Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2022, 06:54 AM   #98806
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Great video about hunting for and preparing wild vegetables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdryXiMmqwk
I guess the Americans, who like to cut up all their food before they eat anything, so it all gets cold before they eat it, so they can treat themselves like they are their own little kid having food that someone they perceive to be someone else prepare d for eating would be happy with that hunting tool that would reduce vegetables to fragments ready for swallowing like tablets so that they do not have to taste it, would like this way of hunting for the sides.

Oh, what a sentence that was. I think I got it to parse right.

11-25-2022, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #98807
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
well, the gist of it, the anti-American sentiment, came through just as with many of your posts.
11-25-2022, 07:44 AM - 2 Likes   #98808
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

But there's a reason we (that is, people with some years on our backs) are called "old farts"
Ahhh...yes. As an old fart myself, I cannot deny that to be the case.
11-25-2022, 07:50 AM   #98809
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
No gear oil yet, I’m still working on wheel ends.

Had to take a break. The left lower ball joint nut is being stubborn, and the right axle didn’t want to pull out, so I headed into the house for a slice of pumpkin pie with whipped cream, and searched the F150 forum for answers.

Also had some more of my world famous German chocolate cake.

And now, back to the shop with my newfound tips and tricks.
I admire those who can do their own repairs. What vehicle of yours, do you find getting parts the most difficult ?

I ask, as we had a 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass, which we bought used in 2003. It was a pretty good car, very comfortable, etc. But we had one problem with it, the driver's power window wouldn't go up and down reliably. Took it to the dealer a number of times, they couldn't get new or even used parts for it ...when the car was 8 years old. They finally got it to work , by repairing the old, parts.

11-25-2022, 09:52 AM - 3 Likes   #98810
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
well, the gist of it, the anti-American sentiment, came through just as with many of your posts.
Don’t feel bad about it, Jim, he’s not terribly fond of the British either and yet he continues to live among us. I believe the expression “go figure” is appropriate.
11-25-2022, 10:20 AM   #98811
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

LOL
11-25-2022, 10:30 AM   #98812
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

… I think I got it to parse right.
Close, sorta, but no cigar.

11-25-2022, 12:25 PM - 3 Likes   #98813
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I admire those who can do their own repairs. What vehicle of yours, do you find getting parts the most difficult ?
My 2001 Dodge Ram. The majority of stuff is available, wheels, tires, brakes, drivetrain, engine. But anything related to coachwork, has been obsoleted, with zero aftermarket support. It has controls on the steering wheel for cruise control and stereo a few years ago the volume control switch broke. Knowing it would be a dealer only item I trotted my happy backside down to the local Dodge dealer parts department.

None available.

Obsoleted.

This when it was about 17 years old.

The cab has marker lights across the forward edge above the windshield. Yellow plastic lenses, with two screws and a rubber o-ring gasket. I’m chasing down a water leak, and suspect it is one of the lights. Again, OEM only. No parts available.

Obsolete.

The grille is plastic, and the points where it mounts are breaking, the plastic having turned brittle with age.

Obsolete.

Being a diesel there is a noise insulating formed blanket, held in place with plastic pop in buttons.

Obsolete.

Oh! However will I keep my Ram compliant with the EPA noise laws?

The stereo it came with was state of the art at the time, AM, FM, cassette, CD, premium Infinity 6 speaker system. But no USB, Bluetooth or even a stereo input jack, so I can’t connect my iPod to have access to my huge music collection.

And the Dodge engineering team made the stereo in an odd size, not DIN or Double DIN, but something in between. There are workarounds, but the aftermarket support for the integrated controls on the steering wheel are lacking.

It is easier to get parts for my 50 year old Z car.
11-25-2022, 01:21 PM - 3 Likes   #98814
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

so I can’t connect my iPod
I thought those were obsoleted a long time ago too.
11-25-2022, 04:36 PM - 6 Likes   #98815
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess the Americans, who like to cut up all their food before they eat anything, so it all gets cold before they eat it, so they can treat themselves like they are their own little kid having food that someone they perceive to be someone else prepared for eating would be happy with that hunting tool that would reduce vegetables to fragments ready for swallowing like tablets so that they do not have to taste it, would like this way of hunting for the sides.

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Don’t feel bad about it, Jim, he’s not terribly fond of the British either and yet he continues to live among us. I believe the expression “go figure” is appropriate.

When I encounter cultural criticism, I usually see it as jealousy, the criticism being the only way the individual can articulate that jealousy.

Seriously, all things considered, there are little differences between the cultures, and plenty of positive things to appreciate all around.

So it makes sense to focus on the positive aspects, rather than waste energy on the negatives.
11-25-2022, 04:41 PM   #98816
dbs
Pentaxian

Consumerism ........ isn't great .......... not
11-25-2022, 05:15 PM   #98817
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought those were obsoleted a long time ago too.
Only just recently was the iPod discontinued. The iPod Touch 7 was discontinued May of this year, with no replacement planned

I have an 80gig iPod Classic, lately living in a 24 bit dock connected to the audio system upstairs. And an iPod Touch 6, 128gig, the kind that looks like a phone, the last year with an actual headphone jack. It gets passed around, in the shop connected via USB to the stereo, or connected via USB in the Legacy, Eddie, and Mrs. Racer’s Corolla. I also use it with noise isolating earbuds when mowing, and at work when I worked in spars, as the daily routine of running a bunch of self feeding drills and installing medium and heavy structures was made less monotonous with a daily sound track in the background. Jack in, go to work, and next thing you know, the day is done.

I also use my iPhone 6, 256 gig to carry my music around, and find all manner of ways to force others to listen to my library. Sometimes when riding is someone else’s car, I’ll pair my phone or iPod with it. At work most crews have one of those large portable speakers that has Bluetooth, and mechanics take turns streaming those pay to listen apps, or, like me, play from a collection of music or use a free, listener supported internet radio station like Radio Paradise.
11-25-2022, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #98818
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

But there's a reason we (that is, people with some years on our backs) are called "old farts"
Because we save them, and use them over and over?
11-25-2022, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #98819
Pentaxian

My 2001 Dodge Ram. The majority of stuff is available, wheels, tires, brakes, drivetrain, engine. But anything related to coachwork, has been obsoleted, with zero aftermarket support. It has controls on the steering wheel for cruise control and stereo a few years ago the volume control switch broke. Knowing it would be a dealer only item I trotted my happy backside down to the local Dodge dealer parts department.

None available.

Obsoleted.

This when it was about 17 years old.

The cab has marker lights across the forward edge above the windshield. Yellow plastic lenses, with two screws and a rubber o-ring gasket. I’m chasing down a water leak, and suspect it is one of the lights. Again, OEM only. No parts available.

Obsolete.

The grille is plastic, and the points where it mounts are breaking, the plastic having turned brittle with age.

Obsolete.

Being a diesel there is a noise insulating formed blanket, held in place with plastic pop in buttons.

Obsolete.

Oh! However will I keep my Ram compliant with the EPA noise laws?

The stereo it came with was state of the art at the time, AM, FM, cassette, CD, premium Infinity 6 speaker system. But no USB, Bluetooth or even a stereo input jack, so I can’t connect my iPod to have access to my huge music collection.

And the Dodge engineering team made the stereo in an odd size, not DIN or Double DIN, but something in between. There are workarounds, but the aftermarket support for the integrated controls on the steering wheel are lacking.

It is easier to get parts for my 50 year old Z car.
I dunno Racer, but after listening to your Cummins diesel with the addition of the 4 inch pipe...yep, that inline six, sounds EPA compliant to my ears.

As far as parts being obsolete or available, not surprised., what I suspected.

My '67 Matchless motorcycle....Made in England...by a factory, that was shut down I think in the late '60's, early '70's is much the same. Hard to get body parts, except for the racing Lyta gas tank , suspension items...rear suspension anyways, can get replacement shocks, front forks...extended Norton Roadholders...I don't think so.

The engine is a Norton Atlas 750cc twin...surprisingly lots of regular parts and performance parts for this engine.

On the other hand, our newest vehicle our 2020 Chevy SUV...I was talking to the salesman at the dealer. He was saying a replacement grill for this 2 year old truck...is hard to come by.

Sounds like if I needed a new one...it would be like chasing down the holy grill.
11-25-2022, 10:52 PM   #98820
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
When I go places I just look at them and questions of why is it so come to mind. Also, my sense of humour is to see incongruence in things in front of me.