Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Error Message:'No eye-Fi card inserted in SD2 slot'

If I scroll to page 3 of the configuration menu, item 4 'Wireless Memory card" or, if I go playback mode, press the down arrow to access the menu and then select 'Transfers selected images from Eye-Fi card" I get the error message

"No eye-Fi card inserted in SD2 slot'

There most certainly IS a flu card installed in the slot, and its working with both my PC and my I-pad. (its clunky, but it works)

Is it me, or is it an 'undocumented feature' (aka - a bug)

Any ideas folks?

11-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
If I scroll to page 3 of the configuration menu, item 4 'Wireless Memory card" or, if I go playback mode, press the down arrow to access the menu and then select 'Transfers selected images from Eye-Fi card" I get the error message

There most certainly IS a flu card installed in the slot, and its working with both my PC and my I-pad. (its clunky, but it works)

Any ideas folks?
The K-3 has native eye-fi support in addition to flucard support for tethering, so perhaps the former is required for that particular type of file transfer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Any ideas folks?
Throw something at me if I'm being silly, but the slot towards the back is #2, the second one in is #1.
11-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam, but I don't think I'm following you

Do you mean if I put a brand of Eye-Fi card other than the one supported by Pentax into my camera, I will not get the error message?

I started looking at this because the Flu card instructions have a note tat says 'Instead of deleting the control images, you could set the DPOF on the control images to activate the respective functions.
So I went looking at the DPOF function, that I've never used before and found it missing from the K-3, and replaced by the option to 'transfer selected images from Eye-Fi card'

Colour me confused

11-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Throw something at me if I'm being silly, but the slot towards the back is #2, the second one in is #1.
Do you mean the slot with 2 written next to it is slot 2?

You'd better duck Derek, there something being thrown your way.....

Just for the hell of it, I put the flu card in slot 1 and got 'memory card error'
11-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My impression from reading the Manual (p80-81) is that you can have only a EyeFi card in the camera, or a FluCard, but not both. And whatever card you use, it has to be in slot 2.

While the EyeFi card can be configured to work on Auto on/off (default) when inserted into the slot, the Flucard has to be manually switched on or off in the camera config #3 menu. Does the problem occur if you have the Flucard explicitly set as 'On' in its menu?

Otherwise it sounds like somewhere in the camera menu tree, there is still an orphan sub-menu where K-3 still thinks it is a K-50, and is only capable of accepting EyeFi cards.
11-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
My impression from reading the Manual (p80-81) is that you can have only a EyeFi card in the camera, or a FluCard, but not both. And whatever card you use, it has to be in slot 2.

While the EyeFi card can be configured to work on Auto on/off (default) when inserted into the slot, the Flucard has to be manually switched on or off in the camera config #3 menu. Does the problem occur if you have the Flucard explicitly set as 'On' in its menu?

Otherwise it sounds like somewhere in the camera menu tree, there is still an orphan sub-menu where K-3 still thinks it is a K-50, and is only capable of accepting EyeFi cards.
Hmm, from my reading of the manual (in the PDF version it is pages 78 and 79) it appears that the camera should see either a generic Eye-fi or a flu card in slot 2. In my case it does not recognise the flu -card as being there. The Flu card works and transfers files, but the menu items are unavailable. I cannot set it 'On' as you suggest because the option is unavailable in the K-3 menu.

It's a mystery

11-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
and just for the hell of it again, I put the flu-card back in to slot 1, and the camera lets me use it now, no 'cared error' message....... curioser and curioser.

Maybe I have a faulty Flu card? (he says hopefully)
11-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
and just for the hell of it again, I put the flu-card back in to slot 1, and the camera lets me use it now, no 'cared error' message....... curioser and curioser.

Maybe I have a faulty Flu card? (he says hopefully)
There was a post about this before - can't remember where, but I think it's more just the way it is.

The card still works, so it's possibly an interface thing.

Maybe it's like Eye-Fi cards in K-5s etc - no recognition, but they still do their thing.

AB
11-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #10
Forum Member

Wiz,

I can confirm your observations, using a "vanilla" 8Gb Flu card.

The card itself operates correctly, using the directions as provided with the card. However, the K-3 does not acknowledge the presence of the card - as a Flu Card - in either slot.

The card does otherwise behave like a standard SD card in terms of recording photo images.

It *may* be that the K-3 only acknowledges the Pentax proprietary Flu-Card and not the standard versions. Eye-Fi is a company which makes its own wi-fi SD cards.
11-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Mutters, I'll see what I can find. I did do a search before I started this thread though, and came up empty handed.

Paul, thanks for the confirmation. I think its a software bug. The manual is pretty clear that either a generic eye-fi or a Flu card should activate these menu's. From the top right of page 79 in the manual

"A memory card with a built in wireless LAN "eye-Fi card" (Wi-Fi transmission) or a "Flucard" compatible with this camera can be used.
snip
Select the camera action when using an eye-Fi or a Flucard in [Wireless Memory Card] of the (spanner symbol) menu."

That is either very bad grammar - which is possible- and they mean any Wi-Fi and a 'Flucard which is compatible' or they mean 'any eye-fi or flu card which is compatible' and there is a bug in the camera.(or the Flucard)
11-12-2013, 01:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Hmm, from my reading of the manual (in the PDF version it is pages 78 and 79)
Interesting. I only have the PDF version, and mine has the Wireless Card info on p80-81. Pic related below. I wonder if there are newer or different versions of the PDF manual floating about. At the bottom of my version it says:

"OPK300201 RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. 2013
FOM 01.10.2013 Printed in Europe"
Attached Images

11-12-2013, 02:03 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting, On page 112 of my PDF manual it says 'printed in Philippines''
Dunno what the printed one says, as I have not even taken it out of the plastic wrapper.
11-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Interesting, On page 112 of my PDF manual it says 'printed in Philippines''
Dunno what the printed one says, as I have not even taken it out of the plastic wrapper.
Hopefully all these quirks get resolved through firmware. When I spoke with Pentax at photoplus, they said that the flucard wouldn't be finalized until December, and that all they had in the office was a very early prototype (they couldn't get it to work at the show), so I'm surprised that the flucards are already shipping in Australia. I hope that they didn't end up shipping the beta versions!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #15
Forum Member

The cards distributed in Australia are 8Gb Flucard Pro - a standard Flucard product. These are not purported to be the Pentax proprietary 16Gb Flucards.