Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2022, 09:12 PM - 2 Likes   #98296
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As to 70's cars, The P1800ES always gave me sweaty gums. A clean example still does.

My first car was a 1969 Datsun 510. This was after my brother had a 510 wagon then a 510 two-door. Mine was a red 4-door. So was the '72 I replaced it with after a guy broadsided me in Enid, OK. Paint oxidized almost while you were watching, but the engine was near bullet-proof.

A high school classmate had a 510 (1600) SSS:

Hers was Kelly green; can't remember whether it was 2- or 4- door. She was a looker, so none of the other girls could figure out why the guys wanted the car worse than her. Hers was a tough family: Two of her three sisters were homecoming queens...
But back to the 1600SSS: Its claim to fame was putting the BMWs to shame in the SCCA 2.5 Challenge for 1971-72.

10-04-2022, 10:39 PM   #98297
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Yes, I have thought that for awhile now.

Up to this year, I thought the great wave of putting the cart before the horse, as it were, was going to continue to sweep along, mowing all constructive criticism down, and become the new way, fashionably endorsed by celebrities and politicians.

But this year, with all the things happening, mostly of the geopolitical variety, it has seemed to trigger a fresh look at alternatives.

Which I welcome.
I remember a few years ago when all the European governments were shouting so loud about the environmental benefits of diesel cars that now it is hard to trust any information. They punish us for having believed them. A fair action would be to ban new ones but allow owners to use to final disposal the existing stock.
10-05-2022, 12:08 AM - 2 Likes   #98298
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Once the tech improves, hydrogen will make a great fuel. Unfortunately, we're not there yet.
Unless they find a cheap way of splitting out the hydrogen (i.e. some other way than electrolysis) I doubt the efficiency will ever get considerably better. I don't think they will, but it would be great if I'm wrong.

Fuel cells seem to be more efficient than ICEs, though.
10-05-2022, 12:09 AM - 2 Likes   #98299
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

The first time I saw it, I stared at it so intently that I walked squarely into a tree. Great big pin oak. Ever walked into a tree? It's like hitting a brick wall!
No car has ever made me stare that intently, no...

10-05-2022, 12:16 AM - 3 Likes   #98300
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MXLX Quote
As to 70's cars, The P1800ES always gave me sweaty gums. A clean example still does.

My first car was a 1969 Datsun 510. This was after my brother had a 510 wagon then a 510 two-door. Mine was a red 4-door. So was the '72 I replaced it with after a guy broadsided me in Enid, OK. Paint oxidized almost while you were watching, but the engine was near bullet-proof.

A high school classmate had a 510 (1600) SSS:

Hers was Kelly green; can't remember whether it was 2- or 4- door. She was a looker, so none of the other girls could figure out why the guys wanted the car worse than her. Hers was a tough family: Two of her three sisters were homecoming queens...
But back to the 1600SSS: Its claim to fame was putting the BMWs to shame in the SCCA 2.5 Challenge for 1971-72.
You're right, of course. While the P1800 is a beautiful car...

The P1800ES is sculpture on wheels.

10-05-2022, 12:24 AM - 3 Likes   #98301
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
No car has ever made me stare that intently, no...
Not even a '56 Continental?

Consider that Ford sold every single one at a giant loss, because they made it as good as they could, no expense spared. The grille, alone, cost as much to build as an entire full size '56 Ford.

That's right. One of these....

.... cost the same to make as just the grille on the Lincoln.
10-05-2022, 01:23 AM - 3 Likes   #98302
dbs
Pentaxian

MMM

But ...... can the grille carry 4 people to the shops and back .....

10-05-2022, 08:06 AM - 3 Likes   #98303
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On those last lovely cars...I may need to go outside and cool off.
10-05-2022, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #98304
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe I've never seen one. And if I had I wouldn't know. I would look at it and wonder how many gallons to the mile... And then walk/drive on
10-05-2022, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #98305
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unless they find a cheap way of splitting out the hydrogen (i.e. some other way than electrolysis) I doubt the efficiency will ever get considerably better. I don't think they will, but it would be great if I'm wrong.
That’s the six million dollar question, but it will always take more energy to split hydrogen from water than you get back in a fuel cell. Think of skiing downhill - first get up the hill! Doesn’t matter whether you take the gently inclined 5 mile trail which winds slowly to the top or just walk straight up the hill, the hill has to be climbed before the fun bit. Some folks think it can’t be hard, we have lots of water, but it will still take all that energy to get the hydrogen from it.

/rant
10-05-2022, 12:17 PM   #98306
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
That’s the six million dollar question, but it will always take more energy to split hydrogen from water than you get back in a fuel cell. Think of skiing downhill - first get up the hill! Doesn’t matter whether you take the gently inclined 5 mile trail which winds slowly to the top or just walk straight up the hill, the hill has to be climbed before the fun bit. Some folks think it can’t be hard, we have lots of water, but it will still take all that energy to get the hydrogen from it.

/rant
What, are you implying that we cannot somehow ignore the laws of physics?! Common...
10-05-2022, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #98307
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would look at it and wonder how many gallons to the mile... And then walk/drive on
Whatever it is, there's worse. It didn't even make the top, er, bottom 10. 10 Used Cars with the Worst Gas Mileage in History
10-05-2022, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #98308
Pentaxian

Consider that Ford sold every single one at a giant loss, because they made it as good as they could, no expense spared. The grille, alone, cost as much to build as an entire full size '56 Ford.

That's right. One of these....

.... cost the same to make as just the grille on the Lincoln.

The Continental Mark ll was certainly one of the most impressive automobiles of the 20th century. I do recall seeing one, and only one, in my city and that was an awful, long time ago. When I was a young teenager.

Mark, you may have seen this article in a Hemmings publication, but if not....it is the car that was made for its creator, William Clay Ford Sr. It is still around, but now has a more modern Ford 460 cubic inch (7.5 liter) V8 installed.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...rCkp7YCoF95kQ1

My parents had one of the cars you mentioned in your post. Was it the Continental Mk. ll,... no....they had a '56 Ford Fairlane 4 door, post sedan, blue and white as per the pix in your post...with the 'big' engine of that year...the 312 cubic inch-225 HP V8 (Y8) and automatic. Nice car.

I wonder what the grille of a '56 Continental Mk. ll would be worth now ?
10-05-2022, 01:23 PM - 3 Likes   #98309
Pentaxian

I believe I've never seen one. And if I had I wouldn't know. I would look at it and wonder how many gallons to the mile... And then walk/drive on
I don't think so Savoche. I have seen one, albeit just one and that was many years ago, when I was a kid.

There are certain cars, that I recall seeing for the first time, that I was very impressed with...in fact, I still recall the moment when I saw them. All those many years ago.

They are:

-Continental Mk. ll

-'61 Jaguar XK-E couple...first year it came out

-'63 Corvette Stingray, split window coupe, 327 V8, fuel injection...first and only year of the Corvette split window coupe. I believe, if a competent driver took you for a spin in this car...and used all its performance, with you in the shotgun seat...I don't think the first thing to cross your mind would be...I wonder what kind of MPG this thing gets.

-1961 Lincon Continental, 4 door sedan, with suicide doors, black exterior, black interior.
10-05-2022, 01:26 PM   #98310
Pentaxian

You're right, of course. While the P1800 is a beautiful car...

The P1800ES is sculpture on wheels.
I worked with a guy, back in the late '60's, that had a Volvo P1800. I was very impressed with the looks of the P 1800.

At the time I was driving a '61 VW Deluxe (Beetle).