Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
lowering the image megapixels on the K-3

I was just wondering if there is an option on the K-3 to take shots at lower megapixels like there is on the K-30 and no doubt alot of other cameras.

Also if you did take a high ISO shot at eg. 16 megapixels would it contain less noise than the 24 megapixel shot or is that not how the technology would work.

11-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MADDSNIPER Quote
Also if you did take a high ISO shot at eg. 16 megapixels would it contain less noise than the 24 megapixel shot or is that not how the technology would work.
it's better to do this on a computer with a dedicat software like lightroom, photoshop, gimp, etc ...

Also, consider that when you have a 24 Mpx, when you print it in small size (less than the size of a sheet of paper), having more mpx will compensate more in the noise reduction.

Some techies will give you a more detailled anwser though.
11-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #3

You can take lower resolution images yes. But as With all(?) cameras only in Jpeg.
11-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
You can take lower resolution images yes. But as With all(?) cameras only in Jpeg.
there are some cameras which can take a reduced size RAW image I believe there were some canons that did this...Anyone care to chime in.

11-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
there are some cameras which can take a reduced size RAW image I believe there were some canons that did this...Anyone care to chime in.
7D can save 3 sizes of Raw file. (Raw, Medium Raw, Small Raw)
11-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

To answer your question more specifically, according to the manual, the K-3 can shoot at 24MP, 14MP, 6MP. and 2MP in jpeg. RAW is always at 24MP. There are also 3 levels of Jpeg compression, ***, **, and *, for each of the resolutions in jpeg.

Regarding shooting at lower resolution vs downsizing in PP, I would think that shooting at a lower resolution would be technically superior (and significantly faster) since downsizing in PP can use different interpolation algorithms (with different resulting quality) to combine pixels (thus essentially changing the image) as opposed to just recording fewer pixels -- i'm making an assumption here, but it's an educated guess

Scott
11-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am currently using my new camera at 14mp and an impressed by the low noise. I did not get the K -3 for the 24mp but for all the other improvements.

11-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #8

Original Poster
Is it possible someone could take a shot at ISO 1600 with the camera set to 14MP and then take a shot at 24MP and resize it to 14MP and upload them so we can compare noise levels?