Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I think when Ricoh's logo starts "touching you there", you should start "feeling uncomfortable" .

Until then, who cares? K-mount and Pentax heritage lives on and you know the camera in your hands IS a Pentax.
Ricoh's logo is just there reminding people that Pentax name after all these years is finally back in the game with a good strong support from a well founded company.

Ricoh owns the name and company Pentax. Is up to them to use the name as they see fit. So far I think they show the right respect. The sooner you accept that the happier you will feel .

11-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't find a single picture of a new HD lens with a Ricoh logo. Every image I could find said "Pentax". As for the box, who carries the box around with them? The K-3 does have "Ricoh" on the back, but as several have said, at least they are willing to put their own name on the product.

Pentax as a separate entity ceased to exist in 2007, when Hoya bought the company for the medical imaging division. We can pretend it didn't happen, we can cry over the grave, but it it's a fact. It happened. Pentax died - six years ago. Ricoh bought a camera division that Hoya didn't want, and is putting time, money, and effort into it. I wouldn't deny them a little bit of ink with their name on it.
11-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

honestly i don't even notice it
11-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax user Quote
I don't have a k3 yet but the box and the new hd coating lenses have a big ricoh then a small pentax logo. Makes me uncomfortable. I know it doens't affect the performance. I am sure konica minolta fan didn't the sony logo back then.

don't know should this thread in pentax k3 section or accessory section.
Take some Tums and get over it. It's a Ricoh system and I think it's great that Ricoh is on the back.

Also my HD 15mm does say Pentax on the lens not Ricoh.

11-07-2013, 08:45 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stiop stirring up needless FUD. We've been over this 100 times already.

what is pentax end up like konica minolta, no more pentax just ricoh everything, ricoh k mount and pentax is just some water pump company
no one cares?
Oh Please. Just Stop. 67 Posts, including this one.

If you would read the Forum once in a while you would know that Konica Minolta did not sell the rights to their name when they sold the camera division to Sony. Konica Minolta still exists. It makes copiers and other office equipment under that name. Sony didn't discard the Konica Minolta name - it was forced by Konica Minolta to use Sony as a brand for their cameras.

Ricoh bought Pentax and the rights to use the Pentax name on cameras and related optical equipment. Pentax is also used on eyeglass lenses and Medical devices owned by other companies. Ricoh does not compete with these companies, so everyone is comfortable with the arrangement.
11-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

don't know should this thread in pentax k3 section or accessory section.
Neither - should be in the "really silly comment section"
11-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh Please. Just Stop. 67 Posts, including this one.

If you would read the Forum once in a while you would know that Konica Minolta did not sell the rights to their name when they sold the camera division to Sony. Konica Minolta still exists. It makes copiers and other office equipment under that name. Sony didn't discard the Konica Minolta name - it was forced by Konica Minolta to use Sony as a brand for their cameras.

Ricoh bought Pentax and the rights to use the Pentax name on cameras and related optical equipment. Pentax is also used on eyeglass lenses and Medical devices owned by other companies. Ricoh does not compete with these companies, so everyone is comfortable with the arrangement.
but sony is not making any photocopier so it's not a competition to konica minolta

11-07-2013, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
boriscleto'd ®
11-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Not only would I not deface the camera, I wouldn't buy one used that someone had done so. What other crap did they do to the camera, would be my concern.

When I was in high school, there were a lot of people *obsessed* with what logo was on someone else's jeans or shirt. It wasn't about quality or fit or appearance, it was merely about having a "cool" brand. I suppose it still goes on, but I don't pay any attention.

I don't care about what everyone else thinks of my camera brand. If I did, I'd have a Canon or a Nikon I guess, and if horror of horrors I owned an uncool Pentax, the only person likely to see the small "RICOH" on the back is me. When you point the camera at someone, it says (in a much larger and bolder font) PENTAX.
11-07-2013, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

what is pentax end up like konica minolta, no more pentax just ricoh everything, ricoh k mount and pentax is just some water pump company
no one cares?
I don't.

Frankly, having been a Pentax user since the mid 80s, I feel let down.

They were slow into digital, and they've been playing catchup, and not very fast, at that, ever since istD days.

We've had slow AF, a shockingly and in fact laughably poor lens line-up, broken stop-down metering, bounce-flash exposure problems, wonky electronic levels, sensor stains, lens-release buttons falling off, shitty door quality on the AF360 ... the list goes on....

... all mixed up with superb ergonomics and a few excellent innovations that keep us hanging on. It wasn't till the K-5 that things finally started to come right.

A prime case of "almost but not quite", year after year.

There is now, finally, a glimmer of hope on the horizon, new lenses, and a decent range of bodies including a top of the range APS-C camera that doesn't have embarrassing AF. And maybe full frame round the corner, not that I care about that.

Provided Ricoh keeps the K mount, and the design philosophy, brings out some more long fast lenses and most importantly doesn't take its foot off the gas pedal with the investment and innovation, I really think the Pentax brand name deserves everything it gets.

Last edited by ChrisA; 11-07-2013 at 09:46 AM.
11-07-2013, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
boriscleto'd ®
Ditto.

Yes, Miss Crabapple.

I will not be Mod bait.
I will not be Mod bait.
I will not be Mod bait.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-07-2013 at 09:46 AM.
11-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

but sony is not making any photocopier so it's not a competition to konica minolta
Really? Begone.
11-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ditto.

Yes, Miss Crabapple.

I will not be Mod bait.
I will not be Mod bait.
I will not be Mod bait.
You've got to hold on! It hasn't turned into a FF thread - yet...
11-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It doesn't matter if they are competition or not - Konica Minolta did not transfer rights to the name to Sony when they sold the camera division. Sony can't just decide to put "Minolta" on their cameras, because Konica Minolta had that right, and they reserved that right.

Hoya sold, licensed, or transferred the "Pentax" name to Ricoh for cameras and sporting optics, to Asahi for surveying equipment, to Seiko for some of their products, and kept it to themselves for Medical imaging. If Asahi Optical Company had had any trademark rights to water pumps, Hoya would have sold them to that Italian water pump company by now.
11-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yer Out!

Me too.
borisceleto'd.
This thread makes me uncomfortable.
Ron