Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2022, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #98836
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
We need to be conservative with our Ls, as excessive usage will leave us with a shortage of them.
That's good advice, as our Welsh neighbours are especially profligate with their use. Llewellyns and Llangollen are just ordinary examples of this. (forgive me, for information only!) Mind you, they're nearly as bad with Ds and Fs...

11-27-2022, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #98837
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Chili only has one L in it, when referring to peppers or the stew.

Chilly has two Ls in it when referring to cold weather.

We need to be conservative with our Ls, as excessive usage will leave us with a shortage of them.
Silent letters in words just get left out completely too.
You would think that having everything you would worry about ink
11-27-2022, 04:34 PM - 2 Likes   #98838
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Silent letters in words just get left out completely too.
You would think that having everything you would worry about ink
Wel said!
Or should I have said 'wel writen?'

Last edited by bspn; 11-27-2022 at 04:35 PM. Reason: last line
11-27-2022, 04:54 PM   #98839
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Right. How could Americans, nearly 20% of whom are Hispanic, know as much about chili (only one L, BTW ) as the Brits. Thanks for the culinary education.
For next week's lesson perhaps you could tell us how menudo or burritos should be properly made.
Well tim as you know isn't a Brit

11-27-2022, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #98840
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Well tim as you know isn't a Brit
I'm aware of that. He's an Aussie, living in England, dissing Americans over a Mexican dish. Rather entertaining actually.
11-27-2022, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #98841
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Easy as ever. Being an old fart I have heard so many horror stories about when we are going to run out of this or that I ignore all of them as the so called experts turned out not to be so expert after all. In the US the greatest consumer of petroleum is the plastics industry. You never hear anyone predicting the end of the Plastics Age.

I have survived a lot including the Ice Age of the 1990's. Something that climate "experts" were predicting in the 1970's. If the experts predicted it it must have happened and since I am still kicking I must have survived it.

"Experts" at anything rarely have their predictions come true yet we flock to them like the Oracles of Delphi.

For your viewing pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQRqr9_jw5I
I do recall that,,,it was going to be an ice age. but now it is going to be unbearably hot and we're all going to die...we're doomed...as they say too often in the Pentax Forums.

Dear me, dear me...what can I believe.
11-27-2022, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #98842
Pentaxian

In the 1970s they were forecasting the next ice age.

Now, some 50 years later they are forecasting global warming.

A little background.

As a young lad I was pursuing a career in civil engineering, and learned about weather patterns, knowledge required for designing stormwater collection systems. Major storm frequencies are used to determine sizing for catch basins, manholes, underground pipe, and stormwater retention ponds.

Weather follows an ebb and flow, sort of like the tides (although I don’t know if it is influenced by the lunar cycles). Historical data shows weather follows 50 and 100 year cycles. Those 50 and 100 year cyclic extremes are used to determine the size of the stormwater systems.

So, back to the ice age and global warming.

The “ice age” predicted 50 years ago, and the “global warming” of today are nothing more than the typical weather swings proven out through a couple hundred years of weather record keeping.

Enjoy the warmer weather we’ve been having, as there will be some colder, more snowy years coming along soon.
I'm a history buff. Have a degree in history, among other things. I still read history, archeology ...too much says my long suffering wife.
But what you say, is quite true. Examination of previous climate changes , sea level ups and downs, ice ages, warmer periods, etc... confirms.

11-27-2022, 05:34 PM   #98843
Pentaxian

Much like diagramming a sentence you can break down words to their roots. Expert, phonetically, becomes ex: a has-been and spurt: a drip under pressure.
You always get to the meat of the matter.
11-28-2022, 06:53 PM - 2 Likes   #98844
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm aware of that. He's an Aussie, living in England, dissing Americans over a Mexican dish. Rather entertaining actually.
We are on the world wide web after all.

BACON
11-29-2022, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #98845
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
We are on the world wide web after all.

BACON
Actually I think that we are all ensnared in a world wide web.
11-29-2022, 11:25 AM - 3 Likes   #98846
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
37 days, 3 hours.
11-29-2022, 12:28 PM - 2 Likes   #98847
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I encounter cultural criticism, I usually see it as jealousy, the criticism being the only way the individual can articulate that jealousy.

Seriously, all things considered, there are little differences between the cultures, and plenty of positive things to appreciate all around.

So it makes sense to focus on the positive aspects, rather than waste energy on the negatives.
I like the way you think
11-29-2022, 12:32 PM   #98848
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Easy as ever. Being an old fart I have heard so many horror stories about when we are going to run out of this or that I ignore all of them as the so called experts turned out not to be so expert after all. In the US the greatest consumer of petroleum is the plastics industry. You never hear anyone predicting the end of the Plastics Age.

I have survived a lot including the Ice Age of the 1990's. Something that climate "experts" were predicting in the 1970's. If the experts predicted it it must have happened and since I am still kicking I must have survived it.

"Experts" at anything rarely have their predictions come true yet we flock to them like the Oracles of Delphi.

For your viewing pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQRqr9_jw5I
Is that Leonard Nimoy?
11-29-2022, 12:36 PM   #98849
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I found a nice restaurant a couple of days back. Last night I went for dinner, grilled green chilli half chicken, think grilled meat not one of the stew things Americans call chilli, and a few extras for roll your own wraps. Cost about USD5. Sit outside under a canopy. A local cat seemed attracted by the thought there might be food. There was not for the cat. Other diners, probably not member of the Diners Club, seemed to find it amusing. And for those of you wanting the same, the food is good. The establishment is Tea Souk in Abu Dhabi. When looking for a provider of good food follow the rule that works in the far east. Only eat at a busy place, and if you need to line up to be served that is an even better sign.
What were you doing in Abu Dhabi if I might ask?
11-29-2022, 12:39 PM - 3 Likes   #98850
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Chili only has one L in it, when referring to peppers or the stew.

Chilly has two Ls in it when referring to cold weather.

I had to re-fill my "l" key on my keyboard, it was empty.