Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2022, 10:59 PM   #98821
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is the grill useful for cooking on? Maybe better not get a plastic one!

Last edited by tim60; 11-25-2022 at 11:50 PM.
11-26-2022, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #98822
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
… Sounds like if I needed a new one...it would be like chasing down the holy grill.
Ouch!!
11-26-2022, 04:30 AM - 2 Likes   #98823
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I guess the Americans, who like to cut up all their food before they eat anything, so it all gets cold before they eat it, so they can treat themselves like they are their own little kid having food that someone they perceive to be someone else prepare d for eating would be happy with that hunting tool that would reduce vegetables to fragments ready for swallowing like tablets so that they do not have to taste it, would like this way of hunting for the sides.

Oh, what a sentence that was. I think I got it to parse right.

On of the things we learned in high school in the 1960's was how to diagram a sentence. I think a proper punishment would be for you to diagram that sentence and report back to us.

How many people know what diagramming a sentence is?
11-26-2022, 04:56 AM - 3 Likes   #98824
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I do wonder how easy gasoline will be to get, say in 2035, 2040. As you say...who knows.
Easy as ever. Being an old fart I have heard so many horror stories about when we are going to run out of this or that I ignore all of them as the so called experts turned out not to be so expert after all. In the US the greatest consumer of petroleum is the plastics industry. You never hear anyone predicting the end of the Plastics Age.

I have survived a lot including the Ice Age of the 1990's. Something that climate "experts" were predicting in the 1970's. If the experts predicted it it must have happened and since I am still kicking I must have survived it.

"Experts" at anything rarely have their predictions come true yet we flock to them like the Oracles of Delphi.

For your viewing pleasure:

11-26-2022, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #98825
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I have survived a lot including the Ice Age of the 1990's. Something that climate "experts" were predicting in the 1970's. If the experts predicted it it must have happened and since I am still kicking I must have survived it.
A few years ago I spotted a book, published by BBC books no less, predicting this very thing. It was on the "neglected" shelf in a charity shop. I make no comment on the science or the reputations of the authors, I merely smiled to myself as I thought of what generally gets Auntie in a lather these days.

("Auntie" – generally referring to the British Broadcasting Corporation)
11-26-2022, 08:34 AM - 4 Likes   #98826
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Easy as ever. Being an old fart I have heard so many horror stories about when we are going to run out of this or that I ignore all of them as the so called experts turned out not to be so expert after all. In the US the greatest consumer of petroleum is the plastics industry. You never hear anyone predicting the end of the Plastics Age.

"Experts" at anything rarely have their predictions come true yet we flock to them like the Oracles of Delphi.

For your viewing pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQRqr9_jw5I
In the 1970s they were forecasting the next ice age.

Now, some 50 years later they are forecasting global warming.

A little background.

As a young lad I was pursuing a career in civil engineering, and learned about weather patterns, knowledge required for designing stormwater collection systems. Major storm frequencies are used to determine sizing for catch basins, manholes, underground pipe, and stormwater retention ponds.

Weather follows an ebb and flow, sort of like the tides (although I don’t know if it is influenced by the lunar cycles). Historical data shows weather follows 50 and 100 year cycles. Those 50 and 100 year cyclic extremes are used to determine the size of the stormwater systems.

So, back to the ice age and global warming.

The “ice age” predicted 50 years ago, and the “global warming” of today are nothing more than the typical weather swings proven out through a couple hundred years of weather record keeping.

Enjoy the warmer weather we’ve been having, as there will be some colder, more snowy years coming along soon.
11-26-2022, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #98827
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Much like diagramming a sentence you can break down words to their roots. Expert, phonetically, becomes ex: a has-been and spurt: a drip under pressure.

11-26-2022, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #98828
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Much like diagramming a sentence you can break down words to their roots. Expert, phonetically, becomes ex: a has-been and spurt: a drip under pressure.
Or, ex is former.

And pert is, well, um, pert.

So an expert is one who is formerly pert.
11-26-2022, 08:11 PM - 2 Likes   #98829
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep alert.

We need more lerts.
11-26-2022, 09:52 PM   #98830
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
A few years ago I spotted a book, published by BBC books no less, predicting this very thing. It was on the "neglected" shelf in a charity shop. I make no comment on the science or the reputations of the authors, I merely smiled to myself as I thought of what generally gets Auntie in a lather these days.

("Auntie" – generally referring to the British Broadcasting Corporation)
Also in Australia for the ABC, probably a direct transfer.

Way back the ABC had a comedy show, quite non-PC, called the Auntie Jack Show.
One of the frequent lines in that show led to a slang line for breaking the cross arm on a power line pole ‘Auntie Jack’. The line was ‘rip their xxxxxx arms off’.
11-26-2022, 10:02 PM - 2 Likes   #98831
Pentaxian

I found a nice restaurant a couple of days back. Last night I went for dinner, grilled green chilli half chicken, think grilled meat not one of the stew things Americans call chilli, and a few extras for roll your own wraps. Cost about USD5. Sit outside under a canopy. A local cat seemed attracted by the thought there might be food. There was not for the cat. Other diners, probably not member of the Diners Club, seemed to find it amusing. And for those of you wanting the same, the food is good. The establishment is Tea Souk in Abu Dhabi. When looking for a provider of good food follow the rule that works in the far east. Only eat at a busy place, and if you need to line up to be served that is an even better sign.
11-27-2022, 06:39 AM   #98832
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I found a nice restaurant a couple of days back. Last night I went for dinner, grilled green chilli half chicken, think grilled meat not one of the stew things Americans call chilli,
Right. How could Americans, nearly 20% of whom are Hispanic, know as much about chili (only one L, BTW ) as the Brits. Thanks for the culinary education.
For next week's lesson perhaps you could tell us how menudo or burritos should be properly made.

Last edited by Parallax; 11-27-2022 at 06:47 AM.
11-27-2022, 07:35 AM   #98833
Pentaxian

Right. How could Americans, nearly 20% of whom are Hispanic, know as much about chili (only one L, BTW ) as the Brits. Thanks for the culinary education.
For next week's lesson perhaps you could tell us how menudo or burritos should be properly made.
Menudo and burritos are not names of something else so there is no need to explain them further but chilli is a fruit of the pepper family, used in many culinary traditions to make very hot food. Your use of the word would lead to readers imaging a dinner very different than that that I ate.
11-27-2022, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #98834
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right. How could Americans, nearly 20% of whom are Hispanic, know as much about chili (only one L, BTW ) as the Brits.
Jim, you know that thing about two nations divided by a common language? We write “chilli”.

Sorry!

If it’s any consolation, that last sentence of Tim’s is just excruciating…
11-27-2022, 12:15 PM   #98835
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Chili only has one L in it, when referring to peppers or the stew.

Chilly has two Ls in it when referring to cold weather.

We need to be conservative with our Ls, as excessive usage will leave us with a shortage of them.