Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
With the K-5IIs is more like a system is slow to sample the scene for subject movement more than deliberate holding from refocusing, so yes it's not going to refocus on obstacle that fast, but because it's rather so slow than so smart. And because the K-3 is supposed to be much faster, you have an option to configure how it behaves. But it still has nothing to do with the expanded area AF.
Well I do see practically what is described in teh K-3 video happening also with the K-30 in expanded area AF mode. In normal AF.C mode it focuses immediately on anything that falls in view of the selected AF point, so its not a matter of it (the K-30) being too slow - if that were the case then it would appear to be doing focus hold even when in normal AF.C mode (withoiut expanded area).

Maybe the K-30 has the first iteration of focus hold and they have further developed and perfected it in the K-3.

10-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Where I lose focus is when tracking a flying bird, center focus point, and my tracking is not perfect. Then I get hunting as it focuses on the background. A delay would help. I've not used the k5ii. It probably does some kind of delay, but here it is configurable. There may be situations where someone wants instantaneous response. Or a slow response. This will be an interesting exercise in figuring out which works best. Another situation I run into is when trying to thread a needle, focusing on a small subject in a very busy foreground and background. Smaller focus points will help alot, but a configurable lag before refocusing could help.

Does not extended af areas also mean that any point in the area could be the focus point?

I hope these settings can be applied to user modes. I think they can.

Last edited by derekkite; 10-24-2013 at 12:48 PM.
10-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Maybe the K-30 has the first iteration of focus hold and they have further developed and perfected it in the K-3.
The SAFOX X in the K-5II is newer (and better) than the SAFOX IXi+ from the K-30
10-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
It probably does some kind of delay, but here (on K-3) it is configurable. There may be situations where someone wants instantaneous response. Or a slow response. This will be an interesting exercise in figuring out which works best.
I have not measured it, but it feel more or less like a second before K-5 IIs gives up when focus is lost and try to focusing on something else when expanded area AF is enabled.

10-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Where I lose focus is when tracking a flying bird, center focus point, and my tracking is not perfect. Then I get hunting as it focuses on the background. A delay would help. I've not used the k5ii. It probably does some kind of delay, but here it is configurable. There may be situations where someone wants instantaneous response. Or a slow response. This will be an interesting exercise in figuring out which works best. Another situation I run into is when trying to thread a needle, focusing on a small subject in a very busy foreground and background. Smaller focus points will help alot, but a configurable lag before refocusing could help.

Does not extended af areas also mean that any point in the area could be the focus point?

I hope these settings can be applied to user modes. I think they can.
But are you using the expanded area AF mode or just plain AF.C? I Find it works great in situations as you described. Perhaps not all the time but certainly most of the time.

[edit]
QuoteQuote:
No, not for the initial focus. When you first half press the shutter it will focus on the point you have selected manually (which in my opinion should always be the centre one). It is only when your subject drifts away from the selected point that it will automatically select the one that comes closest to the subject. As long as your subject doesn't drift out of the nine points for too long (probably a second or two) it will select whichever focus point it believes is covering your subject.

Last edited by lister6520; 10-24-2013 at 01:00 PM.
10-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Well I do see practically what is described in teh K-3 video happening also with the K-30 in expanded area AF mode. In normal AF.C mode it focuses immediately on anything that falls in view of the selected AF point, so its not a matter of it (the K-30) being too slow - if that were the case then it would appear to be doing focus hold even when in normal AF.C mode (withoiut expanded area).
Same as on K-5 II
10-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Same as on K-5 II
But you can't configure the delay. With the K-3 you can. And it looks like it works independently - you can choose it with the regular AF.C or with the expanded area modes

10-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #38
Veteran Member

That basically means you have the main (selected) point, and surrounding backup points that help to track the subject.
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
I have not measured it, but it feel more or less like a second before K-5 IIs gives up when focus is lost and try to focusing on something else when expanded area AF is enabled.
Yes, I've just checked it - there is much longer delay if you're moving the camera from one subject to the other in expanded area mode, so there is some kind of "hold" feature built into that mode, but it is not an "essence" of it and with the K-3 you have two independent settings.
10-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
And here I put off getting the k5iis because I thought if wasn't quite the upgrade that I was looking for
10-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #40

High speed flash is supportable: Page 86;

With the AF540FGZ, AF540FGZ II, AF360FGZ, or AF360FGZ II, you can use the high-speed sync flash to discharge the flash and take a picture at a shutter speed faster than 1/180 seconds. Select an exposure mode (such as I) which allows you to set the shutter speed.

General Hmmms:
Wifi / Flu card only is supported in the 2nd slot. Still lacking information about the Flu card in general.
Zoom in while in Live View is back.
User Manual is smaller (fewer pages) than prior cameras models.
10-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hank Quote
User Manual is smaller (fewer pages) than prior cameras models.
While I like the new layout, it is less detailed sometimes than the old manuals.

Pentax would do well to issue some supplementary material on using specific features in the new camera, like the AF, video etc.
10-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hank Quote
High speed flash is supportable: Page 86;
Everybody knows that - the main concern is if there is a HSS support in wireless mode and with the pop-up flash as a controller.