Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Well, relax everyone, it appears I got the bad one.

If you read the saga of "Mighty Mike" on the other forum, I appear to have received a K-3 with the exact same issue. If you're not familiar, it is front-focusing with virtually all my lenses, both Pentax and Sigma. On top of that, the fine focus adjustments do not reliably fix the issue, and the type of lighting does not appear to make a difference. Just when I think I've got a handle on the amount of adjustment needed and take another shot to confirm, it'll be off again. Yes, I have it tripod-mounted for the tests. My K-5IIs needs no adjustment with any lens, and my K-5 had only a minimal adjustment or two, the need for which was eliminated after one of the firmware updates, so there is definitely an issue.

I am encouraged by a number of reports on both forums of folks needing no adjustments, so I'm sure this is not a widespread problem, and though I am usually very lucky with this sort of thing, my luck had to run out at some point.

I just received it last night and it has been a frustrating day, but I've got it boxed back up and have requested an RMA from B&H for an exchange. I may be waiting awhile. Kinda puts a damper on all the excitement build-up over the last several weeks, but I'm sure it will eventually be taken care of and I can get on with enjoying the camera that I was otherwise really liking.

11-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, thanks for taking one for the team. While we're all grateful to you, I imagine those of us waiting are wondering if this is a feature, and not a bug (with all due respect to Microsoft).
11-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think at worst, it's just a very small percentage of units that may have the issue. It'll be pretty obvious pretty quick if yours is affected, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. The odds are in your favor.
11-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, I got my replacement K-3 today (finally, B&H took 3 days to ship it after they got my first one back). Pretty aggravated at first, as the first lens I tried (Sigma 24-70) was off considerably and ended up needing a -10 adjustment. Still not sure it's perfect, I was running out of light. FA31 needed a +4, FA43 a -2, and they are both dead-on now. And I think that's about it. Everything else seemed pretty good. The DA*55 was the second one I tried and I was so relieved when it was dead-on with the very first shot, and each subsequent shot. I knew then that I at least had a body I could work with.

Still a little miffed that any of my lenses needed adjustment, I guess I'm just spoiled by my previous bodies that didn't. But at least we have that ability. I'd be pretty pissed if I couldn't use those lenses. Still, though, really hoping this gets addressed with one of the first firmware updates. I know that happened with an earlier body, so I'm not all that concerned at this point.

Now to get down to installing my s-screen and enjoying Pentax's new beauty (and beast!).