Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #1

K-3: Anyone solved the RAW PEF or DNG on Mac?

I'm new to the forum. I just got my new K-3 after using my K10D for years. I'm unable to open raw files in Aperture, iPhoto or Preview. The only thing that works is the Pentax utility, which is not ideal. I'm on the latest version of OS, Aperture, iPhoto (Mavericks + app updates).

Any tips or solutions?

11-04-2013, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adobe Lightroom?
11-04-2013, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by audiebrew Quote
I'm new to the forum. I just got my new K-3 after using my K10D for years. I'm unable to open raw files in Aperture, iPhoto or Preview. The only thing that works is the Pentax utility, which is not ideal. I'm on the latest version of OS, Aperture, iPhoto (Mavericks + app updates).

Any tips or solutions?
They all share the same system libraries, so you'll need to wait for Apple to release a RAW camera update with K-3 support. Shouldn't take too long now that the camera is out. Or you may use Lightroom, even version 4 works with DNG files already.
11-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Use the free Adobe DNG converter to convert from DNG to DNG. Sounds strange, but worked for me.

11-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #5

yeah, that's pretty good idea if you don't mind one additional step in your workflow
11-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bedo Quote
They all share the same system libraries, so you'll need to wait for Apple to release a RAW camera update with K-3 support. Shouldn't take too long now that the camera is out. Or you may use Lightroom, even version 4 works with DNG files already.
It's something else. Aperture/iPhoto had no problems opening DNG files from Pentax cameras before the applicable cameras were officially supported with an Apple RAW Camera Update. Until now, apparently.
11-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
It's something else. Aperture/iPhoto had no problems opening DNG files from Pentax cameras before the applicable cameras were officially supported with an Apple RAW Camera Update. Until now, apparently.
different DNG version, maybe?

11-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never tried it on mac but on linux and windows, Rawtherapee never failed to render dngs from newer Pentax dslrs, including the k-3. You might need to spend a little time learning it though, as documentation is not the best.
11-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Dan
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wahid_satu Quote
I've never tried it on mac but on linux and windows, Rawtherapee never failed to render dngs from newer Pentax dslrs, including the k-3. You might need to spend a little time learning it though, as documentation is not the best.
Are you saying that you have opened K-3 DNGs with Rawtherapee? If so, that's great news.

EDIT: To answer my own question, I just downloaded a DNG file that had been posted on the web, and yes, Rawtherapee opens it without any difficulty. It does a great job with the colors. Nice!!

Last edited by Dan; 11-04-2013 at 11:25 AM.
11-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The Adobe DNG converter worked for me to open the files in Aperture. Used the compatibility for camera raw 5.4 and later preference and they opened after conversion. Pretty fast too. It did NOT allow the files to be opened in the latest version of DXO optics 9: none of the DNG's or any of the conversion settings worked. However, Photo Ninja 3 opened the DNG straight from the K3 with no conversion at all. Looks good too.

David
11-04-2013, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #11

I set the RAW output to DNG in the camera and the files open fine in Lightroom 5.
11-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I use Aperture and my DNG files open just fine. I have a K-5, but that shouldn't matter. Using OS X 10.9
11-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Stevizzy Quote
I use Aperture and my DNG files open just fine. I have a K-5, but that shouldn't matter. Using OS X 10.9
Apparently, it does matter. I can't open K3 DNG's posted on the web in Aperture. Yes, my K5 and K5 IIs DNG's open fine.
11-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
Are you saying that you have opened K-3 DNGs with Rawtherapee? If so, that's great news.

EDIT: To answer my own question, I just downloaded a DNG file that had been posted on the web, and yes, Rawtherapee opens it without any difficulty. It does a great job with the colors. Nice!!
Darktable works just fine as well. Both will work even better in a short while when the various camera specific stuff gets merged.
11-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback.

I tried both PEF and DNG output from the camera - no luck. Apple's latest OS update says it supports the K 5 II and IIs, but K-3 is not listed.

I haven't tried the Adobe DNG converter (yet), but I tried using the Ricoh software DNG converter. That allowed me to open the new DNG - but only in Adobe PE and not Apple products. I looked for Adobe DNG converter but I couldn't install it. I thought maybe it required a current Adobe product. I'll look again. Is there a trick to obtaining the Adobe DNG Converter? Or does it require buying Adobe (something besides and older version of Photoshop Elements)?

I don't have Lightroom and moved away from Adobe products. All I have left is an old copy of PE. I'll look into the Adobe DNG converter again, Rawtherapee and Photo Ninja as workarounds. In the end, I'd much rather find a solution for working on Mavericks with Aperture/iPhoto/Apple Preview. Hopefully, Apple will post an update quickly. Meanwhile, I haven't had any luck finding the means of posting the issue with Apple or Ricoh.