Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Where is Photography Positioned...

in relation to your other hobbies? I want the K-3 and will probably get two and then a K-1(or two)if it debut's. I almost shelved the notion by being tempted with this:

PRS Guitars | Paul’s Guitar

$3800+ before tax.

10-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Forum Member

Wow. Nice guitar! Thats was a tough decision!
10-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PRS makes a great guitar, I used to sell them. I'm really a brass player though, I play semi-professionally. I paid $3500 for my trombone which was custom made for me, and considering it's the best horn I've ever played, I think I got a bargain. Beyond that, there's not a lot of gear for me to buy. Music in comparison to photography is a relatively cheap hobby, and easier to see a return on investment from what I can tell.
10-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Fortunately I bought my PRS long ago (1995), long before I got a dSLR.

Hardly play it nowadays, though. Maybe it should go to a better home.

10-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For me, photography ranks behind cooking and playing with cars. But it's a great complement to both. All three compete for the spare $, though.
10-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

To me, photo is part of my other hobbies.

My hobbies are:
Fishing

Aircraft models
10-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My real hobby is guiding youth leadership development in the outdoors - evolved now to teaching younger adults how to implement our program.

A camera and lenses is one of many tools in my arsenal, but the investment in camera gear is perhaps 10% or 15% of my total hobby investment.

10-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photography is my only hobby at the moment. Currently I can't afford to have another hobby that doesnt bring in money as well... kinda sad but I hope I will in the future.

I used to collect japanese toy figures but haven't bought any in a long time now that I have a minister of finance

This topic probably needs to be moved
10-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
I'd say photography is in my top 3 hobbies, the other two being music-->guitar and the other being gaming-->COD franchise. Hmmm, I hadn't thought about but for what I paid for my DA 70 Ltd. I could have bought a PS4! Meh, I made the right decision. On the plus side, I've resisted the urge to buy any new guitar stuff. For me, there is an ebb and flow to each hobby, though I haven't figured out the pattern. Prior to my Disney vacation, and the upgrade from the K200D to the K-5ii, I hadn't touched the camera in months, and prolly hadn't visited this forum in a stretch. But since upgrading, I have acquired and sold several lens and acquired new lenses and explored new photographic techniques but I haven't touched my guitar in that time.
10-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Guitar was the first with Chess, Photography, Table Tennis, Cycling and High-End Audio following. The only thing I can't do now is cycling because of the knees. I need to finish the music-only dedicated room so listening is on hiatus.

Last edited by tabl10s; 10-15-2013 at 01:02 AM.
10-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'd say photography is both a result and impetus for other interests. We got a rather vigorous dog almost 8 years ago, and started carrying a camera on our many walks. She has learned to patiently wait for me to get a shot, and if I'm watching a bird or something she looks and admires it as well. Now I'm interested in what I shoot; I watched the local osprey quite a bit this past summer, learning and watching, and yes, getting some great shots. There are other species I would like to get to know better as well, and am figuring out how to do it. And I will take shots, hopefully very nice ones as I go.
10-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #12

Apart from finincial aspect, photography is somewhere in between piano play, drawing and running. All my hobbies complement each other very well. Running doesn´t require almost any investment. As long as I have a digital piano photography will always occupy the first place though in terms of $$ or in my case €€
10-15-2013, 03:45 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm another one who has guitars as one of my main hobbies, although photography is probably my primary passion. All this stuff is kind of relative, I suppose. I recently went to a get-together of people from a guitar message board. Everyone brought one of their guitars for a "show & tell" session. My main acoustic guitar is a Martin J-40. These days they're selling new for around $3500 although I didn't pay anywhere near that amount because I bought mine 20 years ago. Everyone else in the group had custom made guitars that were in the $5000-$12,000 range. When it came my turn, I told a bit about my guitar and then said, "You know...most of my real world friends consider this an insanely expensive acoustic guitar. But among this crowd...not so much."
10-15-2013, 04:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still have a few guitars left: Gibson SB Bass; Epiphone EB; Ovation Magnum Bass; Warwick Bass (in need of repair) and a Fender Stratocaster (MIJ). I've sold off a few recently: a black USA Fender Jaguar (lovely) to my brother, and a Fender Precision Bass and a Bass VI on fleaBay. Other hobbies include military modelling, gardening and writing, though these have waned somewhat of late. Until recently, I compiled the crossword for a national free newspaper. Photography is my current passion, and I'm busy amassing lenses at a rate that frightens my bank manager.
10-15-2013, 05:05 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
in relation to your other hobbies? I want the K-3 and will probably get two and then a K-1(or two)if it debut's. I almost shelved the notion by being tempted with this:

PRS Guitars | Paul’s Guitar

$3800+ before tax.
Gone well beyond into a second career that augments other work I do.

Also, "debuts" has no apostrophe.