Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AF Mode Button Placement

I was wondering if anybody else hates the AF mode button placement. I wish it was on the right back side because when I have a big lens on the camera its impossible to reach with my left hand while holding the lens

11-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hate is a strong word for a button
The AF button is on the right-back-side and right by the right hand thumb - seems very well positioned to me.
11-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I mean the button the switch AF modes, the AF button in a great spot.
11-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm thinking that I will have the various modes set up as user modes so I can switch between spot and extended area. Af.c is not painful like the k 5, and the af button is really easy to depress to disable af.

11-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great idea Derek, thanks..
11-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

There is another way to access all the af settings. The first info page shows whether AF.C/S/A is selected. Highlight and use the rear dial to change the setting. The focus point selection is similar. Much easier than holding the button, turning the dial and trying to decipher the icons.
11-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
I was wondering if anybody else hates the AF mode button placement. I wish it was on the right back side because when I have a big lens on the camera its impossible to reach with my left hand while holding the lens
I have a different problem with it. It is too close to the body of the camera, and doesn't protrude enough. This makes it harder to find, reliably press, and hold.

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I'm thinking that I will have the various modes set up as user modes so I can switch between spot and extended area. Af.c is not painful like the k 5, and the af button is really easy to depress to disable af.
Yes, but I wish there were more User Modes!

I use them for: "Normal" (everyday use, AF-S centre spot, etc); "Action" (AF-C & 9-point, but that may change, and maximum fps, etc); and "Studio" (AF-S centre spot, etc).

11-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
There is another way to access all the af settings. The first info page shows whether AF.C/S/A is selected. Highlight and use the rear dial to change the setting. The focus point selection is similar. Much easier than holding the button, turning the dial and trying to decipher the icons.
This is what I have been doing.

Last edited by dane.dawg; 11-11-2013 at 11:56 AM.
11-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that the designers have done a great job here. Since the AF/MF lever only has two positions, you can change from AF to MF and back without even looking - no fear of getting the wrong setting. And the AF button itself sits on its own concave plane, separate from the AF/MF lever and RAW/FX button above it. These subtle tactile cues make it dead simple to locate the button with your finger without looking, and the OVF display gives you the information that you need to change a setting - all without removing your eye from the OVF.

It's little stuff like this that shows me the thoroughness with which RICOH PENTAX designed this camera.