Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Anyone worked out the write speed yet?

Is it worth buying the 95mb cards or a waste of money?

11-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I've been using the 95 Mb/s ones and they seemed faster than a 30 Mb/s UHS-I, but I haven't done any formal testing. Will take a few busts and let you know!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I did a bit with the Extreme Pro cards today. AF-c, all three settings to focus priority, raw. It seemed as fast as or faster than the K-5 when set to the fastest mode, ie. no processing, af-c but shutter priority, etc. There is quite a bit to learn, so even noticing that wasn't my priority.

Maybe that is a data point; I didn't notice it. I figured out how to shut the thing up and turn all the lights off except the top lcd (low), and it turned into a quiet unobtrusive camera that just focused and took shots. It was very nice.
11-04-2013, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Just did a quick test.

Sandisk 95Mb/s Extreme Pro: RAW+ burst = 24 frames (framerate slowed after 3.3 seconds, writing finished after 25.7 seconds later)
Sandisk 45Mb/s Extreme: RAW+ burst = 24 frames (framerate slowed after 3.3 seconds, writing finished 43.7 seconds later)

The camera wrote about 897 Mb of data the first time and 901 Mb the second time. That works out to approximately 30-35 Mb/s with the faster card and 20-22 Mb/s with the slower card - not bad! All in-camera processing (including noise reduction) was turned off.

So it looks like Pentaxians finally have an excuse to step up to those Extreme Pro cards!
Sandisk 95Mb/s Extreme Pro| B&H Photo Video

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, the free card that B&H included is an Extreme 80MB/s card, which is about $20 cheaper for a 32gb than the Extreme Pro. Wonder if those will allow max writing speed?
Thanks for the info!
11-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Well, the free card that B&H included is an Extreme 80MB/s card, which is about $20 cheaper for a 32gb than the Extreme Pro. Wonder if those will allow max writing speed?
Thanks for the info!
Assuming you get half the advertised write speed in practice, and assuming the max speed is the 30-35Mb/s as I calculated above, the 80 Mb/s card should suffice. I don't have one around to test with, though!

Adam

11-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Assuming you get half the advertised write speed in practice, and assuming the max speed is the 30-35Mb/s as I calculated above, the 80 Mb/s card should suffice. I don't have one around to test with, though!
Makes sense. Thanks.

11-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Forum Member

thanks Adam for sharing your insight on those faster cards
11-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I spent some time trawling for K3 card speed details and decided to get the 95Mb/s card after reading:

"Dual SD card slots for memory card flexibility (compatible with SDXC UHS-1 speed class in SDR104 bus speed mode)".

Pentax K-3 | PhotographyBLOG.

dave k
11-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #10

Thanks for the info!
The specs on the B&H Extreme card shows 60MB/s Maximum Write Speed and 80MB/s Maximum Read Speed.

Last edited by Leo315; 11-05-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Reversed Read and Write Speeds