Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2022, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #97906
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you are very rich you could buy as much IrnBru as you could possibly drink.

I recently tried one of the unleaded variation of IrnBru as required in England under the reduction of sugar laws. Tasted different. And not an improvement.

I tend not to drink much of such kind of drinks but would prefer the sugar version than the chemistry lab sweetened versions.

09-03-2022, 12:35 PM - 4 Likes   #97907
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
"Money doesn't make you happy," said Spike Milligan, "but at least you can be miserable in comfort."
"money can't buy everything, but let's not get confused. The things that money cannot buy are very seldom used." ~ Nipsey Russell
09-03-2022, 12:54 PM   #97908
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
If you are very rich you could buy as much IrnBru as you could possibly drink.

I recently tried one of the unleaded variation of IrnBru as required in England under the reduction of sugar laws. Tasted different. And not an improvement.

I tend not to drink much of such kind of drinks but would prefer the sugar version than the chemistry lab sweetened versions.
The original version (1901 recipe) is head and shoulders above 21st century versions, but I fear drinking as much as you possibly could would be a short, but pleasant, trip to Type II diabetes. Sigh.

It's on sale again at the moment, we saw it in Morrisons last evening. A bit more expensive than the woke version, but a treat for the cognoscenti...
09-03-2022, 01:02 PM   #97909
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always find it funny how many people assume the rich don't need to work. It's not about the money – it's about being a winner, being more successful than the rest. Most rich people I've met work much, much harder than the rest: that's why they're rich. Not happy, mind you, but definitely rich.

"Money doesn't make you happy," said Spike Milligan, "but at least you can be miserable in comfort."
Jeff was so miserable he quit.

09-03-2022, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #97910
dbs
Pentaxian

All Car manufacturers using the same generic part .... mmmm ... They will all say that they will go broke .... poor things.
But yes as a consumer it does sound like a sound way to go.

BACON
09-03-2022, 10:35 PM   #97911
Pentaxian

The original version (1901 recipe) is head and shoulders above 21st century versions, but I fear drinking as much as you possibly could would be a short, but pleasant, trip to Type II diabetes. Sigh.

It's on sale again at the moment, we saw it in Morrisons last evening. A bit more expensive than the woke version, but a treat for the cognoscenti...
The unleaded one I got was at Home Bargains, apparently the only shop in UK that sells Barkeepers Friend. Useful product, that.
09-03-2022, 10:42 PM - 2 Likes   #97912
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
In modern automobiles they use soy based rubber insulation on the wires. ie food for rodents.
It gets worse. Some new plumbing pipe is irresistible to rodents, due to the same "green" plastics.

09-04-2022, 04:52 AM - 2 Likes   #97913
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It gets worse. Some new plumbing pipe is irresistible to rodents, due to the same "green" plastics.
I can't wait until they eat into the battery wiring of electric vehicles. That will be rather spectacular. One has to wonder of some the the EV fires already reported were due to this.

Last edited by gaweidert; 09-04-2022 at 10:38 AM.
09-04-2022, 05:18 AM - 2 Likes   #97914
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always find it funny how many people assume the rich don't need to work. It's not about the money – it's about being a winner, being more successful than the rest. Most rich people I've met work much, much harder than the rest: that's why they're rich. Not happy, mind you, but definitely rich.

America is full of millionaires. A million dollars is not that much money. (Just ask our politicians who now spend by the trillions.) It is not hard to become one with a little bit of discipline over time. Technically I am one. But it involves retirement saving and the value of our house. My income itself is limited to Social Security and the pitiful remnants of my Kodak pension. I lost about 85% of it as the company spiraled downward. It used to be decent beer money but now it barely fills up my truck with gas once a month. I have already lost over 23% of the value of it to inflation since I retired in 2016.

When we first got married our grocery bill was about $25 a week. Now with the two of us it is $160 a week and my wife is a coupon queen. Since the start of this year, the price a two pack of Strohman's bread at BJ's Wholesale club has gone from $2.89 to $4,79.

When I was 18 in 1969 I figured that if I could just get a job making $100 and week, I would be set for life

Trivia- Albert Einstein considered compound interest the greatest mathematical discovery in history.

Padawan, learn the rule of 72 and use it wisely.

BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
09-04-2022, 08:26 AM   #97915
Pentaxian

There is a phenomenon of high wealth but very low cash flow that leaves one in trouble.

That is where a reverse mortgage becomes tempting.
09-04-2022, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #97916
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
During F1 qualifying at Zandvoort yesterday some dope tossed an orange smokebomb onto the racetrack, causing a red flag.

Idiot.

He was found, and ejected.

There was a reported 300,000 people there for the race. All bussed in.

I saw an aerial view during the TV coverage, showing the sea of buses parked on the highway that parallels the beach near the raceway. The logistics of moving over a quarter million people into, and then out of, such a small area must rival the busiest commute hours in any of the major world cities, Tokyo, London, New York, Hong Kong . . . . .

I wonder how our friend @crossed-up is doing?

I hope he is getting enough bacon.
09-04-2022, 10:20 AM - 3 Likes   #97917
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Most rich people I've met work much, much harder than the rest: that's why they're rich.
...and the rest of them are rich because their dads worked hard.

But you won't get (seriously) rich just from working hard. It's working hard at cutting corners and flouting rules that does it. The hardest part, of course, is getting away with it, at least until you've amassed enough to buy the most expensive lawyers.
09-04-2022, 10:47 AM - 2 Likes   #97918
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
A million dollars is not that much money.
True - and not so true. It depends on where you live. In a low-income, low-cost country a million dollars still is quite a fortune.
09-04-2022, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #97919
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
True - and not so true. It depends on where you live. In a low-income, low-cost country a million dollars still is quite a fortune.
It’s all relative, another discovery of the recently referred to Albert.
09-04-2022, 12:01 PM - 2 Likes   #97920
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
...and the rest of them are rich because their dads worked hard.
That doesn't last long: without the earnings to match a rich person's lifestyle the money disappears very quickly. Not every rich person's child has their father or mother's drive and ability to maintain the success.

Gosh, we've gone very profound of late!