Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108797 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2022, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #98956
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bspn Quote
I thought the temperature wizardry award went to the vacuum thermos bottle. It keeps hot things hot, cold things cold... but how does it know?
Its magic.

12-06-2022, 07:52 PM - 2 Likes   #98957
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Went to Trayvon’s memorial yesterday, and the funeral today. As he was active duty in the Army, he was given a full military ceremony, a group of soldiers from his unit, the 82nd Airborne from Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and the Chaplin from there.

Also one of the guys he went through jump school came up. They became friends when they met on their first jump. As they were in the C17 riding to the jump zone, the guy told Trey that not only was this his first jump, it was the first time he had ever been in an airplane.

Funny story.

Trey touched many lives, and everyone he met remembers him for his smile, his positive nature, his generous heart. So many of his fellow soldiers asked for leave to attend his funeral, that the senior leadership had difficulty allowing leave. They did schedule a memorial for Trey at Fort Bragg this coming Thursday for the entire group.

I may have mentioned that Trey wasn’t a blood relative, that his biological father contributed nothing more to the boy’s life than the seed that fertilized the egg, when he was hopping from one clandestine liaison to another, and impregnating Trey’s mother when she was stepping out on Mrs. Racer’s son. This loser has countless offspring, some he has never known, none that he has ever contributed more than the genesis of their lives. He has dodged the welfare agencies from a dozen jurisdictions, and somehow has managed to get by, never holding a job.

He never sent Trey a birthday card, or a Christmas gift.

He never saw him but once, when Trey was in his early teens, and Trey traveled to visit him, Trey paying for the plane ticket.

He wasn’t there when the boy was born.

My stepson raised Trey, as his own son, without Trey’s mother, whom he divorced. He was there, giving Trey a chance to have a good life, teaching him to be a good person.

So it was exceptionally difficult today, to see the soldier present the folded flag to Trey’s biological father, while the man who was the only real father Trey knew sat on the side.

We took solace knowing that we had 21 years with Trey in our lives, something that guy will never have.
So sad on so many levels. Kudos to your stepson for stepping up.
12-06-2022, 07:58 PM   #98958
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
My most recent purchase is a twelve pack of Vegemite in 220g jars. Order placed yesterday, at least a couple of weeks for delivery, maybe a month, from the Bezos shop.
2,640 grams of vegemite?

That’s nearly six pounds.

Man, you must really like the stuff.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 12-06-2022 at 08:31 PM.
12-06-2022, 08:41 PM   #98959
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
No, and the weird part is I've never managed to find where it drains to. There are no drain holes at the bottom at all. Wizardry!
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Ours drains to a shallow tray close to the compressor and there it stays. I've never known this to overflow and always presumed the warmth from the compressor evaporates the water faster than it drips from the drain.

Or it may in fact be wizardry...
I think some sort of sorcery is involved.

12-06-2022, 08:43 PM - 2 Likes   #98960
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
What I really need is an endoscope to see what is going on.
Be sure and get a Pentax one.
12-06-2022, 08:47 PM - 2 Likes   #98961
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sad sad day Racer.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2022/12/07/boeing-rolls-off-last-747-jumbo-jet-from-assembly-line/
12-06-2022, 09:00 PM - 2 Likes   #98962
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, it is.

I posted a picture recently of the last one, which I had opportunity to participate in the manufacture of, as it sat in the last position before going out the door. In fact, tonight, that airplane is rolling out the door, to be towed across State Route 526 to the paint hangar and flight line.

End of an era.

And as I return to work tomorrow, I have 13 more working days left, 3 paychecks, 4 weeks, 1 day, 17 hours and change.

12-06-2022, 11:08 PM - 2 Likes   #98963
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
2,640 grams of vegemite?

We like it. It is very long life so you can take advantage of quantity discounts.
12-07-2022, 12:40 AM - 2 Likes   #98964
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've heard of these British 'foodstuffs' like Marmite and what was the other one...Vegemite (?). I've actually seen these British foodstuffs in their packaging, but never gone to the next step and bought some. For some reason I can't bring myself to actually buying it. It is probably very good.

My dad used to buy and absolutely love Worcestershire Sauce, also House(s) of Parliament Sauce. He would put this stuff on anything and everything. I tried it, but never was able to develop a taste for it.
GASP!! Vegemite is as British as Tim Tams or peanut butter: it’s some Colonial invention and not to be mentioned with Marmite!

Worcestershire Sauce was originally marketed as a hair restorer but didn’t work (ask me how I know…) but very successfully sold as a sauce instead. We use it a lot in stews and casseroles and my wife’s best spag bol features a dollop.

Both Marmite and Worcestershire sauce are afaik the results of fermentation, but here the connection with igunaq, hakarl, kiviak, surstromming etc ends!

HP sauce … well, I remember my father using it but don’t think we’ve ever had it in our home.
12-07-2022, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #98965
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

… So it was exceptionally difficult today, to see the soldier present the folded flag to Trey’s biological father, while the man who was the only real father Trey knew sat on the side.

We took solace knowing that we had 21 years with Trey in our lives, something that guy will never have.
That’s really hard to read, my condolences to you all.
12-07-2022, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #98966
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
We like it. It is very long life so you can take advantage of quantity discounts.
That’s fair enuff, but we pay the same as you per jar, buying one at a time from Tesco. Just a suggestion.
12-07-2022, 01:12 AM - 2 Likes   #98967
dbs
Pentaxian

2,640 grams of vegemite?

Yep

That's about a years worth for me. ............................ yummmmmm
12-07-2022, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #98968
Pentaxian

GASP!! Vegemite is as British as Tim Tams or peanut butter: it’s some Colonial invention and not to be mentioned with Marmite!

Worcestershire Sauce was originally marketed as a hair restorer but didn’t work (ask me how I know…) but very successfully sold as a sauce instead. We use it a lot in stews and casseroles and my wife’s best spag bol features a dollop.

Both Marmite and Worcestershire sauce are afaik the results of fermentation, but here the connection with igunaq, hakarl, kiviak, surstromming etc ends!

HP sauce … well, I remember my father using it but don’t think we’ve ever had it in our home.
Vegemite is most definitely Australian!

It is a yeast extract, and I think is a by product of brewing.

The taste is wonderful.
12-07-2022, 01:19 AM   #98969
Pentaxian

That’s fair enuff, but we pay the same as you per jar, buying one at a time from Tesco. Just a suggestion.
Thanks. I will check Tesco near the mini factory, which is quite big, when I go that way next. But I have another trip to Middle East before I will get that chance.
12-07-2022, 01:59 AM   #98970
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ours drains to a shallow tray close to the compressor and there it stays. I've never known this to overflow and always presumed the warmth from the compressor evaporates the water faster than it drips from the drain.

Or it may in fact be wizardry...
Indeed. Most other fridges we've had over the years have had a tray over the compressor where the warmth of the compressor evaporated the water away. On this fridge, while I've had the rear cover off (for an unrelated icemaker water supply issue) I've not seen that arrangement. I know the fridge has a system of internal air circulation fans, and it has a reservoir to pre-cool the icemaker water supply, using the fridge "cold", I've been unable to find any drains from the fridge or freezer cavities. Weird.