Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2022, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #98026
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yesterday morning it was 7,500 acres, uncontained.

By yesterday evening it was over 8,000 acres and growing, still uncontained.

We got a short break from the smoke and ash around midday, as the winds shifted, but by late afternoon the smoke and ash was back.

There are dozens of other fires in the region, British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California. It’s like the whole west coast is on fire.

Interesting note, the smoke had a sweet scent, like incense.

Odd.
I remember a few years ago, my wife and I were in Alberta/Montana/Wyoming/North Dakota/South Dakota/Saskatchewan region for a road trip.

We were in the Waterton-Glacier parks area...and the smoke from forest fires in British Columbia and Montana...was awful.

Hope you get relief soon.

09-12-2022, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #98027
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Hope you get relief rain soon.
Fixed it for ya.
09-13-2022, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #98028
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Rain but not thunder helps for big fires.

Firefighting is only useful if targeted at saving buildings and similar.
09-13-2022, 02:59 AM   #98029
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I remember a few years ago, my wife and I were in Alberta/Montana/Wyoming/North Dakota/South Dakota/Saskatchewan region for a road trip.

We were in the Waterton-Glacier parks area...and the smoke from forest fires in British Columbia and Montana...was awful.

Hope you get relief soon.
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Fixed it for ya.
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Rain but not thunder helps for big fires.

Firefighting is only useful if targeted at saving buildings and similar.
I think it has been more than two months since we had any measurable precipitation. Sure, there were one or two days when it sprinkled a bit, but the water evaporated before it hit the ground.

09-13-2022, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #98030
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it has been more than two months since we had any measurable precipitation. Sure, there were one or two days when it sprinkled a bit, but the water evaporated before it hit the ground.
It's all been falling here. We had over 200mm of rain last month, with over 300mm in the ranges.
09-13-2022, 05:08 AM   #98031
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Experimenting with using solar powered garden lights for indoor night time lighting tonight. Current set up is not very satisfactory. Tomorrow I should try charging a string of solar powered Christmas lights. See whether that is bright enough to be a bit useful.

Seems like a better solution than candles for winter nights when those who lord it over us are promising us winter power cuts. We already have the lights so it is a zero capital investment solution.
How about a proper solar setup? A couple of 6V car batteries, a solar panel or two, a solar controller, and a small inverter
09-13-2022, 05:45 AM   #98032
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
For anybody who loves to wrench (Not wench this is not a typo and we have rules here, I think.) and likes to take some tools on the road, this guy has done a school bus conversion that is on a level all by itself. Pure genius as a designer, and fabricator. His explanation for the logo is a heck of an insight into human psychology. It is his home away from home while on the job site. I am in awe of this guy and his creation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL3Kw7rHErM
I want one! :-)

09-13-2022, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #98033
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not having winter power cuts, probably because we have plentiful and still relatively cheap hydroelectric power.

Still, living in a rural mountain area, the power does go out frequently. We get by the old fashioned way when the power goes out.

Nice kerosene lamp collection!
09-13-2022, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #98034
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a wildfire about 50 miles from my house. They are evacuating people. All day the sky looked cloudy, but it is smoke from the fire. The daylight has an eerie orange cast, the sun an orange orb in the sky that one can look at directly, with no risk of eye damage. Ash has been falling all day, like snow, covering everything in a light dusting of it.

*edit*

From King5 News:

US Highway 2 Closed Near Index

I never really think of this area as far away, at 50 miles. I’m there frequently, passing through or stopping in and around that area.

Some raw video from today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=LZB1YWWJyfc&themeRefresh=1

I took the picture from my driveway at 1:30 today after I got home from work. Those are not clouds in the sky.
Good luck!!!
09-13-2022, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #98035
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
No, I don't think anyone can forget it.
A grim day.
Unfortunately and sadly, every day in this world can be remembered for something grim. 911 was sensationally grim but between school shootings, residential school atrocities, 3rd world horrors not even considered to be news worthy, despicable war crimes, and so much more, I regrettably cannot, personally, single out any horror to not forget. But that's just me.
09-13-2022, 07:52 AM - 3 Likes   #98036
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting experience at the dentist today. The Novocaine never kicked in. Had the filling done without it. I out went for breakfast on the way home. Still waiting for it to kick in 2 hours later.
09-13-2022, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #98037
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
How about a proper solar setup? A couple of 6V car batteries, a solar panel or two, a solar controller, and a small inverter
Keep all connections bright and tight!
09-13-2022, 08:02 AM - 2 Likes   #98038
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Today is International Chocolate Day.

INTERNATIONAL CHOCOLATE DAY - September 13, 2022 - National Today

Be sure to celebrate by having an extra helping of your favorite chocolate!
09-13-2022, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #98039
Pentaxian

We went a long time with none and about a week ago it started with modest rain for not too long and now the ground is getting moist.
09-13-2022, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #98040
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Start with an experiment with the stuff we already had.