Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2013, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 review - The Phoblographer

This may be old news, but Chris Gampat of the Phoblographer test ran the K-3 back in July and reported his experience as a Nikonian with the K-3 paired with a 43 Ltd.
He basically says he likes it but was partial with regards to the ergonomics and UI (simply because he's so used to Nikon dSLRs).
First Impressions: Pentax K3 - The Phoblographer

11-08-2013, 04:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks!

Thanks for posting, Ash. You're right, he doesn't give the camera much of a workout, but (rightly) points out the sturdy build, WR and improved AF points, selectable AA and image quality. The sample photos tell the story best!
Ron
11-08-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
The sample photos tell the story best!
Ron
Quite noisy for only ISO 400
11-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #4

Thanks for finding that one....but surely it's November 7th, not July 11th that he posted the review - being as it is an American blog and they say the date the wrong way round

11-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This may be old news, but Chris Gampat of the Phoblographer test ran the K-3 back in July and reported his experience as a Nikonian with the K-3 paired with a 43 Ltd.
He basically says he likes it but was partial with regards to the ergonomics and UI (simply because he's so used to Nikon dSLRs).
First Impressions: Pentax K3 - The Phoblographer
Chris Gampat of the Phoblographer here. I'd like to offer some corrections here.

Back in July we did not test run the K3 because the K3 was announced in October: Pentax's K-3 Gets Announced; Comes in Black and Silver - The Phoblographer

Additionally, in no place in our post (First Impressions: Pentax K3 - The Phoblographer) do we state that this is our review of the camera. This is evident in many places where we state,

"We’ve been spending a bit of time with the camera so far, and we have to say that it has a lot going for it, but there are some things that are irking us a bit."

"So far we’re really liking the images that we can get from the Pentax K3."

"We’re going to have to do a lot more tests with the autofocus, high ISO image quality, and ease of use in the field to ensure that can give it a proper run through."

A first impressions post has to do with getting quite literally, our first impressions. This is not a review and our posts are clearly labelled a review.

Thanks for reading.
11-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chrisgampat Quote
Additionally, in no place in our post (First Impressions: Pentax K3 - The Phoblographer) do we state that this is our review of the camera. This is evident in many places where we state,
This is not a review and our posts are clearly labelled a review.
Just out of curiosity, could you explain what the difference is between a "review" and handling/using something and then publishing your opinion, thoughts, and observations.
11-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
.Just out of curiosity, could you explain what the difference is between a "review" and handling and using something and then publishing your opinion, thoughts, and observations.
I sure can.

A first impressions post is designed to give a short preview of what we think after we've been using the camera, light, lens or anything else for a little bit of time. So how does this change over time you say?

- Our full reviews have a full list of pros and cons

- Our feelings on the ergonomics may change after we use the item for a long time

- Build quality and what happens to the item changes as time goes on in the review. For example, we plan on running the camera and a weather sealed lens under water to show off how tough it is. We didn't do that in the first impressions post.

- Autofocus performance isn't fully tested in real life situations, and we want to test the focusing in a variety of ways that we haven't done yet for the full review.

- Our image quality analysis of cameras goes deeper into the raw file versatility, high iso performance, and more.

- We also offer significantly more image samples in various different situations.

- Lastly we sum up our findings and recommend items for the unit being reviewed.

I really hope this helps.

11-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I really hope this helps.
Not really. The OP called what you did a review, which by common definition, it is.
QuoteQuote:
1re·view noun \ri-ˈvyü\
: an act of carefully looking at or examining the quality or condition of something or someone : examination or inspection

: a report that gives someone's opinion about the quality of a book, performance, product, etc.

: a magazine filled mostly with reviews and articles that describe the writer's thoughts or opinions about a subject
QuoteQuote:
"We’ve been spending a bit of time with the camera so far, and we have to say that it has a lot going for it, but there are some things that are irking us a bit"
"So far we’re really liking the images that we can get from the Pentax K3."
Opinion
QuoteQuote:
The front of the camera isn’t exactly devoid of controls either. Along the left side is where you’ll find an AF/MF switch, AF mode selector, raw/JPEG, PC port, and pop up flash. Plus this is also where a couple of the ports are for connectivity.
Facts discerned as the result of an examination or inspection.
QuoteQuote:
Autofocus performance isn't fully tested in real life situations, and we want to test the focusing in a variety of ways that we haven't done yet for the full review.[/HL]
"Full" review. Clarifying or emphasizing that this is a less than full review.

I don't mean to in any was disparage you, or your writings, which are well done and insightful, but frankly I'm confused by you having apparently joined just to argue semantics about the use of a single word. The issue of the July date had already been addressed prior to your post.

Last edited by Parallax; 11-08-2013 at 02:44 PM.
11-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for jumping in, Chris, and also for the article in question. I for one took your article as a first impressions review only.

Jack
11-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
............... I for one took your article as a first impressions review only.

Jack
As did I. A first impressions review.
11-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #11

Thanks for your inquiry folks. But the reason why I jumped into this one is because some folks think that we posted a full review. It's happened before specifically coming from this site. And therefore people then think that we haven't gone into our full in-depth review.

To clear the confusion, I need to come in the fix the error...semantics or not. Think of it from a business standpoint.
11-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

To clear the confusion, I need to come in the fix the error...semantics or not. Think of it from a business standpoint.
Fair enough. That certainly seems reasonable and we look forward to the review.
11-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Fair enough. That certainly seems reasonable and we look forward to the review.
I appreciate it kindly. If i may, this is how I shot the product images for the post. The gear can be applied to anything, including Pentax. Useful Photography Tip #72: Mimic the Look of Window Light By Bouncing a Flash at a Window Shade - The Phoblographer

I'll be testing the K-3 with studio lights actually. Pentax is sending two more lenses over to me to test with the K-3.
11-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I appreciate it kindly. If i may, this is how I shot the product images for the post. The gear can be applied to anything, including Pentax. Useful Photography Tip #72: Mimic the Look of Window Light By Bouncing a Flash at a Window Shade - The Phoblographer
That is inspired and inspirational flashwork! I can't count the number of times I've wanted to get that look during the long, dark, grey winters of Ontario.
11-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good work Chris, and I appreciate it is not an extensive review, but more a personal account of the K-3. I didn't consider the semantics crucial to getting the message across that someone from the blog had published some interesting findings on their experience with the K-3.

Anyway, thanks for it and look forward to your input after receiving the lenses from Pentax.