Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Three things I do not like...

My K3 just arrived.
Here are three things I do not like:
The "info" showing on the monitor all the time is irritating. (Can I disable that feature?)
I think that the "continuous" mode can only be opted for by altering settings. I used to be able to do this with the flip of a switch. Old way was convenient for bird shooting. New way is a pain in the arse, time consuming process during which the flying birds will have flown way out of renge. Am I missing something?
Worst of all--I went to download the first few images I took. I tried to plug the cable I have used on most of my prior Pentax cameras in to the K3 . It would not fit. I went through the packaging looking for the cable. Not there. I went through my trash can. Not there. I went to the manual--apparently the cable is not supplied. Am I missing something? Recommend a source?
Any input would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Jack

11-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #2

K-3 has micro USB 3.0 port. You can use both micro USB 2 and USB 3 cable. Most of the recent cellphones have micro USB 2.0.
11-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Like all new things, change makes folks anxious.
Read the manual, as a good first step.

The new way to go to AF.C and back is actually easier or at least as easy as it was before.

Push the AF button, and roll the front control wheel to change the AF mode.

Easy peasy.

To disable the info on the LCD, just hit the info button twice, and select no screen.

The cable is a standard USB 3.0 cable A to Micro B, they are everywhere.
Tiger Direct and Amazon have them for less than $10.
Yes, it was a cheap move to leave one out, but I suppose if they left an HDMI cable out too, that might have been their justification.

I guess they were more concerned with putting Ricoh on the back of the camera.
11-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
My K3 just arrived.
Here are three things I do not like:
The "info" showing on the monitor all the time is irritating. (Can I disable that feature?)
I think that the "continuous" mode can only be opted for by altering settings. I used to be able to do this with the flip of a switch. Old way was convenient for bird shooting. New way is a pain in the arse, time consuming process during which the flying birds will have flown way out of renge. Am I missing something?
Worst of all--I went to download the first few images I took. I tried to plug the cable I have used on most of my prior Pentax cameras in to the K3 . It would not fit. I went through the packaging looking for the cable. Not there. I went through my trash can. Not there. I went to the manual--apparently the cable is not supplied. Am I missing something? Recommend a source?
Any input would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Jack
I also miss the speedy handling of the K5II It took a while before i figured out how to disable the screen! However unlike all of my previous Pentax DSLR`s when the screen is switched off there is no info on startup. Usually the Mode setting would appear for a second or so on start up or wake up. now the only way is by reading the dial (not much use in the dark!) or to turn the mode dial back and forth. I find the change of AF mode a bit of a pain too but i am going to give the AFA a chance to prove itself before i cast judgment!
It would be a lot quicker just to hit the Info button to scroll through the different displays like the K5II rather than mess about with the info + L/R buttons!

11-08-2013, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I use a SD Card reader that way I don't have to have the camera tethered to the computer draining power just to access and view images. Can't remember the last time I used a cable to access images of a camera. Probably back in the *ist days.
11-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you need to go back and forth from continuous shooting, just leave it on continuous. If you press the shutter button briefly, it will take only one shot.
I agree. Its total BS and the download cable is not there. I guess they think its up to you to decide to use the cable or wi-fi SD card but they should have the basic necessities!
11-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Yes, it was a cheap move to leave one out, but I suppose if they left an HDMI cable out too, that might have been their justification.
With the standardization of cables the last few years I think we will see less supplied cables all the time. Personally I would rather have just a few really good cables over a box full of the cheap junk usually supplied with new stuff. Cell phones in particular used to make me so mad, every one a different cable and usually so cheap they broke and you had to buy another one. Now I have really good USB cables that fit just about anything. I also read a post here from a European member that the EU was frowning on supplying cables that were standard as part of a 'green' initiative. No idea if that is true or not, just read it on the internet

11-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Of course if they included a USB3 cable it would do me no good on my old computer, and a USB2 cable makes the port look silly on the camera. Ricoh couldn't win on this unless they threw in two cables, which wouldn't hurt on a $1200+ device. USB3 is still a new thing.
11-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

USB ports are the new world standard...

Saw an article in the Economist magazine about the new worldwide standardization around the USB DC powered port. An engineer from Intel got tired of the hundreds of different cables being used by all electronic mfr and designed the USB port to do the job for everyone. Goes beyond just devices. In countries and areas where there is a lack of high AC voltage infrastructure, communities and apartment buildings can now install their own DC network of solar panels and USB ports for those living within that network. In case of power outages, one is more likely to find a source of usb power than anything else still operating.

The existing USB port is designed as a low wattage source of power, but work is now underway to extend that power rating up to 100 watts - thats probably enough for a K3

Just shows that Ricoh/Pentax is up on their standards!
11-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wait, the K-3 has a MICRO usb port? Bravo Ricoh!

Explanation why this is amazing: this means you can have at maximum two cables for most (all in the future) devices: an USB A (what you plug into your PC) to MicroUSB cable, and a backup.
We already have 4 of these (arrived with two phones, a tablet and an e-reader). For anybody with a modern device, this camera is essentially plug-and-play for image transfer.
11-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
If you need to go back and forth from continuous shooting, just leave it on continuous. If you press the shutter button briefly, it will take only one shot.
I agree. Its total BS and the download cable is not there. I guess they think its up to you to decide to use the cable or wi-fi SD card but they should have the basic necessities!
If you use the SR you need to half-press the shutter for a bit to get it warmed up.
What I do is disable the half-press AF altogether, which you can now do in one menu screen on the K-3. Then the AF-C mode focuses only as long as you keep the AF button pressed.
11-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Yes, by pressing Info and selecting no screen.

It's micro-USB, the most standard USB cable on the planet. The previous Pentax cameras used another format, now they moved to a standard. Good idea.
11-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
If you use the SR you need to half-press the shutter for a bit to get it warmed up.
What I do is disable the half-press AF altogether, which you can now do in one menu screen on the K-3. Then the AF-C mode focuses only as long as you keep the AF button pressed.
That's an interesting idea. So you hold down the AF button with your thumb while depressing shutter release and it will keep tracking focus? If the object becomes stationary and your have focus just release thumb and you don't have to worry about micro adjustments?

Does that work on a tripod too? IE, could I maintain AF-C mode and just use the AF button once before using remote trigger?

That would even save having to flip the AF switch as I change from landscape to wildlife. All I'd have to worry about is getting my big lens out of my bag that somehow is now out of easy reach, swapping rear caps, putting the landscape lens in my bag without it rolling down a hill, lining up the damn dots on the lens and camera body, removing the front lens cap, changing from M to TAv and adjusting shutter and aperture before the critter gets away.
11-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #14

After giving it a little thought i believe that if they made it so that pressing the AF button would bring up the AF adjustment panel regardless of which info screen setting was in use (including off) then i would be content!
11-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
That's an interesting idea. So you hold down the AF button with your thumb while depressing shutter release and it will keep tracking focus? If the object becomes stationary and your have focus just release thumb and you don't have to worry about micro adjustments?
Yes, exactly. Puts AF control right under your thumb, and unburdens your finger.

QuoteQuote:
Does that work on a tripod too? IE, could I maintain AF-C mode and just use the AF button once before using remote trigger?
Yes. And if you use the new wireless remote, it has a separate focus button for you to do that away from the camera.
QuoteQuote:
That would even save having to flip the AF switch as I change from landscape to wildlife. All I'd have to worry about is getting my big lens out of my bag that somehow is now out of easy reach, swapping rear caps, putting the landscape lens in my bag without it rolling down a hill, lining up the damn dots on the lens and camera body, removing the front lens cap, changing from M to TAv and adjusting shutter and aperture before the critter gets away.
Yes. Give it try. I'd bet you won't go back to having AF on the shutter button again!
It's well suited for Pentax's quick-shift manual focus feature, too. You can make a slight manual adjustment, and not have to worry about the shutter button messing it up on you.