Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Queued

You said "It will not be MY camera, I still have a 5DmrkII ( but jonesing bad for the Nikon df ), Fuji X-Pro1, Fuji X100, Pentax Q"

I'm a Pentax fanboy but if you have the 5D2 and she sticks with Canon then you can share lenses, flashes, etc. Seems like it would keep cost down and stop duplication. The K3 will have similar image quality and build quality as the 5D3 but that might not be your best choice. I say 6D would be better for you guys.

11-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm shocked that no one has recommended the K-50...

Yes the K-3 is the much higher end model, but if it's so your wife can improve the quality of her (non-sport action) shots, I'm really confused as to why this hasn't been brought up. Selling the 70-200 f/2.8 will absolutely finance a DA* 50-135 and a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. Or skip the 50-135 and go 17-50 + 55-300 WR + DFA 100mm Macro WR.

-Heie

Edit: just seeing that you have Canon FF. Disregard unless you want to jump on a K-3 for yourself, in which case you can continue sharing lenses. "Babe...I'd like to get you a new camera! How's the weather sealed Pentax K-50 sound? Oh, and just a side note, just to ensure we can share lenses together, I got myself a K-3. Don't worry about it, you'll love your K-50"
11-15-2013, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #18
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Edit: just seeing that you have Canon FF. Disregard unless you want to jump on a K-3 for yourself, in which case you can continue sharing lenses. "Babe...I'd like to get you a new camera! How's the weather sealed Pentax K-50 sound? Oh, and just a side note, just to ensure we can share lenses together, I got myself a K-3. Don't worry about it, you'll love your K-50"
Wich color would you like dear? I got myself a Silver K-3.
11-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Queued Quote
Since she does have lenses that would need to be replaced ( 50mm f/1.8, 17-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 ) financially it would make more sense to upgrade to the 70D than change manufacturers, but the Pentax K-3 is really calling to me with it's low light performance, in-body stabilization, weather sealing, etc.
Yuo nailed the question perfectly. Of course around here you will get answers from Pentax users, so no bias is optimistic. Most of us don't really know the Canon system all that well.

It is something that I would discuss with your wife. There are perks to upgrading to a more advanced and high-end body, and there are perks to the Pentax system. But SHE will be using it. Also, since you too have a Canon camera, lens duplication might be avoided if you both use the Canon system.

11-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
My two suggestions:
1. get her a gift card for the budget you have in mind, then let her compare systems and decide.
2. talk with her about your ideas, and while it may eliminate the element of surprise, she will get what she wants.

I know that comparing camera specs on paper is not always valid, but I will say that I am always surprised at the low ISO limitations of Nikon and Canon. Most bodies I've seen max ISO at 6400 while the K-5ii goes to 51,200. I don't know if that means the Canonikon offerings can shoot with the same shutter speed at 6400 with the same lack of noise as my K-5ii. But I see those numbers and think that indoors, with sports, the Pentax K-5ii/s or K-3 makes the most sense, except for the whole replacing glass thing.

Also, you haven't mentioned if you have Lightroom 5 or not, but I would definitely recommend LR5: In fact, I would say that for $149, it may be the cheapest way to quickly improve one's shots, assuming one shoots RAW exclusively, or begins to shoot RAW all the time.
11-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tele_pathic Quote
My two suggestions:
1. get her a gift card for the budget you have in mind, then let her compare systems and decide.
2. talk with her about your ideas, and while it may eliminate the element of surprise, she will get what she wants.

I know that comparing camera specs on paper is not always valid, but I will say that I am always surprised at the low ISO limitations of Nikon and Canon. Most bodies I've seen max ISO at 6400 while the K-5ii goes to 51,200. I don't know if that means the Canonikon offerings can shoot with the same shutter speed at 6400 with the same lack of noise as my K-5ii. But I see those numbers and think that indoors, with sports, the Pentax K-5ii/s or K-3 makes the most sense, except for the whole replacing glass thing.

Also, you haven't mentioned if you have Lightroom 5 or not, but I would definitely recommend LR5: In fact, I would say that for $149, it may be the cheapest way to quickly improve one's shots, assuming one shoots RAW exclusively, or begins to shoot RAW all the time.
I might have to let her handle the other bodies, it will remove the "surprise" element, but better before than "Surprise!, I don't like this one !" later.
She already has LR5 and CS6, and shoots only RAW. In the end, the differences between the K-3 and 70d might not justify switching brands at this point....but I may let her make the call to keep me out of hot water.
11-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Queued Quote
I may let her make the call to keep me out of hot water.
That's experience talking. Good man. I been married 20 years, and I know that what you say is true!

11-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #23

I wrestled with a very similar problem, but for some different reasons. I'm a Nikonian and had (still have) a D7000, which is pretty much a perfect camera. I'm also pretty invested in glass for the system. I've been looking at the K-3 since it's announcement for some time because, as the poster above mentioned about Canon, Nikon's support for APS-C seems to be drying up and I wasn't sure if I was willing to spend the money making the jump to FF.

I really like Pentax as an option for a pure APS-C shooter because basically they just released the best APS-C in the world, the K-3 (aka K400, lol) and they have a huge amount of support for the system with their lenses. I could put a 15mm limited and a Lester Dine 105 in my bag and probably never need another lens expect the occasional telephoto zoom.

So I had a choice: 1) buy inappropriate FF glass for my APS body (14-24, Zeiss Primes) knowing I'm going to go full frame at some point which does nothing for me *now* 2) hope that next week Nikon releases a fast wide angle prime and fleshes out the DX line 3) Spend the money on a whole new system that (mostly) delivers what I want 4) buy a used D700 and partially retire the D7000.

I wound up going with option 4 because once you're invested in a system, and you learn it, it makes your growth and development as a photographer smoother. I'll be able to pick up the D700 and shoot it in manual right away and throw my 80-200 and 105 and 50 on there and have them actually represent that focal length and not have to do a calculation to determine what you're actually getting. Also, once you use that pro glass, it's real hard to go back.

I'd suggest something similar for your wife. You've already got a decent fast telefauxto zoom at what, 105-450?, a reasonably useful portrait prime at 75mm, and something at the wide end. For APS-C shooting, you're covered off! So unless she's enough of an enthusiast that she knows what she wants out of her system and how Pentax K-3 exceeds her needs, I think sticking with Canon (though it pains me to say it) is the right choice.
11-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #24

I switched from Canon to Pentax 2 years ago. Ergonomically it was easy to get used to the Pentax layout. I am glad though that I didn't sell that much of my Canon equipment because my K10D died a few months ago and I can't afford to replace it right now. I've still got a K-01, but I prefer a DSLR. So I've had to go back to my Canon stuff. It is hard to go back to the Canon way after Pentax. My advice would be that if you don't know whether or not you'll stay with Pentax in the future, then stay with Canon.
11-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
Well it comes down to the lenses and you already have lenses that are really above the camera body she has so I would buy the camera to match the lenses.

Exactly!

Stay with Canon. The zooms she has are great. There is nothing to compare to the 70-200 in a Pentax mount.

Pentax AF has traditionally not been as good as Canon or Nikon. The 70D AF is basically the 7D AF.
11-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Exactly!

Stay with Canon. The zooms she has are great. There is nothing to compare to the 70-200 in a Pentax mount.
Dude, she has a Sigma. They make the same exact lens for Pentax.
11-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Go the gift voucher route. 7D2 probably not far off, otherwise 70d is a fine camera.
11-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

She has a great Canon lens set. I don't see any reason to make her switch to Pentax, unless you think she wants to. I'd say a 70D or just sit down and talk with her about it. She might prefer the size of the Rebel line.
11-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #29
Veteran Member

My shooting partner was in the same boat two weeks ago and decided to stay with Canon. She thought we could share my Pentax glass but I informed her that it made sense (my thinking) to stay with with Canon since she has so much invested in Canon glass the 70D was a simple choice to make. One deciding factor was AF tracking as sport shooting is something she wants to get into the next season.
11-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tele_pathic Quote
My two suggestions: 1. get her a gift card for the budget you have in mind, then let her compare systems and decide. 2. talk with her about your ideas, and while it may eliminate the element of surprise, she will get what she wants.
My idea exactly - and I was just about to post it.

I'll add that the note inside the box or envelope to make an entire day of visiting the camera store, trying out Pentax and DA lenses, Canon stuff, lunch or dinner - whatever else you can think of that tells her this is a present will be good tactics.

Once gave my wife an Apple card and an appointment email confirmation at the Apple Store for December 26. I had put enough on the card for a mid-range MacPro, which I had originally intended to just buy and put under the tree.

She went straight to the MacBooks. Boy was I surprised, but I never told.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-17-2013 at 11:18 AM.