Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Power on issues

Anybody having to keep powering on I am having troubles with it
When I power on it will not power and i have to flip the switch on and off a few times
I took the batteries out because I thought it might be static but that was not the case
Any comments ????
Just got it only a few days old and just started happening..

Last edited by aaalegre; 11-09-2013 at 04:51 PM.
11-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Batteries? Are you using the grip? If so, make sure that the battery in the body is also fully charged.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
fully charged brand new
took the grip off and batteries out and the re installed them..
11-09-2013, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
dbh
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Same thing here. Seems to only happen with the grip attached and with a battery in the grip.
Steps to reproduce:
battery in both body and grip
attach the grip
power off
wait
after a varying amount of time, but usually no more than 20minutes, it won't power on without pulling out both batteries
Thought it might be just me.
I smell a bug.
So far, leaving the grip attached but with a battery in the body only avoids the problem.

11-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
I have just started to switch the setting from auto to body don't know if that will work
I think you hit the nail on the head wit this statement hopefully there is a firmware upgrade for this I have the silver edition and i don't think I will be able to exchange it...
You are right about the 20 mi thing thats when I noticed it because of my testing of the system on and off with the camera sitting on a tripod trying to get the hang of it with the new menus and all of the good thing that come with it..
11-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The issue of accurate battery sensing and metering has, in one form or another, been a minor Pentax annoyance for ages. My K200D, K-x, K-5 - all have had their share of battery metering bugs too, whether it be AA's or D-LI90's.
11-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

How about battery in the grip only and setting the camera that way? If that setting results in a problem then I won't be able to use my grip when my replacement K-3 arrives next week. That would suck.

11-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
I never had this problem own a Pentax and upgraded since the k 1000
I say a firmware will take care of this
11-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
How about battery in the grip only and setting the camera that way? If that setting results in a problem then I won't be able to use my grip when my replacement K-3 arrives next week. That would suck.
I'm fairly sure that a battery in the grip will cause the problem, but I will try this configuration for you and report back here as soon as it either refuses to power on or a few hours go by with no problems...
11-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
I'm fairly sure that a battery in the grip will cause the problem, but I will try this configuration for you and report back here as soon as it either refuses to power on or a few hours go by with no problems...
That would be great. Thank you.
11-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
dbh
Inactive Account

OK I waited with a battery only in the grip for about 1/2 hr and it powered up without issue. Looks more and more like the problem has to do with the presence of two batteries, not the fact that one is in the grip. This is good news for a couple of reasons; it means my grip is actually ok and it also means I won't have to take it off to swap out the battery.

I hope this holds true for the OP as well and that it gets fixed in the next f/w update.
11-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Did you have the camera set to use the grip battery only or "auto"? Either way, this would appear to at least facilitate the way I use the grip, which is strictly for "the grip" and not as an extra battery compartment, but as the only battery compartment. I almost never have a battery in the body. Obviously want this to be fixed through firmware, though.
11-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Did you have the camera set to use the grip battery only or "auto"? Either way, this would appear to at least facilitate the way I use the grip, which is strictly for "the grip" and not as an extra battery compartment, but as the only battery compartment. I almost never have a battery in the body. Obviously want this to be fixed through firmware, though.
It had been set to "grip first". Still working fine this way, btw.
I use it as a 2-battery system for extended time between charges - that will have to wait for a fix.
11-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
It had been set to "grip first". Still working fine this way, btw.
I use it as a 2-battery system for extended time between charges - that will have to wait for a fix.
Thanks for checking.
11-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #15

Original Poster
I went from Grip first to Auto then to Body first and Body first seems to be the one for now until the fix.
I always went grip first and had the body as a backup ( bummer )