Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2013, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frankoz Quote
As with Raider, I've received it with the Silver K3 and have been trying it out. I also have an EyeFi Pro and while both are little buggy, the FluCard doesn't have the same IQ.
What do you mean "the FluCard doesn't have the same IQ"? The type of SD card or wifi transfer shouldn't affect IQ.

11-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gordo Quote
What do you mean "the FluCard doesn't have the same IQ"? The type of SD card or wifi transfer shouldn't affect IQ.
Hi Gordo,

I guess what I was trying to convey was that while each achieves the same outcome, the EyeFi process is more intuitive and the process more automated.

I use an EyeFi Pro in my Ricoh GR. While setup had its challenges; EyeFi now runs as a "start up" item in Windows 7 and all I need to do is have the camera on and be in range of my PC and the image files will transfer automatically. You are made aware of the transfer by way of an icon on the camera LCD and pop-up thumbnails on the taskbar.

In contrast, the FluCard has to be activated by accessing a menu image via the review panel and deleting it, which is oddly starts the card's wifi. Then you need go to the PC and have it point away from your home network to the FluCard (you also have to reverse this when finished). Lastly, you need to activate the desktop app to commence downloads. There is nothing on the K3 to indicate a transfer is taking place, and only a text line showing image nos. change as they upload. It also just dumps the images into a chosen folder, while EyeFi creates relevant date folders. This same process is repeated if you want to upload to an iPhone or Android device.

Granted, I'm still getting used to the FluCard, and it does have other options such as Server Upload which may simplify the process. Documentation is scant however, and I haven't had the time to investigate.

One fault common to both cards is that your camera must be on for the photos to transfer, which depending on how busy you've been, can take a while, with the resulting battery drain. As a solution to downloading your images, I think it is great if you want to seize the moment and quickly Facebook or Instagram a photo or two, but after a day of shooting, I don't think you can beat just plugging the SD card into the PC.

Anyway, with the FluCard's heat problem; and it is significant (not just warm - nearly too hot to hold), I'm not sure its going to have a home in my K3. I'll see what CR Kennedy think tomorrow.

rgds
FrankOz

Last edited by frankoz; 11-16-2013 at 05:26 PM.
11-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
Forum Member

Thanks FrankOz, that makes sense. I was a beta tester for the EyeFi Pro so I understand its limitations, especially when used with a camera that doesn't have specific EyeFi integration. Like you say, transferring the occasional file is convenient, but uploading a few hundred raw files after a day of shooting is something you really don't want to do over WiFi. So the FluCard integration isn't advanced as EyeFi. No real surprise. Maybe there will be some improvement with the Pentax-specific FluCard if a K-3 firmware update comes with it.

My main use for the Pentax FluCard would be for remote LV and shutter when the camera is in an inconvenient position. The heat problem is troublesome, and I would hold off buying it until I know that it works reliably without overheating.
11-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any chance the heat is somehow connected to the K3 looking for the tethering functions?

11-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Any chance the heat is somehow connected to the K3 looking for the tethering functions?
Nope - tethering function is probably activated through the wireless card menu which doesn't work with the standard FLUcard. The camera wouldn't look for something that it doesn't believe is there.
11-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Nope - tethering function is probably activated through the wireless card menu which doesn't work with the standard FLUcard. The camera wouldn't look for something that it doesn't believe is there.
Isn't the camera looking for something in the card in order to activate the menu?
11-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Transcend Wifi card which is always very hot when I remove it from the camera. It is occasionally unnerving to have my phone inform me that there is a Wifi spot available when I am miles from the nearest building. Has anyone checked to see if the heat from the flu card is any different from the Transcend etal. ?

11-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #23
Pentaxian

From the Flucard FAQ on their site:

Question:Why does the FLUCARDŽ become warm after usage?
Answer:This is the inherent problem of WIFI but it will not result in overheating and cause damages to your camera.

One hopes.
11-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Isn't the camera looking for something in the card in order to activate the menu?
Only if you attempt to activate the menu, hence why it returns a "cannot be found" type message when you do.

11-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Answer:This is the inherent problem of WIFI
I suspect they are right. It's a RF transmitter, with no ventilation, perhaps using maximum output and sensitivity to get signals in and out of a metal camera box.

I wonder what it's output power and energy use is, and whether this is any different from a EyeFi card.
11-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My Eye-fi card does not get heated up like the flucard does.....same Wifi technology. Not sure why the flucard behaves so differently.
11-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Not sure why the flucard behaves so differently.
I haven't been able to find any data on the power consumption or RF output power of either the Flucard or an EyeFi card. Maybe there is some difference there that could account for why one gets warmer than the other.

It could also be a card firmware issue - eg the Flucard may stay powered on longer than the EyeFi, due to differences in WiFi timeout settings etc, or maybe the EyeFi has more aggressive power saving settings? All very mysterious.
11-21-2013, 05:03 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Only if you attempt to activate the menu, hence why it returns a "cannot be found" type message when you do.
Can anyone help me to get the flucard to work in my K3? According to the menu there is no wireless card in slot 2. Yet the flucard is clearly trying to do something coz it is hot when I take it out and stare at it wondering why, oh why did CRK send me this instead of a decent high speed sd card?
11-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #29
Forum Member

This will sound trite, but do read the little instruction brochure that comes with the card. You start to access the card by pressing the "Play" button to view images. You'll see some blue coloured "images" appear, which are the portal to operating the card. Essentially, you press "Delete" when one of the blue images is displayed, which initiates the wireless connection and then you associate your phone or tablet or whatever with the Flucard in a non-secured connection. Once wirelessly connected, you enter the provided IP address into a browser, and then you go into an interface from which you can view and transfer images.
11-21-2013, 05:40 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,

Further to my earlier message CR Kennedy have advised today that Trek acknowledged a problem with an initial production run of the card.

Kennedy's have not been able to establish if the stock they have delivered so far include that run.

Accordingly I've been told to return my FluCard and they will then decide whether to replace with another FluCard, and EyeFi or perhaps the Pentax Tethered FluCard.

If you are experiencing similar problems, you are encouraged to contact Kennedy's and seek support.

Rgds