Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108806 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2022, 06:19 AM - 2 Likes   #98896
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Hash browns got into breakfast when that Scottish bloke started a restaurant chain with yellow arches (or one arch if you go to the right site in Detroit).
Tut tut, the two brothers were American children of Irish immigrant parents. There’s a clue in the name: McDonald - probably Irish descent, MacDonald - probably Scottish descent, Bruce - might be Aussie.

12-02-2022, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #98897
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So they rewrote the definition of ketchup so it could be allowed on the lunchroom menus.
Ketchup was never actually mentioned.
QuoteQuote:
While ketchup was not specifically mentioned as a potential substitute, critics demonstrated outrage in Congress and in the media against the Ronald Reagan administration for cutting school lunch budgets and allowing ketchup and other condiments to count as vegetables.
The act that reduced funding was signed into law in 1980 by President Carter.
12-02-2022, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #98898
Pentaxian

Well that has made my day. Uruguay are out of the World Cup. Poor old Suarez

12-02-2022, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #98899
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Tut tut, the two brothers were American children of Irish immigrant parents. There’s a clue in the name: McDonald - probably Irish descent, MacDonald - probably Scottish descent, Bruce - might be Aussie.
I know Stifflegged that you're a fine Scotsman...(at least I'm assuming that to be the case ).

The Mc/Mac thing is a myth. Many people of Scottish descent have Mc in front of their names...or Mac...or M'...

In my case I have descended from McGregor, McDougall, McLeod...all immigrants from Scotland and my wife is a McLennan...family origins from north of Loch Ness.

A lot of time whether it was spelt with Mc or Mac or M'...boils down how the minister/priest/immigration officer spelled the name...correctly or incorrectly.

12-02-2022, 12:07 PM - 3 Likes   #98900
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I know Stifflegged that you're a fine Scotsman...(at least I'm assuming that to be the case )
A little flattery goes a long way … but there’s nae doubt aboot the McDonald brothers, ye ken! Nor aboot Ray Kroc (Czech-American) who bought the business from them.

However, a little digression also goes a long way!
12-02-2022, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #98901
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Back in Australia I knew a lady with the name Macdonald and a man with the name Campbell. They were descendants of participants in the famous massacre, and on good terms.

I also met gentlemen with the names Hatfield and McCoy who were coauthors of a scientific paper.
12-02-2022, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #98902
Pentaxian

A little flattery goes a long way … but there’s nae doubt aboot the McDonald brothers, ye ken! Nor aboot Ray Kroc (Czech-American) who bought the business from them.

However, a little digression also goes a long way!
I recall going to Glencoe in 1974. A beautiful place and chock full of MacDonalds and their ilk. At one time, I have heard that there were so many MacDonalds in Glencoe, that they used to have to further differentiate them...by assigning their occupation to the name. For instance there was MacDonald the butcher, MacDonald the postman, MacDonald the policeman...and so on.

12-02-2022, 01:04 PM - 2 Likes   #98903
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Back in Australia I knew a lady with the name Macdonald and a man with the name Campbell. They were descendants of participants in the famous massacre, and on good terms.
!692 or thereabouts, was that massacre. Scotland certainly has quite a history.

I went out with a lady, last name of Campbell, over 50 years ago.

She didn't appreciate me. Not at all.
12-02-2022, 01:09 PM - 2 Likes   #98904
Pentaxian

Fruit.

Specifically a berry.

Delicious, raw, cooked, stewed, alone or alongside many other foods.

Some people even put ketchup on their tomatoes.

Blech!
I like tomatoes. My wife grows 'heritage' tomatoes...that were popular in the 1800's Some of these were very good tasting, a nice sweet taste.

For the second year in a row, she has grown a 'Franken' plant of sorts. Cherry tomatoes on the plant above the ground, and potatoes below the ground..from the same plant. Quite a prolific producer of both tomatoes and potatoes.
12-02-2022, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #98905
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I recall going to Glencoe in 1974. A beautiful place and chock full of MacDonalds and their ilk. At one time, I have heard that there were so many MacDonalds in Glencoe, that they used to have to further differentiate them...by assigning their occupation to the name. For instance there was MacDonald the butcher, MacDonald the postman, MacDonald the policeman...and so on.
Although not from Glencoe, there was also Norm MacDonald.

RIP Norm.
12-02-2022, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #98906
Pentaxian

Although not from Glencoe, there was also Norm MacDonald.

RIP Norm.
I liked him too. I thought he was funny, but also perceptive about the faults and follies of modern life.

His brother in a famous newsman in Canada and when Norm was a young man, the brother set up an interview for Norm (reporter job ) at a large newspaper in Canada. Norm went, the editor asked him a series of questions and the last question, was whether Norm had a driver's license and a car...so that he could drive to where the news was happening.

Norm responded that he had neither, but that he was counting on the truth to be within walking distance.

Last edited by lesmore49; 12-03-2022 at 03:31 PM.
12-04-2022, 02:01 AM - 2 Likes   #98907
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
You lost me at the mention of curry there. I have only had one experience with Indian food and it was not a good one. It kept on giving for a whole day. So I shy away from Indian food and anything with curry on it. I guess it is guilt by association. I know it is not rational, but humans are not always rational creatures.
No curry!?!?!?!?
12-04-2022, 02:41 AM - 1 Like   #98908
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
No curry!?!?!?!?
A friend of ours always orders a Shashlik when we go to an Indian restaurant which doesn't really count as a curry. Except one time she ordered a Biriani having clearly never had one before. When it arrived she looked shocked and said to the waiter, "Oh I can't eat that, it has rice with it" . The restaurant agreed to change it...................to a Shashlik . So embarrassing.

12-04-2022, 07:10 AM   #98909
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I once went to a restaurant in Hahndorf. We had to send the first food delivered back after we opened it and discovered it was not what we ordered. It was a long wait from order to eating. The other table there had the same problem, they got our order.

But once placed on the table and started it cannot be redirected to the person who ordered it.
12-04-2022, 08:53 AM - 2 Likes   #98910
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
No curry!?!?!?!?
I love curry.

Indian curry.

Thai curry.

Mmmmmm……..curry!