Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2021, 01:03 PM   #11926
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The Alamo in San Antonio, TX. K-3 and HD DA 21.

Nice shots! ... I will say however the Alamo is almost the least impressive of the missions along the river. Very - and I mean very - little of the actual mission or the later fort of fame remains. Your photos are of the much later constructed memorial. If you ever get a chance head only a few miles down river to the mission furthest from downtown San Antonio (the oldest mission in the group) and work your way back on Mission Trail. Other than the Alamo, all of the missions are still operating parishes with the properties jointly managed between the Catholic church and the National Park Service. Once you have done the trail, you'll understand what I mean.

11-11-2021, 01:17 PM - 4 Likes   #11927
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lake Superior is under a Gale Warning today. For those of you who haven't been overwhelmed by Gordon Lightfoot's song, The ore freighter Edmond Fitzgerald sank during a gale on Lake Superior the evening of November 10, 1975. This gale in my experience is not as strong as the one in 1975, but certainly no captain should risk being on the open Lake today.

The family has a small seasonal cottage on Lake Superior on a bay facing southeast (close to the gale's wind direction). Other than blowing the cap off the chimney and dropping a few branches, there was no damage.

K-3 & DA 18-135 WR (advisable for today's shots)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-11-2021, 05:23 PM - 4 Likes   #11928
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Nice shots! ... I will say however the Alamo is almost the least impressive of the missions along the river. Very - and I mean very - little of the actual mission or the later fort of fame remains. Your photos are of the much later constructed memorial. If you ever get a chance head only a few miles down river to the mission furthest from downtown San Antonio (the oldest mission in the group) and work your way back on Mission Trail. Other than the Alamo, all of the missions are still operating parishes with the properties jointly managed between the Catholic church and the National Park Service. Once you have done the trail, you'll understand what I mean.
We did the trail... Mission San Jose is indeed the best looking, but I would not say the Alamo is the least impressive... just the most modified.

So they told us that it was the Alamo we were in... but that they had rebuilt what is now the front of it. That it did not have a ceiling at the time and the rooms on the side were where the women and children had been hiding. What is now the back of the Alamo was a raised floor where canons were set up.

So yes a lot of it was constructed later but it is the site and the original walls, it is a memorial because that is where the defenders of Texas all were killed by Santa Anna...

A shot of Mission San Jose.

11-11-2021, 11:53 PM   #11929
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Lake Superior is under a Gale Warning today. For those of you who haven't been overwhelmed by Gordon Lightfoot's song, The ore freighter Edmond Fitzgerald sank during a gale on Lake Superior the evening of November 10, 1975. This gale in my experience is not as strong as the one in 1975, but certainly no captain should risk being on the open Lake today.

The family has a small seasonal cottage on Lake Superior on a bay facing southeast (close to the gale's wind direction). Other than blowing the cap off the chimney and dropping a few branches, there was no damage.

K-3 & DA 18-135 WR (advisable for today's shots)
Inland water bodies are notorious for bad storms.

Do the storms on Lake Superior come up almost without warning or are they the result of the general weather in the area and so fairly predictable the day before?

11-12-2021, 04:42 AM - 3 Likes   #11930
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seneca Creek (DA 15 limited)

11-12-2021, 06:11 PM   #11931
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Inland water bodies are notorious for bad storms.

Do the storms on Lake Superior come up almost without warning or are they the result of the general weather in the area and so fairly predictable the day before?
There are literally thousands of weather related commercial shipwrecks on Lake Superior over the last 250 years. Weather forecasting has improved greatly over even the past 20 years. Bad weather forecasts today of potential storms are typically made upward of several days in advance. However, locations on the Lake for these storms is still very general at best. I am talking about storms meaningful for large freighters which range from 230-300m (750-1000 ft) in length. For smaller watercraft, things can still get nasty with little notice.

Some people do refer to Superior as an inland sea. But salt-water mariners will quickly notice that fresh water is less buoyant than salt water, and it freezes faster when coating a craft in cold weather. They will notice that wave frequency is higher. Still, Lake Superior is large enough to experience tide. Admittedly we are talking about typically an inch or less, but the tide is measurable. I have watched streams draining into the Lake slow, stall, or even reverse flow due to tide.
11-12-2021, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #11932
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
We did the trail... Mission San Jose is indeed the best looking, but I would not say the Alamo is the least impressive... just the most modified.

So they told us that it was the Alamo we were in... but that they had rebuilt what is now the front of it. That it did not have a ceiling at the time and the rooms on the side were where the women and children had been hiding. What is now the back of the Alamo was a raised floor where canons were set up.

So yes a lot of it was constructed later but it is the site and the original walls, it is a memorial because that is where the defenders of Texas all were killed by Santa Anna...

A shot of Mission San Jose.
I like the image. Mission San Jose is certainly the largest and most restored and interpreted mission. My favorites are Mission Espada (other than the school and the church - which I love, the mission is mostly ruins) and Mission San Juan.

11-13-2021, 07:24 AM - 3 Likes   #11933
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Way to Juiliet
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-15-2021, 08:13 PM - 5 Likes   #11934
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Autumnal Moon

Pentax K3 + Sigma 18-250
11-17-2021, 03:30 AM - 9 Likes   #11935
Pentaxian

Blue hour shots

K3 & DA 16-85
11-21-2021, 09:56 AM - 5 Likes   #11936
Pentaxian

11-21-2021, 09:59 AM   #11937
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Blue hour shots
K3 & DA 16-85
We used to have a whole "blue hour" thread, I wonder what happened to it.
11-21-2021, 03:09 PM - 2 Likes   #11938
Pentaxian

Today's afternoon dog walk....
K-3 and Sigma 70 2.8 macro

On the old school road.

He has choice of hundreds of sticks, but this is the one.

Starting to look more like a dog, and less like a puppy.

The little guy is up to 32 pounds and is currently putting on 3 pounds a week. He is projected to be 70 pounds, although the breeders said he would be 55... and one of his brothers was 1/3rd bigger.
11-22-2021, 02:01 PM - 2 Likes   #11939
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Orange Spring Mound, Yellowstone NP

K-3 II, DA 18-135mm WR
Attached Images

11-27-2021, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #11940
Pentaxian

fun day at guntersville lake, alabama....K-3ii....sigma 150-500os........x-posted