Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #16

Thanks. That sounds very encouraging. That one improvement alone may lead me to pick up the K3.

10-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great observations so far and very helpful. Mine came tonight and it's fun setting it all up and coming to understand the new features involving the AF module - looking forward to trying them out in the field. One thing I noticed tonight goofing around the house, the AWB, and the multi-AWB is warmer than the the AWB on the K5 IIs. Also, can any of you locate the ME viewfinder cap? I can't find one anywhere in my box, and as I like to do long exposures, I really would like to have one, and it is supposed to be included. Really nice camera, and after reading some of the posts over the last 24 hours about the diopter and the focus problems from a respectable poster in the other forum, it's a great relief to have it in hand and working and focusing just fine!
10-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
So only High Iso is dragging it down. This was suspected. other that that. seems like great!
I don't know where you are getting that. DXOMark shows the 24mp cameras with the same SNR ratio as the 16mp cameras. What you saw was probably pixel level SNR, which is not relevant.
10-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Azzy Quote
High ISO seems to be as good as K5 or maybe a bit worse, further testing is still required.
So I've started loading all my DNGs from our Halloween party into Adobe Camera Raw (I use ACR 8.1 via Bridge CS6) and here are a few things I've noticed from some "practical" experience.

- High ISOs look a bit worse than the K-5 (as Azzy says above) in terms of the amount of noise, but it seems finer grained (well, hey, 24MP...). It seems the K-5 gets a lot more Chroma noise, but the K-3 gets all kinds of Luminance as the ISOs ramp up. Perhaps this is where noise profiles will be the saving grace?

- The K-3 focuses very well and very confidently in low light, even in full dark (outdoors in the rain). My K-5 would never even attempt what the K-3 could do while we were trick-n-treating. (This is with center single focus-and-recompose, which is my style.) Maybe the K-5II is the same?

- The metering tends to expose a bit brighter than my K-5, at least that's what it seems like. I set the camera to TAv and my Auto-ISO goes to 12,800 with a slow ramp (personal preference) and ended up with Exp. Comp. -1.0 the whole night, indoors and out.

- The AWB is actually pretty good, and handles mixed lighting with aplomb. Unfortunately, it seems ACR doesn't entirely understand how to process the "Multi Auto WB" so what I saw in the preview is gone in ACR and I have to fiddle with the sliders. Hopefully an update from Adobe will fix this... or maybe it's a JPEG-only kind of magic.

- The Dynamic Range in the raw files (as of ACR 8.1 via DNG) is quite a bit less in the K-3 than in the K-5. Where the K-5 could boost shadows from a black blob to decent detail, the K-3 gets monochromatic noisy. Highlights are also hard to recover... but again, this might just be that there is no raw camera profile for this model yet. There would have to be a huge difference to get back up to the K-5 plasticity, though...

- I rarely use flash, but popped up the onboard for a few shots. It exposed very well, and only looked a bit harsh in that pop-up kind of flash way.

Here's an example of the pop-up flash (firing over the DA 35 Macro Ltd.) and please note the girl is a VAMPIRE - she has white and green makeup on her face!

However, the 24MP and the laser-like focus of the K-3 completely knocked one part of this photo out of the pixel-peeping park:
(100% pixel level crop)

And here is an example of ISO 12800 after I ran it through Nik Define (the noise tools in ACR kinda suck on the K-3 images). Also, I couldn't pull the shadows up one bit at this ISO... there is no DR left in the image, but it looks pretty accurate to what I saw:

Last edited by panoguy; 10-31-2013 at 07:42 PM.
10-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
Also, can any of you locate the ME viewfinder cap? I can't find one anywhere in my box, and as I like to do long exposures, I really would like to have one, and it is supposed to be included.
Mine was in a little baggie with the strap. PM me your address and I'll post it out... I've never used these things, and my longest exposure ever was 2.5 seconds!

QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
Really nice camera, and after reading some of the posts over the last 24 hours about the diopter and the focus problems from a respectable poster in the other forum, it's a great relief to have it in hand and working and focusing just fine!
I'm pretty sure the "diopter problem" was a false flag meant to grab attention. No one else in the US has received their cameras from the Pentax Webstore (and you can even read their generic "delay email" in this forum), but that poster somehow did get one, but couldn't exchange it? Also, for some reason he couldn't post a picture of the camera diopter... hmmm.
10-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
However, the 24MP and the laser-like focus of the K-3 completely knocked one part of this photo out of the pixel-peeping park: (100% pixel level crop)
Heh. When I saw the whole image, I initially thought: 'This image looks a bit soft'.
Obviously not.
10-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Things I've noticed about the K-3 so far"

That mine is not in my hands yet, and I am going stir crazy.

That is all.

10-31-2013, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
"Things I've noticed about the K-3 so far"

That mine is not in my hands yet, and I am going stir crazy.

That is all.
And that I'm wearing out my keyboard typing in the tracking number.

Patience is a virtue, they say.
10-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
And that I'm wearing out my keyboard typing in the tracking number.

Patience is a virtue, they say.
And a virtue I do not possess.

11-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Inconsistent mode change operation....some things you have to hold and use the scroll to change (metering mode, af mode) while others you just have to press and scroll (ISO, EV)
Your description is a bit ambiguous so this may not be relevant, but do you realise that you can operate the ISO and EV buttons in two ways? You can either "click / turn / click" or "hold & turn". It would appear that the latter mode would allow consistent operation throughout.

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Unfortunately, it seems ACR doesn't entirely understand how to process the "Multi Auto WB" so what I saw in the preview is gone in ACR and I have to fiddle with the sliders. Hopefully an update from Adobe will fix this... or maybe it's a JPEG-only kind of magic.
I'm not sure what Ricoh's "Multi-AWB" is about. It could either be just a cleverer way of arriving at the regular colour temperature and tint settings or it could actually apply different WB to different parts of the image.

It is almost certain that Adobe will never support the latter in ACR / LR. Before that happens we'll see wired tethering of the K-3 supported by LR and some further impossible things.
11-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'm not sure what Ricoh's "Multi-AWB" is about. It could either be just a cleverer way of arriving at the regular colour temperature and tint settings or it could actually apply different WB to different parts of the image.

It is almost certain that Adobe will never support the latter in ACR / LR. Before that happens we'll see wired tethering of the K-3 supported by LR and some further impossible things.
Hopefully Adobe (DXO & C1) releases a profile for the K-3 which will support this feature in DNG and PEF files.
11-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #27

What software did it come with? is it still a basic version of SilkyPix?
11-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #28
Veteran Member

One of the biggest things I have learned in reading these K-3 threads is how little I know about RAW file processing! I didn't even know it was important to have these profiles everyone is talking about.
11-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brew1brew Quote
What software did it come with? is it still a basic version of SilkyPix?
I was very pleased to see that the K-3 software is DCU5, not the horribly obtuse Silkypix bundled with the Q and K-01.
11-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #30

Photos: Gallery
Shooting with LV is much much improved, with K-5 the mirror need to go down and then up again before capturing image. K-3 does it instantly, and no I have not noticed delay MF with LV
No, only the K 20 D works so. Since K-7 the mirror doesn't move from LifeView to exposure.