Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Thank you!

I use a light tripod, but you're right that it needs to be absolutely stable. I weigh it down with my camera bag. I also use the two second timer and/or a remote (since I need to trigger each shot individually on the K-01).

Note that if your goal is blurring water with an otherwise still subject, it might be a good idea to also take a single frame exposure (or save the individual frames on the K-3, I guess). That way, if there is some (slight) movement between/during some of the frames, you can combine the multi-exposure with a single frame in post to save the shot. This is what I did in the following shot, taken at the same time as the winter waterfalls shot above, but at 150mm rather than 20mm. The wooden platform we were on (I was with a group) was simply not sturdy enough to do a telephoto long- or multi-exposure while other people were milling about. So on the multi-exposure, the water was nice and blurry, which is what I wanted, but so was the snow, which was not what I wanted. Fortunately I also had a single frame that had the snow nice and crisp. My post-prod skills are not the greatest, but I think the final result (combining the single shot with the multi-exposure) came out OK. (And surely, if I had better "postprod-fu", it would have come out even better.) You could also use this technique to blur a waterfall while not blurring some spectacular clouds in the sky, for example.

Reviews often don't talk about these advanced features, but I'd be curious to know how other (non-Pentax) cameras compare with the K-3 in the realm of multi-exposure and interval shooting. Truly, the K-3's capabilities in this area are extremely advanced. What else out there can do a 2,000-shot multi-exposure?
Good points and example! Please note that if your first picture is blurry, it can ruin the whole series. (which was the case in some of my trial photos with cheap tripod). Most of mine had very defined rocks and trees, which were obviously misaligned. Don't get me wrong though, I DID get some very nice composites with the same cheap tripod. I was just very disappointed in myself for ruining what would have been some very neat pictures, had I taken the STURDY tripod instead!

10-30-2014, 07:17 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I promise you that someone will find a way to use all 2000 and then complain that it is not enought.
And then someone will post their example taken with their Fuji/Sony/Panasonic or whatever camera that does 4000 exposures, and explain why they can't possibly live without at least 3800.
10-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And then someone will post their example taken with their Fuji/Sony/Panasonic or whatever camera that does 4000 exposures, and explain why they can't possibly live without at least 3800.
But does that exist? Right now, I'm only finding documentation for cameras that can do 9 or 10 shots. This article on multi-exposure from 2013 states that "On consumer DSLRs you can only combine three images, but on the pro models you can combine up to ten." It's possible that, on this particular metric, the K-3 is two orders of magnitude better than anything else out there! I would have thought that by now - the K-3 is a year old! - others probably would have noticed and added sophisticated multi-exposure to their feature checklist, but maybe not. I tried to look at the manual for the D750, but it doesn't state how many frames can be combined. I did notice that it states that "Multiple exposures can not be recorded in live view", and I'd be surprised if the K-3 had that limitation. I believe the Fuji XT-1 maxes out at TWO shots - 1,998 less than the K-3! The Olympus E-M1 may also only combine two, if I undertsand its manual correctly, but one of those can be a previous shot, so you can manually do more than two by repeating the process and adding one frame at a time to your previous shot, which was itself the result of combining two shots, and so on. Must be pretty painful. The Panasonic GH4 - again, if understand its manual correctly - can overlay four frames, but one of those can be a previously taken shot, so you can repeat the process to do a more-than-four-shot multi-exposure. Again, very painful. I also doubt any of those cameras will resume the multi-exposure process if the camera is turned off and back on, as is claimed the K-3 does up-thread....

EDIT: Canon 7D Mark II Multiple Exposure does 2-9 shots (source).

Last edited by Doundounba; 10-30-2014 at 02:13 PM.
10-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Yet another reason the K-3 has a 200k shutter rating great work on documenting this feature, thanks!