Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Hunt Quote
Can you clarify how you expect your K3 to operate with the standard Flu-card?

Paul
G'day Paul thanks for trying to help.

I guess I just expected the camera to detect it has a wireless card installed - flu, Toshiba, no-name, whatever- cause it has a menu option which says 'wireless memory card'. It does not say 'Pentax exclusive O-FC1 card'. Also in the playback mode, if one pushes the bottom button on the 4 way controller, there is an option which reads 'Transfers selected images from Eye-Fi Card'. Again, I thought they meant a generic card. Is this not so?

I was also under the impression that others were able to access their generic wireless card with a Flu logo on it and operate control which allowed them to use on/off/auto functions

I'm simply trying to figure out if this is a bug in my camera, a bug in the card, or the way it is supposed to work.

Eye-fi and Flu are not just different brands of card, they are different technology. In my understanding, the cards which the K3 will actually recognize are the Eye-fi and the O-FC1.
This may well be the explanation. I thought all wi fi cards were basically the same tech. So eye-fi and wi-fi are different huh?

It seems my confusion comes from actually reading the manual...lol

Last edited by wizofoz; 03-12-2014 at 11:58 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
03-13-2014, 03:23 AM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The cards are similar insofar as they both are SD Card format, and they communicate wirelessly by hardware conforming to the wi-fi standard (IEEE 802.11 or whatever it is). To that extent, they are basically the same technology.

Eye-fi and Flucard do also both offer broadly similar end-user functionality, but are otherwise quite different pieces of hardware. They are not simply different brands of "wi-fi card" - for that, I don't believe there is actually any standard.

I agree that the manual (at least the English translation) is not well worded in its description of the wireless function, and is open to misinterpretation. The whole manual, in my opinion, suffers from brevity to the point of parsimony.
03-13-2014, 05:53 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The cards are similar insofar as they both are SD Card format, and they communicate wirelessly by hardware conforming to the wi-fi standard (IEEE 802.11 or whatever it is). To that extent, they are basically the same technology.

Eye-fi and Flucard do also both offer broadly similar end-user functionality, but are otherwise quite different pieces of hardware. They are not simply different brands of "wi-fi card" - for that, I don't believe there is actually any standard.

I agree that the manual (at least the English translation) is not well worded in its description of the wireless function, and is open to misinterpretation. The whole manual, in my opinion, suffers from brevity to the point of parsimony.
parsimony ? don't understand you use

i.e brevity to the point of not miserliness ????
03-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #34
Forum Member

Parsimony: extreme unwillingness to spend money or use resources. "Resources", in this case, being words.

Apologies for being abstruse.

03-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Parsimony: extreme unwillingness to spend money or use resources. "Resources", in this case, being words.

Apologies for being abstruse.
Paper; screen pixels; toner; photons on retinas
03-13-2014, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info Paul. I'm pretty confident your explanation is correct. It seems this whole thread has become a tribute to my technological ignorance. Here was me thinking wi-fi = wi-fi. What a dolt!

I feel I need to apologise to VTerlakyPhoto as well, as he was trying to tell me the same thing back in November, there are none so deaf as those that cannot hear...

I'll let the issue rest for the time being and wait for CRK to get stock of the O-FC1 which I'm told wont be for another couple of weeks.

BTW, I've always used the mnemonic of a miserly parson to remember what parsimony means. but now I'm the one being obtuse.....
04-28-2014, 05:57 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
At the risk of showing off my prodigious technological illiteracy, I wish to re-visit this subject.

Today I recieved the official pentax O-FC1 in the mail. I loaded into the SD2 lot and turned the camera on and ried to connect it to my i-pad. The first time I tried it connected, and I got as far as the opening screen of the flucard 'app' but i could not get it to connect to a web browser. I get the error message 'safari cannot open the page because it cannot connect to the server.'

hmmm

I tried the same with my i-phone and hey presto! it all works first time every time. I can change camera settings, take pictures and view them in playback, so that all sems ok.

so is the issue with the card or my i-pad?

Also, I tried the option from the playback menu 'eye-fi image transfer', but the K-3 tells me 'no eye-fi card inserted in the sd2 slot'

Any help from i-pad or flu card experts would be appreciated.

04-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #38
Forum Member

Can't help with IOS as I have Android Tablet and phone. Took me a long while to get my head around the fact that you must disconnect your device from it's current network, then network camera and tablet together.
04-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
At the risk of showing off my prodigious technological illiteracy, I wish to re-visit this subject.

Today I recieved the official pentax O-FC1 in the mail. I loaded into the SD2 lot and turned the camera on and ried to connect it to my i-pad. The first time I tried it connected, and I got as far as the opening screen of the flucard 'app' but i could not get it to connect to a web browser. I get the error message 'safari cannot open the page because it cannot connect to the server.'

hmmm

I tried the same with my i-phone and hey presto! it all works first time every time. I can change camera settings, take pictures and view them in playback, so that all sems ok.

so is the issue with the card or my i-pad?

Also, I tried the option from the playback menu 'eye-fi image transfer', but the K-3 tells me 'no eye-fi card inserted in the sd2 slot'

Any help from i-pad or flu card experts would be appreciated.
Sounds like you home wifi is stronger than the OFc1 and the i-pad flicked back to your home LAN

IOS will do this , try changing ofc1 channel as congestion may be the issue.

"
Also, I tried the option from the playback menu 'eye-fi image transfer', but the K-3 tells me 'no eye-fi card inserted in the sd2 slot'"

Again flucard <> OFC1 <> eye-fi

Eye-fi is a card maker

WiFi SD Cards: Eyefi Memory Cards: Wireless Photo and Video Uploads from your Camera to your Computer & the Web | Eye-Fi

If it ain't an eyefi card you can't use "eye-fi image transfer" , you can't fool the camera

pg80 of the manual tell you what the camera will do with each type of card

the ofc1 is controlled from the browser so you can only turn it on or off.

Eye-fi you can setup remote transfers
04-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks for chipping in once again

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Sounds like you home wifi is stronger than the OFc1 and the i-pad flicked back to your home LAN

IOS will do this , try changing ofc1 channel as congestion may be the issue.
Something screwy is going on. I can report that my i-phone still runs the browser app, but now without the live view. Everything else works - settings, focal point etc, but I am constantly getting a message that "the operation could not be completed successfully'.

When I tap the 'live view' button, I can see the screen change in that the focus point appears, but other than that it is black and blank.

I changed to channel 11 as suggested, but it makes no difference that I can see. I-phone connects, but is faulty in operation, I-pad cannot connect despite being inches away from the I-phone.

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
"Also, I tried the option from the playback menu 'eye-fi image transfer', but the K-3 tells me 'no eye-fi card inserted in the sd2 slot'"

Again flucard <> OFC1 <> eye-fi

Eye-fi is a card maker

WiFi SD Cards: Eyefi Memory Cards: Wireless Photo and Video Uploads from your Camera to your Computer & the Web | Eye-Fi

If it ain't an eyefi card you can't use "eye-fi image transfer" , you can't fool the camera

pg80 of the manual tell you what the camera will do with each type of card

the ofc1 is controlled from the browser so you can only turn it on or off.

Eye-fi you can setup remote transfers
Yeah, I know they are not the same. I got my education in his thread. I just wanted to report and confirm.
04-30-2014, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #41

If you have Android phone or tablet, try Wi-Fi analyzer to see that "FLUCARD_for_PENTAX" is stronger enough than others.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer