Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K3 viewfinder / focusing screen(s)

So the viewfinder is bigger? Does that imply the focusing screen is a different size than K-5, or it is just magnified more or what?

What I'm wondering is whether I'll be able to pop in the custom "S"-type screen I've got in my K-5 into the K-3 or will I need something different? (I should probably just order another one.) Or is there any word on Pentax actually coming out with some more useful screens of their own?

How about the eyepiece? It has a new diopter but will eyepiece magnifiers that fit previous models still fit this?

10-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
So the viewfinder is bigger? Does that imply the focusing screen is a different size than K-5, or it is just magnified more or what?

What I'm wondering is whether I'll be able to pop in the custom "S"-type screen I've got in my K-5 into the K-3
Yes, the same focus screens are still listed as compatible.

QuoteQuote:
How about the eyepiece? It has a new diopter but will eyepiece magnifiers that fit previous models still fit this?
The O-ME53 Magnifier is still compatible, so I would think you should be fine.
10-12-2013, 04:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

They are listed, but how can all of those things be compatible when the K-3 is supposed to have a bigger viewfinder and different diopter? That is what I think the OP is asking about, and would like some confirmation by someone testing it out, because clearly the specs might not be 100% reliable or the the compatibility may be limited.
10-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
They are listed, but how can all of those things be compatible when the K-3 is supposed to have a bigger viewfinder and different diopter? That is what I think the OP is asking about, and would like some confirmation by someone testing it out, because clearly the specs might not be 100% reliable or the the compatibility may be limited.
Possibly the new prism design was made with the existing focusing screen and viewfinder frame in mind. Possibly the focusing screens had originally been designed with a 100% viewfinder in mind. Possibly they designed a new collector lens in the viewfinder eyepiece.

IIRC Ricoh itself stated the O-ME53 and focusing screens remain compatible but it maight have been in the imaging-resource review.

10-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IIRC Ricoh itself stated the O-ME53 and focusing screens remain compatible but it maight have been in the imaging-resource review.
Listed amongst the K3 Accessories on the Pentax-Ricoh.jp

I knew I'd seen the Flucard image somewhere. They seem to have forgotten the mains power adapter... but that would ruin the grid.