Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Right, guess I'll go ahead and buy one for my 2 year old nephew; he loves colourful things. I'm sure he will have fun handling a colourful piece of kit, cause that's who they are clearly targeted towards.
Pentax has some competition for your nephew's spending money. The bright color scheme seems to work for the market. Maybe Pentax should add some lightning bolts to theirs as well.

Attached Images

10-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Ricoh Unveils the Pentax K-3 DSLR | Unique Photo Blog Unique Photo Blog
10-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Pentax has some competition for your nephew's spending money. The bright color scheme seems to work for the market. Maybe Pentax should add some lightning bolts to theirs as well.
Might as well ask some Pentaxians why they bought their coloured K-* kits instead of that masterpiece. Clearly missing out on something good there.

10-24-2013, 03:57 PM - 3 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder why cars come in so many colours?
A car is a tool...transport...do all Pentaxians drive black cars...other than 2000 who are allowed a silver one?
Not trying to be argumentative, but I would think if people are happy to buy a quality product that also happens to not be black that would be OK?
Anyways...just saying...
Cheers
Dean

10-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Oh, boy, complaining again, today is the colors...
Trying to sell non-black cameras is such a bad idea that e.g. Canon and Nikon are following suit.
10-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

"How do we get people to notice our small stand and this new but rather unassuming looking k-3"

Answer A: "Let's put more unassuming cameras on the desk that people won't really notice. I mean, the 645D will really catch the eye of people from a distance right?"

Answer B: "Let's fill the table with color. Especially this bright red table mat - with big giant PENTAX letters on top. Of course, that's only a formality because eventually it'll just be RICOH, as everyone can deduce by the way we keep the big giant PENTAX on top. Let's also put the k-3 on the tripod so anyone stopping by will think - 'hey why is this guy special?' "

By the way, when do they close tomorrow (Friday)? I work next to the Empire State building so I could visit after work if they are still around.
10-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dean Bradshaw Quote
I wonder why cars come in so many colours?
A car is a tool...transport...do all Pentaxians drive black cars...other than 2000 who are allowed a silver one?
Not trying to be argumentative, but I would think if people are happy to buy a quality product that also happens to not be black that would be OK?
Anyways...just saying...
Cheers
Dean
nice perspective

I don't see what the big deal is with choices - no one forces anyone to buy a certain color, but if they sell then why is that bad? Also, if it gets someone's attention who may not have otherwise noticed, that's an opportunity that they might not have had otherwise.

10-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Might as well ask some Pentaxians why they bought their coloured K-* kits instead of that masterpiece. Clearly missing out on something good there.
I don't care why. Last time I was at the beach I saw a guy who weighed every bit of 380 pounds wearing a yellow thong. "Why" isn't really relevant. I'm sure he thinks it looks good. Trying to attract a mate I guess.....
10-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm not against the colours. I think they are great attention grabbers, and would have little problem using a yellow, red or blue DSLR myself. (Maybe I'd draw the line at pink).

I was just surprised at how small and bare-bones the display was - a red Pentax cloth draped over a small table that they seem to be sharing with someone else, no Pentax flashes, no 645D, no Pentax tchotchkes .

But a positive is that they had gear on the table like the GR, the K-3 and the K-50, and people could probably handle it all.
10-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well - that's indicative of the mountain Hoya left for Pentax to climb in the USA.
There's an Archie Roach song the Australians here will be familiar with: "From Little Things, Big Things Grow". Alternatively, we could have Julie Andrews, singing "Climb Every Mountain". No?
10-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I think black has a beautiful technical look, so that's my preference.
For those who have commented on the colour, you have been thinking kids and toys. Wrong !
There is a large and growing interest in photography from women and Pentax is being smart by trying to capture the female side of the market.

PS - If I did buy a coloured one I would choose yellow so I could find it easily.
10-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I like yellow 803c Pantone.
10-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Given my previous comment in another PF thread re Ricoh/Pentax, this K3 should come in a nice "whine" red....lol
10-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Somehow it doesn't look like a Pentax. It's a subtle departure. I think the K-5 is a better looking camera, and I miss the green ring, but looks are very low on my priorities. I am happy to see them out hustling their wares.
10-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
There is a large and growing interest in photography from women and Pentax is being smart by trying to capture the female side of the market.
+1. My DiL and my other son's GF both have recently gotten Pentax cameras. Neither cared a bit about all the 'gear' buzzwords. Sensor? what's that? MegaPixel? Huh? FPS? Are you serious? It comes in colors. Oohhh. The hard part was deciding on which color. Far more time invested in the color decision than anything else.

My camera is black and I doubt that will ever change. But there is a huge market out there that either wants to be different, or just was not inoculated that DSLR's have to be black. And guess who just released a RED camera? Hmm Nikon...