Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2017, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #7876
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FA 31 F 6.3

F*300 taken from atop the roof of a 12 story building.

02-21-2017, 08:09 PM - 3 Likes   #7877
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3 on the snowy streets of Ottawa.
02-22-2017, 04:24 AM   #7878
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Guess what? You are absolutely welcome to it! Actually, sympathy for the problems, expense, annoyance, labor etc. caused by that much snow.
02-22-2017, 07:19 AM   #7879
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Looks like our streets - every year. The photo below was taken on 19 December. The backyard snow depth doubled in the next month (up to the bottom of the porch windows). Our season total stands at 222 inches / 564 cm. More snow is on the way in a couple days.

Not that I am without feeling for the folks east of us. We know it is coming and the area has the snow moving gear to handle it.

For what it is worth, I took this one mainly to test my newly acquired GPS accessory. And yes, I should have posted a properly processed RAW image, but you get a quicky jpg processed in Microsoft Office's photo app.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by JimJohnson; 02-22-2017 at 07:28 AM.
02-22-2017, 07:42 AM   #7880
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Guess what? You are absolutely welcome to it! Actually, sympathy for the problems, expense, annoyance, labor etc. caused by that much snow.
Haha, indeed! I'm glad someone else understands what a nuisance it is. :P
02-22-2017, 07:53 AM - 2 Likes   #7881
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is a very accurate representation of what a lot of us snowbirds remember, nice pic, and also the reason many of us left! LOL!

I remember quite well, getting up at 5AM to shovel out the driveway and sidewalk only to have the stu@#!@ D1#@$* city plow come and make a pass that left a 6ft snow drift in front of my driveway and sidewalks.
UGH indeed!!!

Eric
02-22-2017, 07:56 AM   #7882
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

as one who grew up in east central Illinois near Bloomington and Champaign and then spent years in Iowa, I enjoyed the change in seasons and if it was cold I wanted snow.

now that region of the country didn't get the snow fall that the northern part of the country gets and it gets even less now but we did get real snow storms from time to time.

02-22-2017, 08:01 AM   #7883
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
It is a very accurate representation of what a lot of us snowbirds remember, nice pic, and also the reason many of us left! LOL!

I remember quite well, getting up at 5AM to shovel out the driveway and sidewalk only to have the stu@#!@ D1#@$* city plow come and make a pass that left a 6ft snow drift in front of my driveway and sidewalks.
UGH indeed!!!

Eric
A few years ago the District of Sparwood put into operation a new plan for snow removal. They still stupidly plow to the side instead of the middle of a four lane street with sidewalks, but sometimes you cannot get works managers to think cheap. What they do now, though, is send a DOS pickup truck with a plow and remove the berms from all the driveways. I haven't had to replace a shear pin on the snowplow for years.
02-22-2017, 08:22 AM   #7884
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote

UGH indeed!!!

Eric
Haha, these are my exact sentiments Eric!
02-23-2017, 06:56 AM - 5 Likes   #7885
Pentaxian

DA 12-24 (I use this lens much less than I should. And now with K-1 it's not gonna change to better...)

02-24-2017, 06:11 AM - 2 Likes   #7886
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice stuff Zzeitg!

Railway station near my place.
02-24-2017, 06:25 AM   #7887
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
A few years ago the District of Sparwood put into operation a new plan for snow removal. They still stupidly plow to the side instead of the middle of a four lane street with sidewalks, but sometimes you cannot get works managers to think cheap. What they do now, though, is send a DOS pickup truck with a plow and remove the berms from all the driveways. I haven't had to replace a shear pin on the snowplow for years.
V-A-V stupidly plowing to the side, that is possible, but, it's also possible that big plow blades, the ones that are placed, for example, on the front of garbage trucks and heavy dump trucks, are asymmetrically shaped and can only divert snow off to the side of the road unless the truck goes the wrong way down a lane.
02-24-2017, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #7888
Veteran Member

An Album from a recent Jazz Concert at the Avalanche Bar and Grill in Courtenay BC Jeff Agopsowicz Quintet | Flickr All images taken with K3II using a variety of lenses including DA 21 Limited, FA 100, DA* 50-135 and Sigma 70-200 HSM OS

Last edited by bobell69; 02-25-2017 at 01:20 PM.
02-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #7889
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
V-A-V stupidly plowing to the side, that is possible, but, it's also possible that big plow blades, the ones that are placed, for example, on the front of garbage trucks and heavy dump trucks, are asymmetrically shaped and can only divert snow off to the side of the road unless the truck goes the wrong way down a lane.
That was the cheap solution we suggested. Just drive the grader down the street wrong side up. They have been doing that in my wife's home town in northern Québec forever. I went up in March of 1965 to meet the family on their home turf. The berm down the middle of the street was one lane wide and 10 ft/3 m tall. Claire tells me that she and her siblings used to make forts and tunnels in the berms. That may sound dangerous, but when the normal winter temperatures are in the -40 degree range (either F or C) the snow tends to be a big block of ice when the plow moves it.

The crazy thing is that yesterday and today they have been plowing the plowed berms to the center of the street, moving the snow for a second time, and picking up the berm in trucks and taking it away. Hopelessly inefficient. Of course it is only my tax dollars that are suffering ...
02-25-2017, 06:39 AM - 4 Likes   #7890

With the DA* 60-250mm: