Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
That's perfectly fine and valid, just keep in mind this 'test' incorporates that raw cooking - cooking that can also be done to a D600/D610 shot in post.

Don't see any reason to fear the megapixels. K-3 looks like a great camera and an actual upgrade from the K-5.
Nikon presumably does the same to produce the high iso shots.

10-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Either biased or just careless. 'Reviewers' can indeed be biased for/against a brand. Remember that video that was making the rounds a few months ago where the 'reviewer' was claiming that the K-5 AF was superior to other cameras because (among other things) the K-5 would focus in a split second where the Nikon for example would take up to three seconds in the same situation? I lost track of the inaccuracies about 1/3 of the way through, but a good number of folks took that as a legitimate video review.

As Falk said, if you hang your hat on stuff like this it can actually work against Pentax's legitimacy. Let's wait for the real reviewers, the real sensor tests, I have no doubt they'll be good - and will have the benefit of being rigorous.

Jay, you are biased as well. You walk into a room assuming that any full frame camera is going to trump any APS-C camera and any data that even shows them to be close, you discount. I said before that I think the D600 will be better with regard to sensor, but certainly the photos do not show it blowing the K3 out of the water in any respect. There are many reasons to want full frame -- wide angles, faster lenses, and better viewfinder, but you are biased as they come Jay and you really do not need to ride to the rescue of any full frame cameras.
10-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #93
Pentaxian

I call foul play on those dog shots.

How in the world is it possible for two dogs not to move one pixel in the time it takes to shoot two different cameras from the exact same camera position.
10-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote

How in the world is it possible for two dogs not to move one pixel in the time it takes to shoot two different cameras from the exact same camera position.
Already been addressed in this thread and in the article itself. The shots are close, not identical.

10-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The dog was watching a horse. Did you read the writer's comment at the bottom?
10-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #96
Pentaxian

I'm am still very skeptical. One dog may be memorized but not two.
10-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #97
Pentaxian

I can see the DOF difference in the rear dog's fur, to no doubt it's two different shots.

10-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I can see the DOF difference in the rear dog's fur, to no doubt it's two different shots.
Do you have two different brands of cameras? Tell me how long it takes you to orient them to the exact same position to take a shot. Even on a tripod the lenses will be at different heights from the mount.
10-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #99
Veteran Member

I think these reports are a good thing... That means photography gets better by the month if K-3 can compete with D600.

D600 IQ is really, really good, so if K-3 is anywhere close to it or better, everyone wins.

In the end of the day the image is what matter

November is not that far off, so I'm sure people will make proper comparisons at that point.
10-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have two different brands of cameras? Tell me how long it takes you to orient them to the exact same position to take a shot. Even on a tripod the lenses will be at different heights from the mount.
They are two different images. I suppose, she could have photographed them both with the D600 and then altered the exif on one to say K3 with DA *55. It is easily done. But why?
10-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #101
Veteran Member

Boy, that's not true at all. Trust me, multiple dogs are commonly "mesmerized" by the same thing.
10-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #102
Pentaxian

Whatever.
10-27-2013, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #103

The dog tests were shot by the same people who faked the moon landing!
10-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #104
Veteran Member

My dogs are currently watching 'one man and his dog'
I could take may images with alomost zero movemnt.
I can only assume these skeptics

1. haven't examined the images closley at al ('pixel perfect') even a rough ovelrlay shows they are different
2. don't own dogs

At this stage any call of 'foul' smacks more of FF boosterism than any lgocial claim.

The best I've seen is

Though stats show little difference between FF and apd-C and images show even less there are more differences if your experienced
I'm quite frankly embarassed for such claims fo magic pixie FF dust.

There are quite valid arguments for FF but seem 'experienced' doesn't tell you what they are
10-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
The d600 when set @6400 is actually shooting @4870 an old Nikon trick they've done on all their cameras to catch the unwary !
I know about the problem of true iso vs. camera setting.

Testers could have shot manual and equalized brightness in post. Note that I criticized the test, not the K-3. It is the testers who claim to see equal noise ...

BTW, the K-3 made a 1/3 stop shorter exposure but the final image is darker too. Both effects should about cancel out when doing a visual inspection of noise in darker areas.

I now looked at the other example too, ISO 6400 with the red fruit (whetever it is called in English ). Here, both cameras used the same exposure, i.e., are not affected by the difference in camera iso. And the diference in noise is at least as large (unfortunately, the K-3 image wasn't focused exactly enough to have any detail in exact focus -- maybe, easiest is to compare the out-of-focus brick wall).

QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
I am sorry but I am not seeing what you are seeing. I also opened the 6400 samples. Yes, there is more noise in the K3 samples but there also seems to be more detail.
I looked in particular at the center of the tree leaf image. Just below the brown tips. IMHO, the difference in noise is obvious and looks like a one stop difference to me personally.

Any difference in detail would be due to focus and DoF, as there are no noise reduction differences involved here.

I think too that our little conversation shows how subjective and emotional such discussions quickly become if no rigorous standard for testing has been established. DxO is really to praise for their achievements. I don't see them overrated at all. Not everybody interprets results correctly though.