Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2013, 03:18 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by novsky Quote
Hi Awaldram, so u've got some ? No latency in HSS ? Do u think it will be possible to link 4 Flashes (into a big softbox) with an optical cable ?

Now that we know that K3 can't control HSS with internal flash (cf manual), i will lost 1HSS flash to control the 4
Latency is not an issue, also the same modules work for Canon,Nikon,Sony,Olympus or Pentax a truly multli manufacturer product.
Not sure of your question but I 'll try and answer what I think it is.

The modules only replicate functionality already present in the local solution.

i.e you need an HSS capable flash on the body for the TX to Transmit HSS data to the RX
So for your 4 (hss) flashes into soft box you need.
1 5x HSS capable flashes
2 1 X P-ttl TX
3 2 X P-ttl RX
4 2 X additional IR cables ($10 inc splitter)

Other functionality mentioned in these threads and how to achieve using P-ttl

1 Contrast control - on camera wireless can do 1/3 -2/3 ratio to external
2 ratio control - set individual ratios on each flash
3 group control - set two flashes to same setting other to different
4 man and p-ttl mixed (wireless) - set manual to requirement P-ttl will compensate to compensation levels you've set. (this will work off studio strobes)

Remote setting from camera - that for lazy niikonites climb that ladder and do it on the flash

Last edited by awaldram; 10-24-2013 at 03:29 AM.
10-24-2013, 03:29 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Hi Jaad, into the manual its "clearly" specified...
Not so clearly - the pop-up doesn't have to support the HSS itself to be a controller for HHS remotes. It's just a matter of sending a sync signal slightly sooner than in normal sync mode.
10-24-2013, 03:34 AM   #33
Forum Member

Thx Awaldram for your answer ;-)

Do u think i can use only 1 P-ttl RX into the softbox ? Can i link 2 "additional IR cables" with a "jack splitter" before and after go to the 4 flashguns ?? Its not a question of money but it will be more practical for me ^_^
10-24-2013, 03:34 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Not so clearly - the pop-up doesn't have to support the HSS itself to be a controller for HHS remotes. It's just a matter of sending a sync signal slightly sooner than in normal sync mode.
?

I'm 100% confident HSS does not work like that.
Hss has to tell the external flashes shutter speed and a myriad of other protocol data on top of pre flash exposure data, I suspect the issue is the on-board flash has too small a reservoir (capacitor) to deliver the control stream consistently , I suspect if testing the istD you'd find it couldn't hit the spec for HSS and that's why it was subsequently dropped.

10-24-2013, 03:37 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Thx Awaldram for your answer ;-)

Do u think i can use only 1 P-ttl RX into the softbox ? Can i link 2 "additional IR cables" with a "jack splitter" before and after go to the 4 flashguns ?? Its not a question of money but it will be more practical for me ^_^
I was able to fire 3 Pentax flashes off 1 RX, But Metz flashes became unreliable firing at 3.

Both Pentax and Metz woudl not fire consistently 4 flashes off one RX

I wouldn't use 3 or more in anything but a test environment.
10-24-2013, 03:38 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Latency is not an issue, also the same modules work for Canon,Nikon,Sony,Olympus or Pentax a truly multli manufacturer product.
The strange thing is they work exactly the same way as the RadioPoppers which officially don't support the P-TTL because of timing issues.
10-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #37
Veteran Member

The strange thing is they work exactly the same way as the RadioPoppers which officially don't support the P-TTL because of timing issues.
Yeah could never understand that myself.
Always wondered if it was 'untested' rather than won't but given the cost wasn't willing to try.

Or maybe being newer tech they've reduced the latency ?

10-24-2013, 03:47 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Hss has to tell the external flashes shutter speed and a myriad of other protocol data on top of pre flash exposure data, I suspect the issue is the on-board flash has too small a reservoir (capacitor) to deliver the control stream consistently
The controller has to tell the external flash exactly the same amount of things in both modes, the difference is in power calculation and sync signal timing. Plus the body needs to know before that it's working with a HSS capable external flash in a HSS mode and that's where the problem currently is, I suppose.
10-24-2013, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

The controller has to tell the external flash exactly the same amount of things in both modes, the difference is in power calculation and sync signal timing. Plus the body needs to know before that it's working with a HSS capable external flash in a HSS mode and that's where the problem currently is, I suppose.
As I mentioned further above that is quite easily solvable (by Pentax R&D that is). If the flash is kept in HSS-PTTL mode (from the settings on its panel) than it can behave as HSS/non-HSS P-TTL/Manual exposure based simply on what the camera sends to it. It all exists already in the communication protocol, both wired and wireless. It just needs to be added to the menus. No changes needed deep down in the firmware of the camera and no changes at all in the flash. It is just at the level of the user interface that changes need to be made - the rest is all already there, even in earlier models such as the K-r.

The manual would of course need to tell you to leave the flash always in HSS P-TTL mode as the camera would have no way of knowing if the flash is not. But that is nothing new as the camera doesn't even know whether there is a wireless flash at all, let alone what mode it is set to, and you need to set it to remote anyway.
02-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #40

Has anyone tried to use YN 622N - TX just as a flash power controller ?
02-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phansu Quote
Has anyone tried to use YN 622N - TX just as a flash power controller ?
it an i-TTL controler for Nikon cameras it does not have flash power control fro any flash

it will trigger Pnetax flashes
B: Other Flashes: (Not support TTL function or HSS) ---Canon 580EX, 550EX, 540EZ, 430EX, 430EZ, 420EX, 420EZ, 380EX ---Yongnuo YN-560III, YN-560II, YN-560EX, YN-560, YN-460II, YN-460 ---Pentax AF-540 FGZ, AF-360 FGZ, AF-400 FT, AF-240 FT ---Sigma EF-500 DG Super, EF-500 DG ST, EF-430 ---Other brand flashes not for Nikon: Metz, Sunpak, Oloong, Triop
02-28-2014, 05:41 AM   #42
Forum Member

There is no TX/RX transmitter that perform Pentax TTL !! The only solution for HSS yet is to use Aokatec optical transmitter...
02-28-2014, 06:08 AM   #43
Pentaxian

The only solution for HSS yet is to use Aokatec optical transmitter...
Not quite anymore.

With a Cactus RF60 you can now use HSS with many external flashes as long as you have one HSS-capable on-camera flash (that is needed to instruct the camera to still generate a trigger signal even beyond 1/180 and as an initial trigger source).

Please see my Cactus RF60 review for the details.

Last edited by Class A; 03-01-2014 at 08:21 PM.
03-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #44
Forum Member

Ok Class A but if i well understand, the RF60 is HSS optically as metz&pentax gear, not "optical to radio to optical" as the Aokatec, if i put a Metz into a soft box far away, he will never receive the RF60 signal. no ? Unless the new Cactus V6 transmit radio power signal hover 1/180 ?
Pleaaaase, tell me that i'm wrong ;-)

[Edit the link to the review is wrong, here is]
https://www.pentaxforums.com/news/cactus-rf60-review.html
03-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Ok Class A but if i well understand, the RF60 is HSS optically as metz&pentax gear, not "optical to radio to optical" as the Aokatec, if i put a Metz into a soft box far away, he will never receive the RF60 signal. no ?
The RF60 would not be able to issue a signal at all once the shutter speed exceeds the sync speed.

The only way to make this work is to use the Metz on-camera in P-TTL HSS mode so that
a) the camera will trigger a flash even when the shutter speed exceeds the sync speed, and
b) the on-camera HSS-capable flash (the Metz in your case) issues an optical signal.

The latter signal can be picked up by a nearby RF60 (or V6) and can then -- via radio signal -- be relayed to RF60s (or V6s) anywhere.

You could also let an RF60 pick up the optical signal directly, but as you say, if it is in a softbox, chances are it will not see the optical signal.

P.S.: Thanks for pointing out the issue with my link. I have no corrected it to point to the discussion thread for the review which also links to the review as such.