Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2022, 08:26 AM - 3 Likes   #98716
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Just an observation; no pressure.........................
We are approaching 100,000 posts in this thread. 100,000!

Life is full of hardships and challenges. Sometimes those challenges make life less hard. (Whoa, that was deep!)
The challenge here is to break 100,000 by the new year.
We can do it! Who is up for it?

Go team!!!
Rah rah ree, kick 'em in the knee!
Rah rah rass, kick 'em in the other knee!
With young Bertie on the team we could do it in an afternoon.

11-18-2022, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #98717
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
BTW on the prairies we don't have much in the way of public transportation. No local passenger trains, highway buses (Greyhound pulled out of here a few years back)...and sure there are airplanes, but I'm not a fan of them.
What!?!?! No 'hound? What's the world coming to!
11-18-2022, 09:25 PM   #98718
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I’ve just learned that our oldest grandson was killed late Sunday. He, and three friends were traveling west on the US 70 bypass near La Grange, North Carolina. Another driver was traveling east, the wrong way in the westbound lanes and struck their vehicle head on. Trey (our grandson) and a girl in the backseat were killed instantly, as was the wrong way driver. Another kid in the backseat died early Monday morning, and another young man who was riding in the front of Trey’s car suffered non life threatening injuries.

Trey had joined the US Army a couple years ago, shortly after graduating high school. He was serving with the 182nd Airborne out of Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and his unit had recently returned from a 6 month deployment to Poland.

I had just talked with him Friday, he was planning his next chapter after his enlistment finished, he was looking at attending a lineman apprenticeship program and pursuing a career at an electric utility.

He was just a kid.

I’m going to miss him.
I'm a bit behind on the events in the thread. This is horrible news Sorry for your loss, Racer.
11-19-2022, 06:28 AM   #98719
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'm a bit behind on the events in the thread. This is horrible news Sorry for your loss, Racer.
Thank you Sav.

11-19-2022, 08:50 AM   #98720
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I’ve just learned that our oldest grandson was killed late Sunday. He, and three friends were traveling west on the US 70 bypass near La Grange, North Carolina. Another driver was traveling east, the wrong way in the westbound lanes and struck their vehicle head on. Trey (our grandson) and a girl in the backseat were killed instantly, as was the wrong way driver. Another kid in the backseat died early Monday morning, and another young man who was riding in the front of Trey’s car suffered non life threatening injuries.

Trey had joined the US Army a couple years ago, shortly after graduating high school. He was serving with the 182nd Airborne out of Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and his unit had recently returned from a 6 month deployment to Poland.

I had just talked with him Friday, he was planning his next chapter after his enlistment finished, he was looking at attending a lineman apprenticeship program and pursuing a career at an electric utility.

He was just a kid.

I’m going to miss him.
Racer, so sorry to hear that. There are simply no words to convey but sending your family a hug. I know what it is like to bury a son. He too served in the 82nd Airborne. Sometimes life just sucks and all you can do is plow through it.
11-19-2022, 09:28 AM   #98721
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Racer, so sorry to hear that. There are simply no words to convey but sending your family a hug. I know what it is like to bury a son. He too served in the 82nd Airborne. Sometimes life just sucks and all you can do is plow through it.
Thank you George.
11-19-2022, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #98722
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What!?!?! No 'hound? What's the world coming to!
No hound. Sad state of affairs. Greyhound pulled out of the three prairie provinces, think it was lack of ridership. We have vast areas, not a huge population, no passenger trains...except for one..the Canadian...and that's basically a luxo job for the tourist trade. There are a few northern trains...mostly because roads are few and far between...like the Thompson to Churchill route.

You were saying you have never eyeballed a '68 Mercury Pickup. Here's one, but this is a super deluxe job, with a 390 V8, etc. We had the stripper 3/4 ton work truck with the big inline six and 3 on the tree. But it'll give you the idea.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...auVi0uuuzHudcK

Last edited by lesmore49; 11-19-2022 at 02:43 PM.
11-19-2022, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #98723
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No hound. Sad state of affairs. Greyhound pulled out of the three prairie provinces, think it was lack of ridership. We have vast areas, not a huge population, no passenger trains...except for one..the Canadian...and that's basically a luxo job for the tourist trade. There are a few northern trains...mostly because roads are few and far between...like the Thompson to Churchill route.

You were saying you have never eyeballed a '68 Mercury Pickup. Here's one, but this is a super deluxe job, with a 390 V8, etc. We had the stripper 3/4 ton work truck with the big inline six and 3 on the tree. But it'll give you the idea.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...auVi0uuuzHudcK
That 300ci in line 6 cylinder that Ford made was a great engine. The Taxi that Ford made back then had that engine too. It was a real beast. Almost impossible to kill.
11-19-2022, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #98724
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool truck. Thanks for the link Les.

It seems Greyhound has really suffered as result of COVID. Sad tale.
11-19-2022, 10:00 PM - 4 Likes   #98725
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

After work I took Mrs. Racer to see the orthopedic surgeon yesterday and got the cast off of her wrist and forearm. Now six weeks with a removable brace. She also wanted to pick up a wheeled walker while we were in town, but the store that was supposed to have one didn’t when we went there, and a severe lack of knowledgeable staff to help us out.

So I drove to another town that has a great pharmacy which usually has a good selection of mobility aids, and they were out too, but a nice sales associate was knowledgeable and helpful. She said that they could order one from the warehouse, and it would be in today. Sure enough, she called today around 1 pm, and said it was in.

So I hopped into Eddie and headed for town.

But first I stopped at Costco and picked up two bales of toilet paper for twenty bucks each, and a new fake Christmas tree. Then I swung by the pharmacy and picked up the wheeled walker.

It was dark by the time I started back to the valley the river we live along flows through, and the road that weaves its way over hill and dale. It was so nice to leave the busy Saturday evening bustle of town, the traffic and bright lights of all the cars and trucks. As I followed the country lane through the valley and into the foothills, Eddie’s headlights pointing the way through the darkness, the calm, peaceful countryside pulled me home, to our little slice of paradise by the river.

As John Denver sang, “Hey it’s good, to be back home again”.

11-19-2022, 11:03 PM   #98726
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You live really near the home base of Costco. Was it a super size Costco, with everything they stock in any of their shops, in greater than normal abundance.

And of what are you expecting an epidemic to explain your voluminous purchase?
11-19-2022, 11:06 PM - 1 Like   #98727
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
When Costco opened a shop in Adelaide we took our daughter and she said it looked very American.
11-20-2022, 09:41 AM - 2 Likes   #98728
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
You live really near the home base of Costco. Was it a super size Costco, with everything they stock in any of their shops, in greater than normal abundance.

And of what are you expecting an epidemic to explain your voluminous purchase?
Regular size Costco. Never been to the home store in Issaquah. That location is about 60 miles from us.

Presently the closest is 20 miles away, in a strip mall by the interstate near Arlington. There is a new store scheduled to open after the Thanksgiving holiday, near Lake Stevens, about 16 miles away. They have been working on selecting a site and getting permits for about 8 years now, and the grand opening was delayed from October to December.

The bales of toilet paper have 30 rolls, for $20. Used to be $15, and went up a buck now and again. Still, at $20 for 30 rolls, that’s 67 cents a roll, a considerable savings over other brands sold in smaller packages. Grabbing two bales at a time is a hedge on inflation.

I’ll likely pick up a couple more bales the next time I go there. We have shelves in the basement to store supplies, items with long shelf life, and when there are runs on stuff and store have empty shelves, we don’t worry.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 11-20-2022 at 09:59 PM.
11-20-2022, 02:39 PM - 2 Likes   #98729
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How's this for 65 year old technology.

11-20-2022, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #98730
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Regular size Costco. Never been to the home store in Issaquah. That location is about 60 miles from us.

Presently the closest is 20 miles away, near Arlington. There is a new store scheduled to open after the Thanksgiving holiday, near Lake Stevens, about 16 miles away. They have been working on selecting a site and getting permits for about 8 years now, and the grand opening was delayed from October to December.

The bales of toilet paper have 30 rolls, for $20. Used to be $15, and went up a buck now and again. Still, at $20 for 30 rolls, that’s $1.50 a roll, a considerable savings over other brands sold in smaller packages. Grabbing two bales at a time is a hedge on inflation.

I’ll likely pick up a couple more bales the next time I go there. We have shelves in the basement to store supplies, items with long shelf life, and when there are runs on stuff and store have empty shelves, we don’t worry.
Great Pacific Northwest math is different from Midwest, 30 rolls for $20 here is around 67 cents a roll, an even better price!