Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-3 HDR video mode

The K-3 video menu has an option for "HDR Capture" which has not been mentioned anywhere. What does it do?

see here:

Pentax K3 - YouTube

10-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I read that it has a function to basically take interval photos and put them into a 4k video file. Not sure, though. Lots of interesting things were listed in the K-3 spec sheet, but we need to wait for more reviewers to get hands on it to know how exactly things work.
10-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
The K-3 video menu has an option for "HDR Capture" which has not been mentioned anywhere. What does it do?
Good catch and we don't know.

I notice the option was grayed out though.

Maybe an option for 720p@30Hz, where 2 images are shot per frame and hdr-conbined? Would be easy to do, technically, as 720p@60Hz shooting is available and 720p doesn't use many pixels. I don't think it has anything to do with 4k video as the interval function is not video related.
10-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

In this video in the second half where he was recording some video, how was he focusing?

10-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is what I was thinking too, or that perhaps it is something simpler such as just a shadow boost in processing. However since such a feature has not received any coverage in the marketing material released by Pentax, nor by any reviewers, I think it may be an "alpha" feature which might not make it into the final firmware version.

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

Maybe an option for 720p@30Hz, where 2 images are shot per frame and hdr-conbined? Would be easy to do, technically, as 720p@60Hz shooting is available and 720p doesn't use many pixels. I don't think it has anything to do with 4k video as the interval function is not video related.
10-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Banned

only available in interval (timelapse) movie mode 2 sec minimum per frame

10-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #7

Probably some kind of pseudo-HDR using an algorithm that compresses and processes RAW video. Could be interesting or could be kitschy.

10-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
Probably some kind of pseudo-HDR using an algorithm that compresses and processes RAW video. Could be interesting or could be kitschy.
No.
Jogiba already provided the answer, in the post just about yours.
It is still photo HDR, carried over to timelapse video. Because most would assemble a time lapse video from stills in post processing, this is an irrelevant feature.
10-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No.
It is still photo HDR, carried over to timelapse video. Because most would assemble a time lapse video from stills in post processing, this is an irrelevant feature.
I'm actually curious about how good the built-in time lapse modes are. I currently assemble from stills and can see the workflow benefits of doing it in-camera.
10-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

No.
Its not that irrelevant.

If you don't want to be bothered having to do the work involved, or have a low end PC that would choke on processing a huge batch of stills, that feature could be quite useful.

If I'd had the option with the K-30 for this, I would have done it in HDR simply because it would probably have turned out a lot better than it did.

10-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, well looks like it is just for interval shooting, thats a real shame.

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
11-18-2018, 11:51 PM   #12

I am trying to turn that on, but regardless what I do - when I hit ‘ok’ it’s back to ‘off’
What am I missing?
12-06-2018, 09:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andre Quote
I am trying to turn that on, but regardless what I do - when I hit ‘ok’ it’s back to ‘off’
What am I missing?
1st activate movie mode so live view is on > Press drive mode button on 4 way controller > Select interval movie > Choose your interval options.