Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2022, 08:53 AM   #98911
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
... But once placed on the table and started it cannot be redirected to the person who ordered it.
Well, no!

12-04-2022, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #98912
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Continuing work on Eddie, wrapping up the ball joint replacement, which also includes replacement of the front wheel bearings and brake rotors.

Oh, and I wound up needing to replace the 4 wheel drive auto locking hubs as the right side came out in more pieces than when in. Last evening as I was cleaning up the right hub carrier in preparation for reassembly, I discovered why the auto locking hub mechanism came out broken.

Someone has attempted to straighten the outboard end of the bore after it was damaged. The new manual locking hub assembly won’t go in.

A new hub carrier is no longer available.

Finding one for a 27 year old truck is not going to be easy.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
12-04-2022, 03:10 PM   #98913
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, damn. What a pain. That's not even an easy thing to make! Hopefully you can find a serviceable one at a wreckers.
12-04-2022, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #98914
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I love curry.

Indian curry.

Thai curry.

Mmmmmm……..curry!
Me too!

Whenever we go out for a curry, the waiter will ask: "Would you like that mild, medium or hot?"
I usually reply: "I'd like it medium. But, not Kiwi medium, I'd like it Indian medium."
There is quite a difference.

12-04-2022, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #98915
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Oh, damn. What a pain. That's not even an easy thing to make! Hopefully you can find a serviceable one at a wreckers.
Found a guy on Craigslist selling doors, fenders and hoods for this vintage F series pickups and Broncos. Messaged and asked if he has one, he says come look this afternoon.

I’m growing impatient waiting for his message that he is home.

Meanwhile, some more poor quality iPhone pictures of the hub.

I’ve seen lens barrels this bad, but they are aluminum. This isn’t even close to round anymore.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 

Last edited by Racer X 69; 12-04-2022 at 03:41 PM.
12-04-2022, 03:45 PM - 4 Likes   #98916
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dang. That thing is well bent out of shape. Always remember the saying:

12-04-2022, 04:15 PM - 4 Likes   #98917
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Dang. That thing is well bent out of shape. Always remember the saying:
I started the task of replacing the ball joints two weeks ago, expecting it to take a few days. I knew I would need to replace the wheel bearings, as I could hear them howling a bit. I waited until I had the hubs off so I could be sure of getting the correct races and cages, and correct seals. I didn’t expect to need to replace the auto locking hubs, but when I took this side apart I found the auto locking hub assembly in more pieces than were originally assembled. No worries, the local 4x4 shop got a set of Warn manual locking devices, as well as the required bearing locking nuts and keepers from their warehouse straight away.

I didn’t notice the damage until I was cleaning the hub for assembly last night. The deformed barrel explains why the auto locker was broken

This pickup was the other grandpas truck, then the stepson’s, then the oldest grandson’s, before I got it when I had my last foot surgery (I needed an automatic transmission so I could drive with a cast on my right foot, using my left foot to drive, so I bought it from the grandson). The stepson told me today that he had replaced the auto locker when he had it, as it was broken then. I asked why he didn’t replace the hub, and he said he didn’t notice the damage.

Maybe he was working in the dark.

12-04-2022, 04:20 PM - 3 Likes   #98918
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, and I wound up needing to replace the 4 wheel drive auto locking hubs as the right side came out in more pieces than when in.
I don't know when Dodge/RAM started using the Jeep system, but my 2010 Dodge and my current 2019 don't have hubs that can be disengaged. The front drive shaft is always turning. In theory that causes a drop in fuel efficiency. In practice it creates smooth transition from 2wd to 4wd at any speed and fewer things to go wrong.
I had a 1983 GMC with automatic hubs that worked just fine. You pulled the lever from 2 to 4 and the hubs engaged. It took a bit of extra effort the first time but after that, while the hubs were locked, you could go between 2 and 4 effortlessly. To unlock the hubs you'd put it in 2wd and back up 16 feet. The system worked perfectly but then some engineer had a better idea. My 1988 Chevy had a different system. Put it in 4wd and the hubs engaged, put it back in 2wd and they disengaged. Perfect as long as temperatures were above freezing. In cold weather (the colder the worse it got) It took a considerable force to get it into 4wd. Sometimes, depending on temperature, about all I could muster.Once the lever finally moved it would take somewhere between a half a block and 87 miles (again, depending on temperature) for the thing to actually be in 4wd.
I'll stick with RAM, thanks.
12-04-2022, 11:03 PM   #98919
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sounds like not taking account of different materials thermal expansion being different.
12-05-2022, 12:08 AM - 2 Likes   #98920
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMaybe he was working in the dark.
… while wearing welder’s goggles.
12-05-2022, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #98921
Pentaxian

I started the task of replacing the ball joints two weeks ago, expecting it to take a few days. I knew I would need to replace the wheel bearings, as I could hear them howling a bit. I waited until I had the hubs off so I could be sure of getting the correct races and cages, and correct seals. I didn’t expect to need to replace the auto locking hubs, but when I took this side apart I found the auto locking hub assembly in more pieces than were originally assembled. No worries, the local 4x4 shop got a set of Warn manual locking devices, as well as the required bearing locking nuts and keepers from their warehouse straight away.

I didn’t notice the damage until I was cleaning the hub for assembly last night. The deformed barrel explains why the auto locker was broken

This pickup was the other grandpas truck, then the stepson’s, then the oldest grandson’s, before I got it when I had my last foot surgery (I needed an automatic transmission so I could drive with a cast on my right foot, using my left foot to drive, so I bought it from the grandson). The stepson told me today that he had replaced the auto locker when he had it, as it was broken then. I asked why he didn’t replace the hub, and he said he didn’t notice the damage.

Maybe he was working in the dark.
For some reason, your experience reminds me of when I used to do my own plumbing in my humble abode.
12-05-2022, 05:20 PM   #98922
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I don't know when Dodge/RAM started using the Jeep system, but my 2010 Dodge and my current 2019 don't have hubs that can be disengaged. The front drive shaft is always turning. In theory that causes a drop in fuel efficiency. In practice it creates smooth transition from 2wd to 4wd at any speed and fewer things to go wrong.
I had a 1983 GMC with automatic hubs that worked just fine. You pulled the lever from 2 to 4 and the hubs engaged. It took a bit of extra effort the first time but after that, while the hubs were locked, you could go between 2 and 4 effortlessly. To unlock the hubs you'd put it in 2wd and back up 16 feet. The system worked perfectly but then some engineer had a better idea. My 1988 Chevy had a different system. Put it in 4wd and the hubs engaged, put it back in 2wd and they disengaged. Perfect as long as temperatures were above freezing. In cold weather (the colder the worse it got) It took a considerable force to get it into 4wd. Sometimes, depending on temperature, about all I could muster.Once the lever finally moved it would take somewhere between a half a block and 87 miles (again, depending on temperature) for the thing to actually be in 4wd.
I'll stick with RAM, thanks.
I remember a buddy of mine had a Chevy Blazer from that era.
12-05-2022, 05:25 PM - 2 Likes   #98923
Pentaxian

- 29 will be the low for tonight, - 34 (C.) tomorrow night.

Winter has come for sure, to my town.

Winterpeg.

An aptly named (nick named) city.

I plugged in the engine block heater for the night. My Chevy SUV has a 760 cold cranking amp battery. Should be enough to crank it over in the early morning.
12-05-2022, 05:32 PM - 2 Likes   #98924
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
- 29 will be the low for tonight, - 34 (C.) tomorrow night.

Winter has come for sure, to my town.

Winterpeg.

An aptly named (nick named) city.

I plugged in the engine block heater for the night. My Chevy SUV has a 760 cold cranking amp battery. Should be enough to crank it over in the early morning.
See. We need global warming. -34C is much colder than the inside of our freezer!
12-05-2022, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #98925
Pentaxian

See. We need global warming. -34C is much colder than the inside of our freezer!
We have an older freezer. Every winter we thaw out the excess ice. We leave it till winter, in order to use the garage to store freezer packages in sealed containers, while we thaw out the house freezer.