Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2022, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #98071
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yes, the new 400Z is out. In fact, one has been wrecked already, by a lot boy at a dealership. After washing it for delivery to the customer, he went for a quick spin, and tried his hand at drifting.

Lost control.

Made a mess of the car.
The story about the first wrecked new Z:

2023 Nissan Z Already Wrecked Before It Leaves The Dealership

09-14-2022, 08:28 PM - 3 Likes   #98072
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just found this thread, for reasons which are unimportant.

6539 pages?

I am not worthy.

(I am also not reading all of it...J/S)
09-14-2022, 08:54 PM - 2 Likes   #98073
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Show me a clean and tidy workshop, and I’ll show you a workshop where nothing ever gets done.

Notice I have room to work, even have a lift so those pesky jobs on the undercarriage can be performed while standing, rather than rolling around on a creeper on the floor.
Actually, I've long been tempted to install a pit! It would be fairly easy to do, although a fair bit of digging. Then, the trick, of course, is to make sure it does not fill up with groundwater.
I can just see my wife's face when I start cutting a rectangular slot out of the garage floor. I suspect it would go down about as well as a lead balloon.
09-14-2022, 08:56 PM - 3 Likes   #98074
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MXLX Quote
Just found this thread, for reasons which are unimportant.

6539 pages?

I am not worthy.

You've wandered into the completely satirical and famous WIWBAK3 thread. If you'd like to join in the banter, go right ahead.

If you'd like to do "gear talk", then please read the entire thread and answer the 402 question multiple choice questionnaire which you can find about halfway down page 2409.
You'll find questions like: "What Is the Airspeed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow?" Answers include: "African or European?"
If that sounds too hard, then write a 100 page essay on "bacon" or "squirrels" and stand in the corner for a half hour.

Or, do what we do and just join in the fun.

Welcome to "The Thread".

09-14-2022, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #98075
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ouch. Very expensive mess that is. The new Z sells for a pretty high price here. NZ$85,000. Pre-order only, none of the cars have arrived yet.

Mind you, you'll have to find NZ$155,000 for the new C8 Corvette, so maybe the Z is cheap!
09-14-2022, 10:14 PM - 2 Likes   #98076
Pentaxian

Yes, the new 400Z is out. In fact, one has been wrecked already, by a lot boy at a dealership. After washing it for delivery to the customer, he went for a quick spin, and tried his hand at drifting.

Lost control.

Made a mess of the car.
Sounds career limiting. Wonder what the lot boy will put in his LinkedIn profile.
09-14-2022, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #98077
Pentaxian

Looks like a few hits with a hammer at the panel beaters will do the job. Then give it to the customer as a loaner car while they make a few phone calls for a new one.

09-14-2022, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #98078
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Panel beaters, unfortunately, these days are really "fitters".
A lost art, panel beating.
09-15-2022, 04:34 AM - 2 Likes   #98079
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Panel beaters, unfortunately, these days are really "fitters".
A lost art, panel beating.
Like so many things. Reducing the skills of the repair people.

Did I tell you about my car where the engine warning light came on. The repair place got me through the MOT by resetting it and it stuck till the end of the test and they chalked up a failed test and charged me for a second test which it passed.

Turns out the cause was a failing battery, not anything to do with the engine.

Lost skills in the fit and replace culture that do not lead to ability to correctly diagnose faults.

Of course, the customer pays for both the real repair and all the wrong turns along the way.
09-15-2022, 04:52 AM - 4 Likes   #98080
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Looking at your workshop, when I saw the Z in there, reminded me of the new Z, not sure if it's on the market yet, but saw it on a new Jay Leno Garage show. Brie Larson was the spokesperson and took Jay out for a spin in this new Z car. It looks to me, like a retro of the original 240 Z (shares some styling cues) and I think Nissan knocked this one out of the park.

But then I've felt, since I first saw a 240 Z...when it first came out (1970-'71 ?) that the original 240Z was perfect , in both style and performance for it's time.

Lost control.

Made a mess of the car.
Oh nice car!

09-15-2022, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #98081
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Like so many things. Reducing the skills of the repair people.

Did I tell you about my car where the engine warning light came on. The repair place got me through the MOT by resetting it and it stuck till the end of the test and they chalked up a failed test and charged me for a second test which it passed.

Lost skills in the fit and replace culture that do not lead to ability to correctly diagnose faults.

Of course, the customer pays for both the real repair and all the wrong turns along the way.
Which is why I TRY to do all my repairs myself...I'd rather I take the wrong turns
09-15-2022, 05:19 AM - 3 Likes   #98082
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MXLX Quote
Then how do expect to pass the quiz at the end?
09-15-2022, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #98083
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually the battery plays a very important part in the operation of the engine, and the transmission, the brakes, every system in the car that uses electricity.

A fully charged battery in top operating condition is integral to a properly functioning vehicle.

All too often these days mechanics simply throw parts at a car until they throw the one that replaces the malfunctioning part. It is too difficult to actually learn troubleshooting and follow a logical series of steps to track down the problem.

I haven’t paid someone else to work on my vehicles in over 45 years.

As I’ve said before, I became a mechanic because I didn’t like paying some moron to make things worse.

That said, there are actually more good mechanics than bad ones. It’s just the few who give the rest a bad name.
09-15-2022, 12:38 PM - 2 Likes   #98084
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I see these videos every few days. This one was particularly entertaining.

09-15-2022, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #98085
Pentaxian

I know the battery is very important. The mechanic should have considered the battery state as a first test. Fixing that would fix a host of problems and potential problems such as not starting on a cold day.

I would like a pricing of repairs based on making the problem go away, so they can try as many things as they think of but you only pay for the repair that was really necessary. The mechanics choice whether they remove wrongly fitted spares and refit the old ones, but the customer only pays the parts and labour for the fix that made the problem go away. Mechanics would think more to diagnose the real problem and save you time too.

I guess that is like the problem I had with the Samsung phone service provider. See a few pages back.

Price to make the problem go away is like NHS dentist pricing. BTW the dental prices would enable the dentist to UPGRADE to a 2005 Ford Focus, no question about needing a BMW or Mercedes.