Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #1

Auto WB issue?

Hello!

When I use the auto WB, result greatly change for the same scene with same setting... I'll try posting a sample... but it's very unpleasant even if I shoot RAW I can fix it in LR. I never had this problem with the K-5.
Anybody notice the same problem?

11-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Black_Wizards Quote
Hello!

When I use the auto WB, result greatly change for the same scene with same setting... I'll try posting a sample... but it's very unpleasant even if I shoot RAW I can fix it in LR. I never had this problem with the K-5.
Anybody notice the same problem?
Not sure I'd call it a problem- from what I'm seeing so far, the K-3 does a much better job of getting the WB right than the K-5. Please do post some samples though, as it really depends on what you're shooting and how you're developing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-06-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It may be the K-3's new mutliple-WB-in-the-same-shot feature inherited from the Ricoh cameras (i can't remember what it's called). There's probably a way to change it to plain old 1-color temp-per-shot white balance mode in the custom menu, one would certainly hope. Personally, I never use AWB, hate it, but I would be interested to know if you are able to resolve this problem, please keep us updated if you find a solution.
11-06-2013, 04:37 AM   #4

Original Poster
I shot DNG+JPG. The WB on the JPG for those 2 files IS correct. The WB for the DNG looks weird.

Here are some Jpg conversion of the ORIGINAL DNG files without any modifications (only DNG to JPG).

Here is the ORIGINAL JPG for the 2 files above:

11-06-2013, 04:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

On p-54 of the K-3 manual, multi-Auto White Balance appears to be a selectable option in the White Balance menu. Just turn it off and choose regular AWB, see what happens.
11-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Here are some Jpg conversion of the ORIGINAL DNG files without any modifications
How were you processing the DNG? The JPG out-of-camera would inherit the camera settings, the DNG may inherit the settings and 'personality' of your RAW processor. Further, your DNG processor may not know about the new AWB options in the K-3, and how to handle them.
11-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #7

Original Poster
I use Lightroom 4 and Picassa. I have the same result in opening DNG files with the 2 softwares.

I'll try the regular AWB... and make some other sample

11-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I use Lightroom 4 and Picassa
Why don't you use the software (Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5) that came with the camera to see if it does a better job?

RAW processors like Lightroom or Picasa may still need to catch up with some of the special features of the K-3.
11-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #9

Original Poster
Ok. I just compare DNG of the K-3 screen and the same DNG on LR and I thinf you're right... The image looks great on the K-3 screen but weird/green on LR... I'll wait for an LR update... :-(

I don't use Pentax soft because I try to get the less processing for my pics. Only LR and DxO Optics Pro :-). But i'll give it a try this time. :-)
11-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok. I just compare DNG of the K-3 screen and the same DNG on LR and I thinf you're right... The image looks great on the K-3 screen but weird/green on LR... I'll wait for an LR update... :-(

I don't use Pentax soft because I try to get the less processing for my pics. Only LR and DxO Optics Pro :-). But i'll give it a try this time. :-)
It may look great on the K-3 screen because I think it's displaying the embedded JPEG image.
11-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Different experience from OP

Im finding that the WB is so spot on I'm not making any adjustments in LR5 where I did on a picture to picture basis with my K-7
11-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
switch zone auto wb to auto wb
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241567-wb-issue-lr-5-k-3-dng.html#post2565717
11-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #13

Original Poster
Another exemple this time with DNG only and Digital Utility Camera:

I took a pic in DNG using AWB and pen it with Digital Utility Camera. Here it is. And it looks the same on the screen of my K-3.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now I switch WB using Silkypix AWB Absolute setting. Here is the result:

[IMG][/IMG]

What do you think?
11-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #14

Another exemple this time with DNG only and Digital Utility Camera:

I took a pic in DNG using AWB and pen it with Digital Utility Camera. Here it is. And it looks the same on the screen of my K-3.

[/URL][/IMG]

Now I switch WB using Silkypix AWB Absolute setting. Here is the result:

[/URL][/IMG]

What do you think?
I meet the same issue, just SILKPIX AWB Absolute look better and close a bit to the LCD JPG view...
11-11-2013, 03:54 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mactrash Quote
I meet the same issue, just SILKPIX AWB Absolute look better and close a bit to the LCD JPG view...
Exactly!

It's true there is less problem using AWB rather than MultiWB but it's not perfect yet... Maybe with the next firmware... I shoot raw so I can get rid of it easily but it's one more step in my post-processing...