Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
2 quick questions on K3

Hi,
Too many threads to keep up--
1)does the K3 have a preview histogram to adjust exposure BEFORE taking the picture and
2). What was the final answer on the sensor- Sony was last I heard, but no indiciation if it was new etc. at that time. Has that changed?

I am really flip flopping between this an a D600 for about the same price. i have a minimal investment in PK lenses and no F mount lenses

Thanks

10-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
Hi,
Too many threads to keep up--
1)does the K3 have a preview histogram to adjust exposure BEFORE taking the picture and
2). What was the final answer on the sensor- Sony was last I heard, but no indiciation if it was new etc. at that time. Has that changed?

I am really flip flopping between this an a D600 for about the same price. i have a minimal investment in PK lenses and no F mount lenses

Thanks
It's a Sony sensor (according to Pentax in Japan, whom we interviewed just over a week ago). Still, there are no production cameras around, so not much can be said about the image quality that isn't speculative. If you can get a FF for the same price, that's almost a steal if it's in good condition!

And yes, there is a live view histogram.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've heard the D600 had issues that are fixed in the D610 so you might want to trade of the K3 against the D610.

Rumor: Nikon to Release D610 to Address the D600's Sensor Speck Issues
10-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

To complicate it a bit, here's Canon 6D for $1215
Canon EOS 6D Body Refurbished | Canon Online Store

Enter code ZOMBIE2143 at checkout for the extra 20% off.

It's oos now but might go back in stock later.

Originally found at
US deal: SIZZLING HOT Canon Refurb Prices DSLRs, Lenses eg Rebel 6D FF $1215 US! - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

10-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Argh, didn't need to see that 6D! I had ruled that out bec they were $2000 for the body only. I already bought a new D600 from Adorama during their ebay deal last week for $1600, incl the 24-85 lens and 1 yr Nikon warranty.

It doesn't have a live histogram though. And I keep having 2d thoughts generally. I'm ok rolling the dice on the oil situation.

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
To complicate it a bit, here's Canon 6D for $1215
Canon EOS 6D Body Refurbished | Canon Online Store

Enter code ZOMBIE2143 at checkout for the extra 20% off.

It's oos now but might go back in stock later.

Originally found at
US deal: SIZZLING HOT Canon Refurb Prices DSLRs, Lenses eg Rebel 6D FF $1215 US! - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
10-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #6

Nikon D600 vs. Pentax K-3 Image Comparison
10-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by siamthai Quote
Yeah, I saw that and the replies from pentaxians and nikonians.
Each group says they're the best.

10-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
Yeah, I saw that and the replies from pentaxians and nikonians. Each group says they're the best.
So we can call it a draw?

In that case which ergonomics, menu system, flash system and accessories do you like better? Honestly at the level of k-3/D600 the glass and photographer are more important than the camera. Pick whichever one feels better to use.

Though it does seem a little weird that the k-3 is getting compared with the D600 rather than the D7100..........
10-28-2013, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So we can call it a draw?

In that case which ergonomics, menu system, flash system and accessories do you like better? Honestly at the level of k-3/D600 the glass and photographer are more important than the camera. Pick whichever one feels better to use.

Though it does seem a little weird that the k-3 is getting compared with the D600 rather than the D7100..........
It's a sensation piece... logic has nothing to do with it. It's just odd that those guys bothered to take comparison photos. It's just odd that they even have the camera. Adam doesn't have the camera, with 40,000 Pentax shooters on his website. How did that guy get one?
10-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Adam doesn't have the camera, with 40,000 Pentax shooters on his website. How did that guy get one?
Hmmmm... Good point, unless those are from a pre-production version? Which would violate their NDA, maybe.

In another thread it is reported the k-3 is on the front page of Amateur Photographer in UK: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/240838-amateur-photographe...ep-pentax.html So did they use pre-production version? Magazine lead times are several months I would think? They are calling the article a 'first look' so I guess that means pre-production.