Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2022, 04:29 PM - 3 Likes   #98206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Good find.
Not too many roads around for this rig .... that is no corners .... Nullarbor plain maybe.
It doesn't mind roads with corners, it makes it's own roads without them!

Driving outback roads has it's own set of "rules", one of which is that if one of these comes behind you, get out of the way! And I don't mean pull over to the side, I mean pull right off the road!

If you see a truck coming towards you you do the same, then wait for it to pass and the dust to settle before setting off again.

09-28-2022, 06:50 PM - 2 Likes   #98207
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
It doesn't mind roads with corners, it makes it's own roads without them!

Driving outback roads has it's own set of "rules", one of which is that if one of these comes behind you, get out of the way! And I don't mean pull over to the side, I mean pull right off the road!

If you see a truck coming towards you you do the same, then wait for it to pass and the dust to settle before setting off again.
I marvel at those Australian road trains.

Amazing how much of a load and how many trailers an American highway tractor can pull. The trucks pulling these loads seem to be of U.S. manufacture.

I have no idea, of what a road train can pull...when it comes to maximum weight and numbers of trailers, but if must be held by an Australian trucker, but the record must be in Australia.

And of course, Australia does have some fine railway trains.

My in-laws went on a trip on the Ghan train in Australia. My FIL was a superintendent with the CNR (Canadian National Railway) and was quite impressed with this train.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=b9620c6beabb954cJmltdHM9MTY2NDMyMzIwMCZpZ3VpZ...lX0doYW4&ntb=1
09-29-2022, 01:59 AM - 3 Likes   #98208
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I marvel at those Australian road trains.

Amazing how much of a load and how many trailers an American highway tractor can pull. The trucks pulling these loads seem to be of U.S. manufacture.
The tractors in Australia are manufactured there, by Australian branches of US truck manufacturers, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Freightliner, Western Star, etc.

They have features specific to Australia, right hand drive, raised air intakes, rock screens ahead of the windshield, heavier frames and axles, etc.

Oh, and the engines.

Usually around 1,000 horsepower versions of the 400 to 500 horsepower engines used in the US.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 09-29-2022 at 05:44 PM.
09-29-2022, 02:14 AM   #98209
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Says the man from the land of the road train.

Hmm how fast do they go and how long do they take to stop?

09-29-2022, 02:33 AM - 2 Likes   #98210
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Up too a max of 100 kph , but can vary on configuration.....
How long .. a prime mover ( tractor ) on its own ( unladen ) can out brake a car... and increase from there . just don't be in front of
09-29-2022, 03:18 AM   #98211
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Up too a max of 100 kph , but can vary on configuration.....
How long .. a prime mover ( tractor ) on its own ( unladen ) can out brake a car... and increase from there . just don't be in front of
There you go.
09-29-2022, 07:26 AM - 2 Likes   #98212
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry, dropped out for a bit... What did I miss - apart from a lot of car talk, some bike talk, and some train talk? And the return of the lost Bert?

09-29-2022, 07:32 AM   #98213
Pentaxian

There you go.
Still intrigued to know how long a full road train takes to stop. Aren't there regulations about that sort of thing?

09-29-2022, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #98214
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Still intrigued to know how long a full road train takes to stop. Aren't there regulations about that sort of thing?
...and what's the 0-100 kph time? A fortnight or thereabouts?

Some info on road train traffic, though, including stopping distances: Driving with road trains | NT.GOV.AU
09-29-2022, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #98215
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t think there are regulations, but there is the design and engineering of the brakes, just like on any vehicle. Brakes must be sized to be able to dissipate the forward motion of the expected mass, and be able to absorb and dissipate the heat created when operating, without failure.

I believe the manufacturers publish the designed stopping distances of vehicles, based on the maximum designed weight capacity and speeds. A fully laden tractor trailer rig will always have a stopping distance much greater than that of the family car.

I’ll add some more here:

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) calculates the stopping distance of semi-trucks vs. cars as follows:

A normal passenger vehicle driving at 65 miles per hour will need about 300 feet to stop.
A fully loaded commercial truck driving at 65 miles per hour will need about 600 feet to stop.
For a more visual comparison, a car takes about the length of a football field to stop, while a semi-truck needs the distance of approximately two football fields to stop.

I believe the more common road train configuration Down Under is a prime mover and four trailers. So given the above, a road train should take around 1,200 feet to stop, about four football fields.

Additionally, stopping distance can vary significantly based on road conditions and other factors.

Reaction time. Most drivers take about 1.5 seconds to react after seeing a hazard that requires action. Since truck drivers sit a bit higher, they may have a slight advantage over drivers in cars or pickups, but the advantage is minimal.

Vehicle weight. A fully laden tractor trailer weighs around 80,000lbs, a car around 4,000, so a truck is 20 times heavier than a car.

Road surface and grade. A downhill slope will increase stopping distances dramatically, and exponentially based upon the weight. Gravel, rain, snow or ice also increase stopping distances, again, influenced by the weight.

Speed. Newton’s law, an object in motion tends to remain in motion, unless acted upon by an opposing force. The faster the object, and the greater the mass, the larger the required opposing force to slow or stop it, and the longer it will take.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 09-29-2022 at 10:20 AM.
09-29-2022, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #98216
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Sorry, dropped out for a bit... What did I miss - apart from a lot of car talk, some bike talk, and some train talk? And the return of the lost Bert?
Who seems to have gone AWOL again.

Should we tip off his boss now or wait till December when the guard duty punishment will be harder?
09-29-2022, 11:26 AM   #98217
Pentaxian

I don’t think there are regulations, but there is the design and engineering of the brakes, just like on any vehicle. Brakes must be sized to be able to dissipate the forward motion of the expected mass, and be able to absorb and dissipate the heat created when operating, without failure.

I believe the manufacturers publish the designed stopping distances of vehicles, based on the maximum designed weight capacity and speeds. A fully laden tractor trailer rig will always have a stopping distance much greater than that of the family car.

I’ll add some more here:

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) calculates the stopping distance of semi-trucks vs. cars as follows:

A normal passenger vehicle driving at 65 miles per hour will need about 300 feet to stop.

A fully loaded commercial truck driving at 65 miles per hour will need about 600 feet to stop.

For a more visual comparison, a car takes about the length of a football field to stop, while a semi-truck needs the distance of approximately two football fields to stop.

I believe the more common road train configuration Down Under is a prime mover and four trailers. So given the above, a road train should take around 1,200 feet to stop, about four football fields.

Additionally, stopping distance can vary significantly based on road conditions and other factors.

Reaction time. Most drivers take about 1.5 seconds to react after seeing a hazard that requires action. Since truck drivers sit a bit higher, they may have a slight advantage over drivers in cars or pickups, but the advantage is minimal.

Vehicle weight. A fully laden tractor trailer weighs around 80,000lbs, a car around 4,000, so a truck is 20 times heavier than a car.

Road surface and grade. A downhill slope will increase stopping distances dramatically, and exponentially based upon the weight. Gravel, rain, snow or ice also increase stopping distances, again, influenced by the weight.

Speed. Newton’s law, an object in motion tends to remain in motion, unless acted upon by an opposing force. The faster the object, and the greater the mass, the larger the required opposing force to slow or stop it, and the longer it will take.
Seems the maximum length of a road train is 53.5m or 4 trailers so was that image above a joke?

09-29-2022, 11:54 AM - 3 Likes   #98218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems the maximum length of a road train is 53.5m or 4 trailers so was that image above a joke?
Of course it was! So was this:–

There are some really hot Photoshoppists in Bangladesh. This train was originally uncluttered by any superfluous people...
09-29-2022, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #98219
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Primarily you missed the mental stimulation, that constant reading of this thread provides. One of the reasons I read it, aside from pure enjoyment (I kid you not) is to keep my brain active and my mental faculties....shap.
09-29-2022, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #98220
Pentaxian

I’ll add some more here:

Good reading. In the end, we can't defeat the laws of physics.