Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 08:51 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-3 Bird In Flight

I went out to test AF-C and tracking yesterday. I have so many tack sharp photos of flying gulls, I don't know what to do with them. For a sample sequence, go to this link, hit Slideshow.

https://picasaweb.google.com/bonhommed/K3BIF#

I used the DA*300 f/4. Settings were AF-C, auto-select AF (27 points), SR off, TAv mode (1/1500s, f5.6). ISO in this set varied from 280 to 400. There are some AF-C settings I was unfamiliar with:

Custom Menu item. Parameter - Setting I used

16. 1st frame action in AF-C - Auto
17. Action in AF-C Continuous - Focus Priority
18. Hold AF status - Medium

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-04-2013 at 12:49 PM.
11-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't count -- bird wasn't flying right into your face! (just kidding) Nice shots, BTW.
11-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #3

Nice!
11-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
Forum Member

Very nice. Sharp.

11-04-2013, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Doesn't count -- bird wasn't flying right into your face! (just kidding) Nice shots, BTW.
How about these, then?

11-04-2013, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I don't think I wanted to see these pictures,,, ugh

I've been trying so hard to find reasons NOT to buy a K3.
Now the GF is going to want one too, she won't be happy with my K5iis after all the complaining I've been doing about it.

Double UGH!
11-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks like Ricoh's take on Pentax is a real winner. Now if someone will just give me more than the usual $$$ for Christmas ...

11-04-2013, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #8
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote

Now the GF is going to want one too, she won't be happy with my K5iis after all the complaining I've been doing about it.

Double UGH!
GF = Gull Flying?
11-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote

Double UGH!
That's why I never complain about a camera, although in the case of the long unused K-x, I do mention we might want to sell it from time to time.

I wonder why people keep harp on this "coming straight at you" thing. Funny how no one has ever commented on how Pentax can't do images coming straight at you, and then posted their links to pages filled with images of vehicles or something coming straight at them, proving this is something that's actually relevant to their lives. Where are all these "coming straight at you" shooters? Is this real, or is this an issue fabricated for Canikon marketing reps posting on the site pretending like they want something from Pentax besides their customers?

I've never once seen a set of comparison photos, Pentax vs anyone else, where the Pentax missed a shot someone else made. Yet the band plays on.

Last edited by normhead; 11-04-2013 at 11:10 AM.
11-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've seen quite a few new-camera introductions by Pentax since I bought my K10D, but is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the high number of brand-new forum members coming out of the woodwork to criticize Pentax/Ricoh's latest (and arguably greatest) effort? I used to struggle with my old K20D to do high school sports for my kids. (Of course, now that I've upgraded to a K5ii, they're done with sports, ha!) The K3's improvement in autofocus alone, makes it worth the upgrade. Finally Pentax is on level ground with Canikon, and I think Audiobomber's bird-in-flight shots help demonstrate that nicely. Great job!
11-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
went out to test tracking yesterday. I have so many tack sharp photos of flying gulls, I don't know what to do with them. For a sample sequence, go to this link, hit Slideshow.
Very nice shots - thanks for sharing. Good to see that the AF tracking is working well, and tested in a scenario many of us would be looking at.
11-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's why I never complain about a camera, although in the case of the long unused K-x, I do mention we might want to sell it from time to time.

I wonder why people keep harp on this "coming straight at you" thing. Funny how no one has ever commented on how Pentax can't do images coming straight at you, and then posted their links to pages filled with images of vehicles or something coming straight at them, proving this is something that's actually relevant to their lives. Where are all these "coming straight at you" shooters? Is this real, or is this an issue fabricated for Canikon marketing reps posting on the site pretending like they want something from Pentax besides their customers?

I've never once seen a set of comparison photos, Pentax vs anyone else, where the Pentax missed a shot someone else made. Yet the band plays on.
I will go along with that, Norm.

My personal view (and experience with moving "targets") , for what it's worth ...: it is tough to get sharp focus on any fast moving "target" (especially when they're heading right in your face) ... and I did not mention "coming straight at you" (ooops ! I just did).

When I miss (often) a "head-on shot", I pretty much swallow the pill and asume it's my user's error.

Cheers!
11-04-2013, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This next link shows three shots in series, with a crop from each shot to show the area of focus. The K-3 ignored all distractions; the second bird, wires and pole are all out of focus, the subject is tack sharp.
https://picasaweb.google.com/bonhommed/K3TrackingTest?authkey=Gv1sRgCKXc5cLh-uGl9AE#

Last shot in the series, with crop, for those too lazy to click:

11-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Evil. Bad bomber.
11-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

I could care less what something else can or can't do, but yesterday my dog trotted towards me, and I have a series of shots with her shoulders in focus. DA300 lens on a k5. I just got my k3, and noticed quite a difference. The center spot is small. I'll be playing with the settings quite a bit, but it is quick and positive.