Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Currently I have the K-r and this spring my wife bought a K5 on clearance to replace the K20D she had dropped. The K3 is a big upgrade from either one of these models from what I have read. I will more than likely wait until next spring though as no need for it at present time.

It would be handy for both of us to have similar cameras, at least for my wife as she has some difficulties remembering where the controls are on the K-r. If I get the K3 is it unlikely either of us would buy another dslr for a long period of time. No need for FF as have the 35mm MF and LF cameras too. Plan to keep the K-r for a carry aroung camera as it has only around 25K shots on it so far.

10-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
1) It's from Sony, so that's an automatic fail
2) It's full frame which means all my lenses will look funny. My F 50mm f/1.7 will look like a 33mm, my A 400mm will only look like 266mm, my 16-50 won't even work properly.
3) Based on your previous posts I assume you are being paid by Sony to troll other camera forums and push the Sony brand? Hope they are paying you a lot.
Funny, I have been thinking about this same thing. For now I have been used for my APS-C lengths for my lenses. i like 20/21 mm. For my wide. I like 28 mm and 55. For what they are right now. As I have been thinkig of what I would need to buy (prime lenses) to get this for FF it has been putting me off from that... So even that FF would actually appear, I'm not so sure if I would be so thrilled about that.. Weird?
10-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
So even that FF would actually appear, I'm not so sure if I would be so thrilled about that.. Weird?
Yes, all the FF advocates assume we want our lenses to look like they did on a film camera. But honestly I've been using APS-C so long things would look weird on FF. I have not used a film camera in a long time and I don't really remember what that looked like.

To each his own, I've no problem if you want to use FF, just pointing out that for some the APS-C perspective is the normal one and a FF perspective would be weird.
10-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Justification never stood in my way before, but it would be nice to have some parameters to at least make you think you made a reasonable purchase. These are legitimate requests for my personal needs, but maybe not for others. In the end, there are many factors that determine any purchase.....common sense often being the least of these.

I have a perfectly fine X10 that I love, but bought a new X20 when it came out based mostly on it being Silver/Black, although it did have enough new features to "justify" the purchase. Did my shooting improve? Not really, but I "justified" the purchase. We all do it......one way or another!
Best Regards!
Well if you just want it and you have the mad money to get it.. then why not? But I was trying to SAVE you money!

I realize many people seem to shy away from considering large MP over IQ but that isn't really me... The fact that we have 50% more pixels in the K-3 from the K-5 means we have 50% more crop space (unless my math is off) -- that is a big bonus. That and the (seemingly) drastic AF upgrades are pretty much good enough I think to warrant a buy.

The shutter life being estimated at 200k clicks also means you can keep it for quite a long time I think. Unless you take a lot of timelapse..

10-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Maybe this is the wrong place to post this, if so, someone will move it, no doubt.

I'm thinking of the K3, and although not committed yet, I have been trying to justify a purchase, although heaven knows, good justification never stood in my way on buying a camera or camera gear!

We won't have answers for a while yet, but here are my requirements that the K3 might just fulfill. It's a short list, since I am assuming it will be at least as excellent as my K5 (original) which has been a delight for me!

*AF- For once would love to have a Pentax that would focus as fast and as accurate as the Nikon cameras I have sampled over the past few years. Every time I pick up a Nikon, it is the first thing I notice. For once I would love to feel like I was shooting with a Nikon without having to leave my Pentax brand I love.

* WB- Although the K5 is no slouch in this area, better WB promised by the K3 could make a big difference in some situations. This could make a difference I could truly appreciate.

*Exposure- The promise of better exposure is always welcome in any camera. Again, the K5 is not bad by any means, but a marked improvement could sway me pretty fast.

With all the other features of the K3 I see, it looks like the perfect camera. Almost every base has been covered and every option necessary included. It is these three areas that will make me pull the trigger...or not.

I'd be interested in what will make you pull the trigger on the K3?

Best Regards!
Wrong forum, but that's ok. Moved

When the K-5 IIs came out, people said "eeh, it's a tiny upgrade, probably not going to buy it". Then black friday came and everyone bought it!

With people no saying "hey, the k-3 looks awesome, I'll think about it", I think it's only a matter of time before everyone with a K-5 gets a K-3

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

To each his own, I've no problem if you want to use FF, just pointing out that for some the APS-C perspective is the normal one and a FF perspective would be weird.
Shallow DoF is really nice at wide lenses too. But how many times would you use that for really. I like my lenses as they are now, this is how I have learned to see them.
10-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #22
mee
Veteran Member

APS-C is super for Macro and telescopic shooting! It really comes down to what you want to shoot with your camera.

Saying everyone wants a FF camera is similar to saying everyone wants a particular style of vehicle. The truck is good for hauling loads, the sedan is good for hauling people, the sports car is good for hauling butt.

Not everyone wants to haul the same stuff at any given time.

10-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Well if you just want it and you have the mad money to get it.. then why not? But I was trying to SAVE you money!

I realize many people seem to shy away from considering large MP over IQ but that isn't really me... The fact that we have 50% more pixels in the K-3 from the K-5 means we have 50% more crop space (unless my math is off) -- that is a big bonus. That and the (seemingly) drastic AF upgrades are pretty much good enough I think to warrant a buy.

The shutter life being estimated at 200k clicks also means you can keep it for quite a long time I think. Unless you take a lot of timelapse..
You can allways repair the shutter
10-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For me, if my Christmas bonus is big enough for the Sigma 18-35 and the K-3, then I'm in there!
10-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I've seen so many shots from my friend's Canon 5DMkIII using hyper expensive lenses, thinking nice but so what they're hardly any better than my K-30 churns out, that I'll carry on with my K-30 and a few decent lenses until the K-3 is a bargain and snap one up. In fact, I'll laugh my t*** off if the K-3 matches FF for IQ.

Last edited by SteveB; 10-12-2013 at 01:57 PM.
10-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What will make you buy the K3?
If I find it really is full frame.

Last edited by civiletti; 10-12-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: sp
10-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

If the AF is really what's claimed.

If it's not at least close, 7 years of waiting for Pentax to catch up will come to an end.
10-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #28
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What made me buy the K3

Well managed to hold and play with a preproduction copy, it was just fast in operation, plus the upgraded AF & Metering.

Fundamentally what made me go for the K3 was probably how good the K5 was in the first place, and just how its Metering (inc Flash) & AF would occasionally let the little engine that could down.

The new sensor is nice, but TBH I could have gone for a K5 s(tills) ie a K3 innards, that, without video, may have fitted in the original K5 body.

Not that I've anything against the K3 body, it felt very familiar, but after 3 years of some hard knocks I've truly come to trust the K5 to take all I throw at it (or take out what I throw it at for that matter).
10-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have 4 more years of HS sports ahead of me, with some really poor lighting, so...
If the high ISO IQ is comparable to a K5, then all the other features and improvements are a cats meow and what the doctor ordered and will make me spend my dough.
Cheers.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-12-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Trying to do something about my grammar.
10-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #30
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Waiting for the shutter mechanism to die on your existing camera may be an exercise in futility for most - few of us even reach 100,000 actuations on the camera we want to replace before we decide to do so. I'm personally happy with the K-5 IIs and have found an application where I needed more than 16Mp or struggled disappointingly to focus in bad lighting conditions with it. So I'll be keeping the K-3 LBA at bay, for now.

The thought of replacing the K-5 IIs with K-3 as soon as I can to maximise resale value of the K-5 IIs is not enough for me, even if totally logical. But as for most hobbies, there is little need for justification to purchase a new toy, err.... tool. For the pros, the K-3 sounds like a great investment, and may even be impressive in the sports arena, where no other Pentax has ventured before...