Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K3 Silver warranty repair

In one of the last pages of the manual it says:
"About PENTAX K-3 Premium Silver Edition
Should your camera malfunction, it shall be repaired under
the same policies as those for the standard K-3 model.
However, please be aware that should any external parts
of your camera need to be replaced, the color of the
replacement parts may be the same as that for the standard
K-3 model
."

What *!@@*!!?

This is very disappointing and something I would never have expected from Pentax, or even Ricoh for that matter. Is it really that difficult to keep a few 'silver' parts in stock? I would even be willing to pay some small premium for the different coloured part if they offered that option but having a 'Premium Silver Edition' turned into a 'Carnival Multicolour Edition' is not really acceptable in any circumstance. This is just wrong.

10-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
what? they cant mean it.

10-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not surprised. I have the K5 silver version and they included a note in the box that said the same thing.
10-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It does say "may", not "will". The numbers of spares held in stock will depend on total production, so the silver edition will almost certainly have a lower number of body spares than the black. I would say they're just covering themselves for the possibility that the silver edition may have a high call on spares, because marks will show up more easily than on the black version. I doubt that they would carry no spares at all.

10-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #5

I wonder if anyone with a limited edition ever had to have their limited Pentax repaired with external standard model parts?
10-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that the relevant word is "may". It does not say 'will be'. As it is a limited issue, I think that Ricoh is playing it safe and just covering itself. I would, if in this situation, expect the correct replacement part, nevertheless.

** Just noticed, RobA beat me to the same thought
10-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Col
Veteran Member

Hey! I don't think it will look that bad with a black lens release button.

10-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Limited really means it's limited, I guess

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Limited really means it's limited, I guess
Could be the other way... were only releasing 2000 but the demand meant some exec went... "Hold up if we collect all the spares we could make another 40!"
10-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Hey! I don't think it will look that bad with a black lens release button.
The odd black dial or button might be OK but what if it ends up looking like this:

10-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yep, "may be" doesnt mean "will". Thing is, Pentax won't stock as many limited spare parts as standard spare parts, for obvious reasons. So they might run out, while the standard parts won't run out for a long time.
But I think this wouldnt even be a big problem, how often are you replacing buttons anyway?
10-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well, almost all camera/lens makers runs out of parts for uncommon products after a while and I bet this is just a "don't sue us for it"-thing. They simply can't stock 2000 silver camera bodies to fill the need for 50 years forward, it's almost impossible.

Maybe restocking repair parts for the "Limited version" K-5 was a part of the "Special Edition" release?
10-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Well then, that would be really unique! Especially if they started using non-production colors, from their prototype parts bin.
10-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, that's one reason to stay the norm. I wonder how many parts will be allocated to authorized centers like CRIS?

Last edited by tabl10s; 10-23-2013 at 05:00 PM.
10-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
I wonder how may parts will be allocated to authorized centers like CRIS?
My experience with CRIS - and what I have noticed from other posts here - is that they special-order every single repair part from a warehouse in Japan and have someone paddle it over in a canoe.