Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-22-2013, 08:09 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reasons for buying a K-3

1. You're happy with your k-5

Honestly, don't like your K-5? Find something that makes you happy and quit your bitching.

2. You shoot wildlife, macro's, sports or moving objects.

The 24 MP of a K-5 will give you more cropping room, or give you approx 25%-60% more resolution with a given lens. For macro it will give you more lines per subject height than any larger sensor camera, using the same lens. You don't get that without some compromises compared to larger sensors, but ultimately, for cropped images, APS-c is probably the best comprimise between IQ and subject resolution. Smaller sensors start to get a little fuzzy (if looking at Q images counts for anything.) larger sensor don't give you the same resolution within the crop area. Plus there's the "Every lens you own, just got better." effect.

3. You were ready for an upgrade.
I didn't go for the K5II, so I'm missing out on -3 EV focussing etc. I don't want to go to 36 MP, too much file size, 24 MP seems overkill for what I do.The choice for me, between 24 MP and 36 MP is overkill and ridiculous overkill. 24 MP gives me confidence I'm alway going to have a bit more than I need, the built in safety factor. I've jumped one model, seen how much people enjoy their K5IIs and am ready to get in on the fun.

4. Some things may be improved.

The AF system is all new. More focus points, cross hair focus points, 2.8 focus points...for me, there's a chance the new more sensitive focus points will allow my A-400 to focus with the 1.7 converter on it. There are a pile of good possibilites that while not confirmed, could turn out to be improvements.

5. Because it's there.
And you can't buy what's not there. Buying the "latest" means a longer wait in your upgrade path before you have to buy the "next greatest thing." I'm ready for a rest in the acquisition phase, for another couple years. I'm looking forward to shooting..knowing I can produce IQ, I'll probably never need, but that if I ever do need it, it will be there.

But really, if you didn't get by #1, you shouldn't even be thinking about a K-3. It's a camera for people who like Pentax cameras.. people who don't like their K-5, probably won't like a K-3. It's not going to be that much different. I'm not expecting it to be, and that's what's going to make me happy. If I wanted different, I'd be looking for something else. I want the same, only a bit better.

10-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
6. Because it's not FF and that pisses a small number of PentaxForums users off.
10-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If I wanted different, I'd be looking for something else. I want the same, only a bit better.
I think that sums it up!

My plan was to retire my wife's k-x give her my k-5 and get the k-3 when it came out. That's been the plan for about a year. But the k-5 died just before our Yellowstone trip so I acquired a k-5IIs for the trip. Wish the k-5 had waited another 2 months but oh well. Now the k-5 is back from the shop and we have k-x, k-5, k-5IIs and a k-3 on pre-order. I think we have a few too many bodies.......
10-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think that sums it up!

My plan was to retire my wife's k-x give her my k-5 and get the k-3 when it came out. That's been the plan for about a year. But the k-5 died just before our Yellowstone trip so I acquired a k-5IIs for the trip. Wish the k-5 had waited another 2 months but oh well. Now the k-5 is back from the shop and we have k-x, k-5, k-5IIs and a k-3 on pre-order. I think we have a few too many bodies.......
I just give my old bodies away and throw in a Tammy 17-50 f/2.8 to get friends started in photography.

Won't give my good glass away though.

I'm going to pick up a K-3 but this time keep the K-5IIs for my M42 mount lenses.

10-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
My K7 still works perfectly, I'm buying the K3 simply because I want it.
10-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
Col
Veteran Member

I think that sums it up!

Why? Was it your plan to give your wife a dead camera!

Personally, my K5 is working as specified... so I can't say I need the K3...I just want that K3
10-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

For me it is the ergonomics. I love my K-30 and think the quality of the output is superb and I'm more than happy with that. But I am now using the AF button for focus instead of half press and I lose exposure lock ability (same button on K-30). Plus a number of other features that are selected via buttons that are menu items on K-30. I don't see the K-5 as an upgrade from the K-30. But the K-3 certainly is.

Plus I want to start doing some more weddings and will require a 2nd body. Also menu button on my K-30 is a bit dodgy. Fine in use but is real touchy when in the menu's.

10-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's a camera for people who like Pentax cameras.. people who don't like their K-5, probably won't like a K-3. It's not going to be that much different. I'm not expecting it to be, and that's what's going to make me happy. If I wanted different, I'd be looking for something else. I want the same, only a bit better.
Well said. The K-3 looks like an across-the-board improvement of the K-5 series, while retaining all the positives (too many to list, but size, ergonomics, and the K-mount top it).

I think we have a few too many bodies.......
I know some fellas in Chicagah dat can make doze bodies "disappear." Won't nevah be found!
10-22-2013, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #9

Your first presumption that we are all up to the K5 is not quite right. I'm still shooting with the K7 and I do like what it gives me but I'm ready to upgrade and look forward to the improvements that the K3 are going to provide.

My reasons for upgrading;
1. improved resolution, with the new AA filter simulator and the ability to turn it off.
I was considering the K5IIs, this gives me the best of both with and without the AA filter.
2. improved auto focus, hopefully this is translated to low light auto focus.
the K7 sometimes has some focus issues in low light
3. 18-135 kit, this will give me 90% of photo shooting, small kit to carry on my motor cycle.
I started carrying a MFT camera in my saddle bag instead of extra luggage to carry my K7 plus lenses.
4. Because I can afford it now! (and my wife said I can )

Les
10-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Why? Was it your plan to give your wife a dead camera!
Well, no. That would not go over very well. And she is not particularly tolerant of things that don't work. She had been looking forward to getting her hands on the k-5 for a while now.
10-22-2013, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #11

I cannot see normhead's reasons. Does anyone else have that problem?
10-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Planned to get the K-30 for wife when we go to Japan later in the year, but now I am thinking of getting her the K-5IIs (or may be K-3) instead; depending on price differentials between K-3 and K-5IIs, Either K-5IIs/K-5 or K-3/K-5 combo will be awesome, but the K-5IIs would be nicer to my wallet.
10-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
I cannot see normhead's reasons. Does anyone else have that problem?
I can see normhead's reasons....
10-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #14

Now they are showing up. Very strange.
10-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I know some fellas in Chicagah dat can make doze bodies "disappear." Won't nevah be found!
No problems, I knows some guys from Jersey....