Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K3 Jpeg EXIF Data is missing values

Hi,

I have been trying to run FocusTune with LensAlign to set Autofocus Adjustment for my various lenses. It seems that the OOC Jpeg EXIF data does not include the value of the Autofocus Fine Adjustment. This was not a problem on my K5iis. Has anyone else come across this issue? If so is there anything I can set in the camera to solve it? Also has anyone else found other EXIF values to be absent?

11-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Hi,

I have been trying to run FocusTune with LensAlign to set Autofocus Adjustment for my various lenses. It seems that the OOC Jpeg EXIF data does not include the value of the Autofocus Fine Adjustment. This was not a problem on my K5iis. Has anyone else come across this issue? If so is there anything I can set in the camera to solve it? Also has anyone else found other EXIF values to be absent?
I had a look at a DNG file with EXIFTool (via the GUI) and it appears there. I shoot raw so can't check a OOC Jpeg for you.
Attached Images

11-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for checking. I haven't had much luck getting my head around EXIFTool or the GUI. DCU5 simply has "---" under AFA Adjustment. However FocusTune has a value of zero. I had test shots with AFA adjustment values of -10, -8, -6, -2, 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10. These all show as zeros in FocusTune. Therefore I am not sure that the value you have showing in the EXITool GUI is actually valid. Di your lens have no fine tuning applied? I'll check a DNG file in DCU5.
11-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have checked both PEF and DNG files in DCU5 and neither has any Exif data for AFAdjustment. Now to try and get EXIFTool to work for me!

11-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
dbh
Inactive Account

Thanks for checking. I haven't had much luck getting my head around EXIFTool or the GUI. DCU5 simply has "---" under AFA Adjustment. However FocusTune has a value of zero. I had test shots with AFA adjustment values of -10, -8, -6, -2, 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10. These all show as zeros in FocusTune. Therefore I am not sure that the value you have showing in the EXITool GUI is actually valid. Di your lens have no fine tuning applied? I'll check a DNG file in DCU5.
None of my lenses have any focus adjustments applied, and to my eyes focus is spot-on.
Anyway, make sure you get the latest Exiftool as I think there have been a few Pentax-related updates recently. It's up to ver 9.40
ExifTool by Phil Harvey
Do you find you need to apply much correction for your lenses?
11-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
None of my lenses have any focus adjustments applied, and to my eyes focus is spot-on.
Anyway, make sure you get the latest Exiftool as I think there have been a few Pentax-related updates recently. It's up to ver 9.40
ExifTool by Phil Harvey
It varies quite a lot. On my K5iis I applied the following adjustments.

DA*16-50 +6 (best setting over zoom average)
DA*60-250 +2 (best setting over zoom average)
DA*300mm +2
DA 70mm ltd +1
DA 35mm macro ltd +7
DA 15mm ltd (no adjustment)
18-55mm WR +4 (best setting over zoom average)

These values were derived from FocusTune and I found the results noticeably better to my eye. I definitely need to determine what the best settings are for my 35mm macro on the K-3 as at the moment I can't get an in focus image out of it, whilst it's fine on the K5iis. Meanwhile the 70mm is spot on at +1.

Thanks for the link to EXIFTools, that's the version I currently have, but I can't work out how to get the GUI to know that I have EXIFTools running.
11-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
ExifTool by Phil Harvey
OK. Got EXIFTool GUI up and running. The AF adjustment values are there in the EXIF data. But it seems that Pentax's own DCU5 and FocusTune cannot read that component. So, it appears as if RICOH imaging somehow changed the EXIF data's transparency to other software. I can't think of one good reason why they might want to do that, but maybe that will become apparent at some point down the line. If it doesn't then they should revert to the old EXIF format (as close as possible) via the next firmware release.

11-14-2013, 02:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK. Got EXIFTool GUI up and running. The AF adjustment values are there in the EXIF data. But it seems that Pentax's own DCU5 and FocusTune cannot read that component. So, it appears as if RICOH imaging somehow changed the EXIF data's transparency to other software. I can't think of one good reason why they might want to do that, but maybe that will become apparent at some point down the line. If it doesn't then they should revert to the old EXIF format (as close as possible) via the next firmware release.
Explanation here :Re: One for Exif geeks - esp. K3 owning ones.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
11-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Dave. Not that that 'little-endian byte order' means much to me. Something new to learn about.
11-14-2013, 03:22 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks Dave. Not that that 'little-endian byte order' means much to me. Something new to learn about.
It's just to do with the ordering of data bytes.

As an example, think of a 16-bit number composed of 2 x 8-bit bytes.

Little endian would mean that the byte holding the lower 8 bits is placed before the byte with the upper 8 bits. Big endian means that the byte holding the high bits is placed first.

Software needs to know this so it can swap around data bytes, if needed, to make correct sense of data.