Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
I really never fully understood the need for a Dual slot as cards have gotten seriously big in storage.
Security. Second card is set as a mirror usually. Some save RAWs on one and JPG-s on another, but I think back up is the reason for the most of pros.

Last edited by jaad75; 10-11-2013 at 06:35 PM.
10-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
  1. Dual mirrored storage, like a RAID drive, in case one card fails during, say, a wedding
  2. 1 card for RAW, one card for jpeg when shooting RAW+
  3. 1 card for stills, one card for video (with card switching button on lower right back)
  4. 1 card for Wi-Fi or tethering (Pentax FLuCard), one card for standard card reader transfer
  5. Etc.
# 1 makes sense.

Actually now that I thought about, I have from time to time ran out of the house with my camera and no card in it, So I guess having 2 slots would cut down on that by 50%.....
10-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is still a chance of failure if both card slots share the same controller (if controller fails then both slots will not work). I sure hope it is not the case....
10-11-2013, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually now that I thought about, I have from time to time ran out of the house with my camera and no card in it, So I guess having 2 slots would cut down on that by 50%.....
I still have heartache about a missed sunrise once - ALL my cards were in a card wallet on my desk

10-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #20
Veteran Member

On the dual card issue, I guess another advantage may be performance: if you are shooting RAW+, for example, and saving RAWs to card1 and JPGs to card2, having two cards to write to may provide a speed advantage over queuing up two files to be written to a single card.

My personal usage of two cards would be simply to enable quicker swaps between cards. I normally shoot RAW or RAW+ into a single 8GB card (for safety's sake, I keep card sizes small), so on the K-3 I'd probably just set card1 as the primary and card2 as the overflow. At the moment, with the K-5 it's a drag to have to stop shooting sometimes while I swap out the old card and dig around in the dark for a new SD card.
10-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

# 1 makes sense.

I would just end up leaving the house with twice as many empty card slots in the camera.

I now keep a backup 2GB card hidden in my backpack at all times for those forgetful moments. I've had to use it a few times, and shamed myself enough that I even remembered to put it back in the bag after taking the pictures off of it.
10-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I would just end up leaving the house with twice as many empty card slots in the camera.

I now keep a backup 2GB card hidden in my backpack at all times for those forgetful moments. I've had to use it a few times, and shamed myself enough that I even remembered to put it back in the bag after taking the pictures off of it.
I keep one permanently in the small coin pocket of my jeans........

10-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I had a thought regarding the nomeclature and the 'upgrade' from K-30 to K50, and that is all the K-5/50/50 all have the same sensor, and there may be a new line of cameras (in time) from the "3 series" that feature the 24MP sensor. I'm probably wrong but just a thought.
10-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
I had a thought regarding the nomeclature and the 'upgrade' from K-30 to K50, and that is all the K-5/50/50 all have the same sensor, and there may be a new line of cameras (in time) from the "3 series" that feature the 24MP sensor. I'm probably wrong but just a thought.
My head hurts...
10-12-2013, 02:29 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
There is still a chance of failure if both card slots share the same controller (if controller fails then both slots will not work). I sure hope it is not the case....
Yes, that would stop more shots. A back-up camera might be needed.

But it wouldn't lose shots already taken. That is the wedding photographer's nightmare.
10-12-2013, 02:32 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote

I don't close the card-slot door if there is no card in the camera.
10-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
K-5 and K-5II only let you adjust in a range of 5 steps.
No, it's ±10 as well.
10-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
No, it's ±10 as well.
Ooops. You are right. I should have looked at my camera.
Dumb post deleted.
10-12-2013, 03:10 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why?

Are Pro's running out of storage?

Would you not carry a bunch of cards with you if you were a pro and pay attention to your storage needs as you shoot? Same as batteries.

I get the FluCard, But otherwise I really never fully understood the need for a Dual slot as cards have gotten seriously big in storage.

Obviously I am a bit in the dark here.
As others have said, SD Cards do fail. My wife shoots weddings and she uses smaller cards and changes them frequently just in case, but you don't want that "perfect moment" photograph lost because of a card failure. Having two cards and a second shooter all decreases the chance of such a loss.
10-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As others have said, SD Cards do fail. My wife shoots weddings and she uses smaller cards and changes them frequently just in case, but you don't want that "perfect moment" photograph lost because of a card failure. Having two cards and a second shooter all decreases the chance of such a loss.
I get.

I carry three 16g cards and switch out too.

But im pretty sure I would do the same even with a dual slot, just out of habit.