Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2022, 08:10 AM   #98746
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
You could do the WWII thing and bolt a big trunk on the back and run it on manure.
So methane produced by cattle is one of the largest sources of greenhouse gases.

And I see that someone has developed meat, grown without the animal, so the number of cattle can be reduced, thereby reducing methane production. This will also reduce the amount of available manure, so we will need to find another source of fuel for the trunk full of poop solution.

11-21-2022, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #98747
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I’m 66 year old technology. You should see the tricks I can do.

Oh, wait.

Never mind.
Yeah. I'll pay to see you folding yourself up like that!
11-21-2022, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #98748
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
You could do the WWII thing and bolt a big trunk on the back and run it on manure.
Heck, I could run it on vodka if I had to!
11-21-2022, 12:50 PM - 3 Likes   #98749
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I’m thinking if the availability of fossil fuels becomes difficult, too expensive or impossible, I’m consumed making my own fuel. Alcohol for the gasoline engines, biodiesel for the diesel engines.

The upside of the alcohol fuels is I could also have something to drink.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 11-21-2022 at 07:39 PM.
11-21-2022, 03:30 PM - 2 Likes   #98750
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't imagine it will be a problem in our lifetimes. But then again, who knows.
11-21-2022, 03:34 PM - 2 Likes   #98751
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Back in the early '70's I drove two commercial vans (E300) with the 300 cube, inline six. Excellent torque, tough as nails, only trouble was once a rad hose burst...but the truck had 96,000 miles plus on it. Not bad.

Ford I believe back then, had the 300 straight six as the standard engine in trucks as large as the medium duty F 500.
My brother in law had an old 4WD HD Ford pickup that he used for plowing snow. It had a 9 foot long bed and a gross weight rating of 9600 pounds of so. It even has 17" slit rim wheels on it. On the front an 8" Western Hydroturn plow. It was a beast and I swear you could climb walls with it. Under the hood was that glorious 300ci in line six engine.
11-21-2022, 03:45 PM - 5 Likes   #98752
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So methane produced by cattle is one of the largest sources of greenhouse gases.

And I see that someone has developed meat, grown without the animal, so the number of cattle can be reduced, thereby reducing methane production. This will also reduce the amount of available manure, so we will need to find another source of fuel for the trunk full of poop solution.
The "experts" tell us that at one time there may have been as many as 90,000,000 bison roaming all over North America. Didn't they fart too? It appears that exterminating them was good for the environment. So I guess them buffalo hunters were early environmentalists. We owe them a debt of gratitude for helping put off climate change.

11-21-2022, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #98753
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yep. That engine was incredible. I had two trucks over the years that had it. The last was a 1995 F150. I believe that was the last year for that engine and, for reasons partly unrelated, that was the last Ford I ever owned.
A few years later I almost bought an F250 with the Powerjoke diesel. Judging from reports I read and the experience of a friend, I dodged (no pun intended) a bullet.
I would say you probably did. I used to go on a RV forum when we had our trailer and camped. I followed the Tow Vehicle forum, and I recall a lot of people weren't happy with the Powerjoke (as it was known by some) diesel, which came out after the famous, well loved 7.3 diesel V8 Ford used in their heavier duty pickups and light commercial trucks.

A former neighbour worked for our city/provincial Hydro utility and he had as his service truck, a Ford F350 cab and chassis , dually utility truck assigned to him for a number of years. It had the 7.3 liter V8 diesel, which as you know was renowned for durability and toughness. He had the manual transmission, 4WD and he loved that truck and the 7.3 engine.

He had close to 500,000 kms on the thing (about 310,000 miles) without much trouble, In fact as it was a utility truck, it in addition had many more hours on the engine, through a lot of idling (necessary) while it was working.

The 7.3 (think it was an International engine) was a very hard act to follow.
11-21-2022, 08:33 PM   #98754
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
The "experts" tell us that at one time there may have been as many as 90,000,000 bison roaming all over North America. Didn't they fart too? It appears that exterminating them was good for the environment. So I guess them buffalo hunters were early environmentalists. We owe them a debt of gratitude for helping put off climate change.
We have a local wildlife centre with quite a bit of acreage, a few lakes, lots of wildlife out here. About 25 years ago, they had a diorama, of our part of the world, which showed small buffalo (bison) and pronghorn antelope models, roaming the vast Northern Plains...where we live. The diorama depicted the way things were before the 1600's.

Interestingly they also in their little writeup indicated that it was estimated that there was massive amounts of methane generated from the huge herds of these two animals, in particular, back then.

I have noted that that tidbit of info was removed about 15 years ago. Guess it didn't fit into the current narrative.
11-21-2022, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #98755
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The 7.3 (think it was an International engine) was a very hard act to follow.
Yes, it was made by International.
11-21-2022, 08:40 PM   #98756
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
My brother in law had an old 4WD HD Ford pickup that he used for plowing snow. It had a 9 foot long bed and a gross weight rating of 9600 pounds of so. It even has 17" slit rim wheels on it. On the front an 8" Western Hydroturn plow. It was a beast and I swear you could climb walls with it. Under the hood was that glorious 300ci in line six engine.
Sounds like an old 1 ton (F 350) , and that 9 foot box was popular out here in farm / ranch country...that extra box footage came in handy to farmers and ranchers.

On the old family farm, for decades one of our trucks was a '49 Fargo (Canadian Dodge) with a reinforced 9 foot box, medium duty wheels and tires. It was a tough old bird and my FIL had added 3/4 inch plywood to extend the bed capacity...added chains across the top center of the plywood, for extra strength. It was used as a spare grain truck. Quite useful. Slow with its gearing and 251 cube flathead, inline Chrysler six, but very rugged. They used these engines also in some of the early Dodge/Fargo Power wagons, which were based on the old Dodge/Fargo military trucks of WW2..

Thes old flattie Chrysler sixes were also used in those small airport tractors that hauled baggage carts and planes around the airfields.
11-21-2022, 08:44 PM   #98757
Pentaxian

I’m thinking if the availability of fossil fuels becomes difficult, too expensive or impossible, I’m consumed making my own fuel. Alcohol for the gasoline engines, biodiesel for the diesel engines.

The upside of the alcohol fuels is I could also have something to drink.
A buddy of mine, sadly passed away, was a great outdoorsman. Both a hunter and avid fisherman. What he did when he went out fishing for the day, was pick up one of those rings of shrimp at a supermarket....to use as both bait...and for his lunch, in case the fishing wasn't too good that day. Made a great shore lunch.
11-21-2022, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #98758
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Ooooh, tough question Les. I'll try and answer it in three ways.

If I had the funds to spend on a 50's car, I'd spend it on a '56 Continental. It would seem a good one is around $60,000 and a superb example around $80,000. (US$)
That came stock with a 368Cu. engine and that's good enough for me.

If I had enough money to buy two 50's cars, then the '56 Continental is still my first choice, but my second choice would be a '57 Skyliner in Raven Black, Colonial White two-tone with either 292 or 312 engines, but I'll pass on the Paxton supercharger, as it's super rare and bound to push up the price. Auto or manual, I'm not fussy. O/D too, I'm not fussy.

If money was no object I'd want the entire '57 lineup from Custom, Custom 300, to Fairlane and Fairlane 500, with a Ranch Wagon and a Ranchero thrown in for good measure, with the pinnacle of course, being the '57 Skyliner. And, I suppose I'd have to have a Thunderbird too, just to round out the collection! And, of course, the '56 Continental.

Of course, the more likely outcome is that I'll buy a Model T and use that as a every day vehicle just to annoy everyone else. As it will run on practically anything, I'd be able to drive it long after the powers that be outlaw gasoline sales and I'll be able to annoy all and sundry with it.
Great choices. For some reason, I see you in a '57 Ford 300, 2 door sedan post...with a 312 supercharged V8, HD 3 on the tree and O/D...if O/D could handle that power.

My dad's first car was a 1926 Ford Model T, he got when he turned 16 in 1936. It ran ok, except for a hole in the gas tank. No matter, he would buy a pack of gum, before he took it out for a drive and keep on chewing gum. About every 15 minutes he would repatch the hole in the tank, with another freshly chewed stick of gum.

I have mentioned that my parent's had a '58 Ford Ranch Wagon with a 292 V8, three on the tree. As you know for the '58 Ford models were available with the first big blocks
...the FE series engines. In '58 out here, both the 332 and the 352 cube V8 were avaialble.

I have fond memories of the '58 Ford wagon...and if I was extremely wealthy would have a large collection of vintage automobilia, truckobilia, motorcycleobilia...at my mansion.

One vehicle in my collection, would be a '58 Ford wagon, painted the factory green with the gold slash...as per my parent's wagon...beefed up suspension, cooling, braking, comfort...with an FE...but the 428 FE as found in the '68 1/2 Mustang...which was seriously underrated @ around 335 hp...also with a aftermarket 6 speed manual transmission.

Another car in the collection, would be a '60's Volvo PV544....like the one I used to drive.
11-21-2022, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #98759
Pentaxian

And I’m a machinist.

Go figure.

Reminds me of some of the mechanics I know. They drive vehicles verging on vintage.

One has a 20 year old Dodge 3500, 4WD, Cummins, another has a 30 year old Chevy van, the one that looks like a dustbuster, with the Buick 3800 V6.

The vehicle bodies and interiors are showing signs of wear, but the powertrains run sweetly...they do take car of the important bits of their vehicle.
11-21-2022, 11:48 PM - 2 Likes   #98760
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have a local wildlife centre with quite a bit of acreage, a few lakes, lots of wildlife out here. About 25 years ago, they had a diorama, of our part of the world, which showed small buffalo (bison) and pronghorn antelope models, roaming the vast Northern Plains...where we live. The diorama depicted the way things were before the 1600's.

Interestingly they also in their little writeup indicated that it was estimated that there was massive amounts of methane generated from the huge herds of these two animals, in particular, back then.

I have noted that that tidbit of info was removed about 15 years ago. Guess it didn't fit into the current narrative.
The talking heads didn’t want to be outfarted by a lot of wildlife.