Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2022, 06:00 PM - 3 Likes   #98311
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I believe I've never seen one. And if I had I wouldn't know. I would look at it and wonder how many gallons to the mile... And then walk/drive on
The '56 Continental is the epitome of good design in the 50's. It's understated, beautifully engineered and hand built. It's as good a car as you can hope to have from the 1950s.

I'd sell a kidney and possibly both kids, or, if I had a soul, that too.

10-05-2022, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #98312
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
The Continental Mark ll was certainly one of the most impressive automobiles of the 20th century. I do recall seeing one, and only one, in my city and that was an awful, long time ago. When I was a young teenager.

Mark, you may have seen this article in a Hemmings publication, but if not....it is the car that was made for its creator, William Clay Ford Sr. It is still around, but now has a more modern Ford 460 cubic inch (7.5 liter) V8 installed.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...rCkp7YCoF95kQ1

My parents had one of the cars you mentioned in your post. Was it the Continental Mk. ll,... no....they had a '56 Ford Fairlane 4 door, post sedan, blue and white as per the pix in your post...with the 'big' engine of that year...the 312 cubic inch-225 HP V8 (Y8) and automatic. Nice car.

I wonder what the grille of a '56 Continental Mk. ll would be worth now ?
Thanks for that link Les. I've not seen it before. What a lovely example.
Rumour has it that there were two cars produced for William Clay Ford: This one, and a completely one-off '57 model as a hardtop convertible, using the '57 Ford Skyliner hardtop convertible system. But, I've never seen a picture of the convertible, so it may be that it is only a rumour.
10-06-2022, 12:46 AM   #98313
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The '56 Continental is the epitome of good design in the 50's. It's understated, beautifully engineered and hand built. It's as good a car as you can hope to have from the 1950s.

I'd sell a kidney and possibly both kids, or, if I had a soul, that too.
Sure, they were well built. And they look good - if you like that kind of esthetics. And they have engines sufficiently big to compensate for most personal deficiencies.

...but were the cars any good in the 50ies? It's a bit like using the Spruce Goose as the yardstick for good aeroplane design, isn't it?

Ah, now, a ride in the Spruce Goose, that would be a memorable event
10-06-2022, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #98314
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Think of skiing downhill - first get up the hill! Doesn’t matter whether you take the gently inclined 5 mile trail which winds slowly to the top or just walk straight up the hill, the hill has to be climbed before the fun bit.
I’ve been downhill skiing since the mid 1970s.

Not once did I ever hike up the mountain. I always ride the chairlift.

10-06-2022, 02:26 AM - 2 Likes   #98315
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I don't think so Savoche. I have seen one, albeit just one and that was many years ago, when I was a kid.

There are certain cars, that I recall seeing for the first time, that I was very impressed with...in fact, I still recall the moment when I saw them. All those many years ago.
We are quite different in some ways, Duke - and that's probably a good thing for you and me both

No, cars just don't make that kind of an impression on me. People can do that, animals can, and even landscapes can.

One of the most scary situations I've ever been in was a taxi ride in Lisbon. I remember the other passengers. I remember the maniac driver, while going 130 kph, slapping his forehead with both hands after running a red light and just missing some crossing traffic. I remember the Doppler effect distorting the sound of the blaring horns. And I remember not wearing a seatbelt. But I have no idea what brand of car it was.
10-06-2022, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #98316
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ah, now, a ride in the Spruce Goose, that would be a memorable event
Especially since it only flew once. When I was stationed in Southern California it was still at Long Beach. It and the Queen Mary were a package deal tour. Both were quite impressive.
10-06-2022, 05:26 AM   #98317
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
We are quite different in some ways, Duke - and that's probably a good thing for you and me both

No, cars just don't make that kind of an impression on me. People can do that, animals can, and even landscapes can.

One of the most scary situations I've ever been in was a taxi ride in Lisbon. I remember the other passengers. I remember the maniac driver, while going 130 kph, slapping his forehead with both hands after running a red light and just missing some crossing traffic. I remember the Doppler effect distorting the sound of the blaring horns. And I remember not wearing a seatbelt. But I have no idea what brand of car it was.
Not surprising you do not remember the car brand.

10-06-2022, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #98318
Pentaxian

I'm sure a ride with that cab driver would of had the same effect on me.

But, like you, a lot of things....people, animals, books, landscapes , vehicles, etc ... make impressions on me.

Two wild animals that probably made the biggest impression on me....one was a very large Grey Wolf...and in parts of the three prairie provinces and northern territories...the Grey Wolves can get very large.

A few years ago, in a provincial park about 25 miles north, from where we live, a Grey Wolf was trapped . It was a lone wolf, not part of a pack, and it was taking pets, livestock in the areas adjoining the park. It was 7 feet, 9 inches from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail and weighed 179 pounds. These were Conservation Dept. measurements.

However there I go digressin' again.

The wolf that made a personal impression on me happened about 30 years ago.

One early morning about dawn, in late March, I was driving slowly around some deep lakes in the Canadian Shield. It was an early ice out for the lakes and the Lake Trout are known to come close to shore at this time.

I was looking for a good spot to fly fish (wet flies) near drop offs...in accessible lakes. No one else was around, that I could see and I was driving about 5-10 mph on a back road that followed the shoreline.

As I was driving slowly....I saw a large Grey Wolf...staring at me...his yellow eyes locked on me....those eyes are really piercing.

I just kept on driving past him, at around slowly....he watched me all the time. As I got about 20 feet past him...he started to move, hesitated...actually... looked both ways at the edge of the road...then quickly crossed...disappearing into the dense Canadian Shield bush.

It was a very brief encounter...but what struck me...was the absolute beauty and power of this massive canine...and the intelligence in the eyes...as we locked stares. Frankly I was glad to be in the car, although reports of wolf attacks against humans are not common.

The other animal, one that I've only seen once in the wild, was a Wolverine. I was with my family, and we were in our freighter canoe, running gas out of the small Evinrude ( 4.5 HP Deluxe) outboard, as part of the winterization process for the outboard.

It was early October, Canadian Thanksgiving, at a lake on the Canadian Shield...which, as an interesting aside was formed millions of years ago when a meteorite crashed . Anyway, it was a beautiful fall day, sunny, not windy, leave colours were at their peak...and we were cruising in our freighter canoe , not too far from the shoreline. We saw a Wolverine by the shoreline....ambling along....with their unusual gait. It was memorable for all of us, as it marked the first time any of us had ever seen a wolverine.

We've seen moose, elk, mountain goats, Dall Sheep, black bears, grizzly bears, Orcas, great gray owls, Golden Eagles, etc...but never before...or since a wolverine.

Of course, both with the wolf and the wolverine...me the family photographer...didn't have a camera with me.

But, both those animal encounters did leave quite an impression on me, just as my first sight of a '63 Corvette, split window fastback with the high performance 327 fuelie engine did....back those many years.

I must admit, that one first impression has stood out, over all others, and that was the first time I met my wife. I recall looking into her eyes, which are as deep and blue as the Aegean Sea. I was hooked.
10-06-2022, 12:28 PM - 2 Likes   #98319
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I’ve been downhill skiing since the mid 1970s.

Not once did I ever hike up the mountain. I always ride the chairlift.
Me too, but many folk are hoping for a "chairlift" answer to generating hydrogen for fuel – and there isn't one.

10-06-2022, 02:26 PM - 3 Likes   #98320
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure, they were well built. And they look good - if you like that kind of esthetics. And they have engines sufficiently big to compensate for most personal deficiencies.

...but were the cars any good in the 50ies? It's a bit like using the Spruce Goose as the yardstick for good aeroplane design, isn't it?
Oh, they're plenty good, considering the technology they were working with 66 years ago.
And, they'll be as beautiful 66 years from now as they were then and as they are now.

And, of course, no-one will pay good money for a 2022 Prius in the year 2088.
10-06-2022, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #98321
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Cool Prius.

Said no one, ever.
10-06-2022, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #98322
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Me too, but many folk are hoping for a "chairlift" answer to generating hydrogen for fuel – and there isn't one.

I know people who try or think they can usefully and successfully defy the laws of physics.
10-06-2022, 10:43 PM - 1 Like   #98323
Pentaxian

Thinking back on my last comment. It reminds me of a book proposal review I did for a publisher many years ago. The proposing author was a fat American who had published a number of books and personally known to me. The proposal was not very good but full of self boosting stuff about how popular the proposer’s short courses on the subject were attended. One of my comments was “a little humility would go a long way”.
10-07-2022, 11:32 PM - 2 Likes   #98324
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

50 something km bike ride this morning, and then when I got home I figured I'll do some stuff around the house before having a shower.
So, happy (but sore) to report that I've water blasted the patios and the concrete part of the driveway which took most of the day. Still have some paths to do and one terrace.
Then, I picked up leaves and drained water off the pool cover and picked up grass clippings. And after that I oiled the patio table.

I'm pooped.

Tomorrow I'm photog at a running race, well more of a "fun run" really, although I'm always a bit perturbed by the words "fun" and "run" so close to each other.
10-07-2022, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #98325
Pentaxian

We can’t use pressure washers at the moment because of a drought. Even though the water company has enough water to scour out one of the main roads here which caused traffic chaos across the county because of the lack of implementation of the idea of road network, which to most people means building with reasonable alternative routes.