Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #1

K-3 Build Quality

Greetings,

I'm anxious to upgrade to the new K-3 and would like make the purchase in about a month. I currently have a K10D and K-5 and am quite happy with the overall quality of the cameras as far as how well constructed they are and how durable they feel. I'm hope the K-3 hasn't been cheapened in any way to make it feel less than 'professional grade' if you know what I mean.

I remember looking at Canon's price equivalent camera when I bought my K10D in 2008 and distinctly remember how flimsy it felt. Not that ruggedness is the ultimate decision factor for a camera but to me having something that feels well built helps with a level of confidence.

So...is the quality of the K-3 still there?

Thanx...Blake

11-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
The quality of the K3 is still there and then some, awesome camera build wise and when I use it the results (af/ picture quality) makes me want to use the old K10 & K7 as paper weights.
11-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
Greetings,

I'm anxious to upgrade to the new K-3 and would like make the purchase in about a month. I currently have a K10D and K-5 and am quite happy with the overall quality of the cameras as far as how well constructed they are and how durable they feel. I'm hope the K-3 hasn't been cheapened in any way to make it feel less than 'professional grade' if you know what I mean.

I remember looking at Canon's price equivalent camera when I bought my K10D in 2008 and distinctly remember how flimsy it felt. Not that ruggedness is the ultimate decision factor for a camera but to me having something that feels well built helps with a level of confidence.

So...is the quality of the K-3 still there?

Thanx...Blake
It feels just as good as the K-5, but on top of that you get a quieter (& faster) shutter and a larger screen. The new screen is to die for IMO- not necessarily because of its size, but because it's 3:2, so there are no more black bars in live view or in playback mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never had k10d but compared to k-5, I give k-3 a 10 and k-5 an 8. K-3 feels solid, everything tight, fit & finish just superb, shutter sound is exquisite. A bit heavier, and still a quarter inch too short for my little finger to fit on the grip, but quality? Just awesome.

11-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't know how they did it, but they managed to make the K-3 feel even more solid than the K-5.
11-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I feels better than my K-5 and K-5 IIs.

Why? I think the bit of extra weight helps, but the control wheels have a little bit more resistance, which feels more precise and helps me avoid accidental changes. The three switches also have a better feel to them. The pop-up flash also flips into place with a slightly dampened thunk rather than a click.
11-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Agreed, and that shutter....I mean seriously, it's the sexiest sounding shutter I've ever heard. Many pros shooting with much more expensive gear would kill for a shutter sound like that.

11-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Just shot NCAA Division 1 basketball with the K-3 and the Tamron 70-200 f2.8. AF definitely felt snappy, the shutter sound and speed are awesome, and the shutter button has really good feedback. It doesn't mush like on the k-5. I just wish the grip was shipping from B&H.
11-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bgdisc Quote
I just wish the grip was shipping from B&H.
It is. Mine's supposed to be here Tuesday. I don't think they got very many in their first shipment though.
11-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

This might be an odd question but how sturdy is the eye-pad mounted?

The ones on my K-30's have been driving me mad. I've lost them 4 times. 2 times completely lost, 2 times collected and delivered by someone else, and it seems they just become loser over time. During the last wedding I did, the eye-pad kept slipping off over and over again - it was starting to get ridiculous so I used a piece of a napkin to gain a tighter fit - it has so far worked though there is a piece of the napkin sticking out. It doesn't look good and I'll replace it with thin strips of tape - still, I shouldn't have to worry about losing stuff from the camera like that :/
11-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
This might be an odd question but how sturdy is the eye-pad mounted?

The ones on my K-30's have been driving me mad. I've lost them 4 times. 2 times completely lost, 2 times collected and delivered by someone else, and it seems they just become loser over time. During the last wedding I did, the eye-pad kept slipping off over and over again - it was starting to get ridiculous so I used a piece of a napkin to gain a tighter fit - it has so far worked though there is a piece of the napkin sticking out. It doesn't look good and I'll replace it with thin strips of tape - still, I shouldn't have to worry about losing stuff from the camera like that :/
Wow, that's a new one on me. Mine have always been tight enough that it takes a concerted effort to get them off. I actually use Tenbas now, and they're even tighter.
11-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I don't know how they did it, but they managed to make the K-3 feel even more solid than the K-5.
For one, the K-3 is less plastic than the K-5.
The back panel on the K-5 is plastic. The back panel on the K-3 is magnesium.
11-09-2013, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I feels better than my K-5 and K-5 IIs.
Feeling yourself again Sandy or is that a Popeye impersonation?
11-09-2013, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Agreed, and that shutter....I mean seriously, it's the sexiest sounding shutter I've ever heard. Many pros shooting with much more expensive gear would kill for a shutter sound like that.
I wish you hadn't said that. On Monday I'm attending my Dad's funeral and I'm taking my D800e's to Melbourne with me, but I'd have much rather use my K-5 had I still the 50-135 zoom. The D800 shutter sounds like someone slamming a gate shut.
11-09-2013, 01:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
The back panel on the K-5 is plastic.
No. The whole K-5 chassis is metal. The only plastic at the back is the LCD and some of the body bits surrounding it, where there need to be switches etc. I bet the chassis of the K-3 closely resembles the K-5's.
Attached Images