Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been using Focus Tune for almost a year now without the LensAlign. Also Focus Tune has worked with Pentax cameras since v2.0.

As a matter of fact I used it today with a DA 35mm 2.4.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-17-2016 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Removed link to parked URL
11-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
if you want confidence in your settings then I strongly recommend FocusTune 3.0.

Yes, I agree with your findings. It is the repeatability of the testing that makes FocusTune 3.0 particularly encouraging. I say "encouraging" as its accuracy of calibration actually gives me 'courage' to take lenses out and shoot with them knowing that they have been correctly paired with the body they are mounted on. There was a period in my photographic experience when I was not weighed down by doubt about pairing, I just thought lens X was better than lens Y. Then I found out about AFadjustment. Then I was all 'how on earth do I get the adjustment right'. I then went through a period of 'that seems right' and went back to confidence in lens X or Y. With the unselected lens lying unused on a shelf due to 'not seeming good'.

The I got Focus Tune 2.0 and saw evidence of 'wrongness' in lenses; not hunches of uselessness. I was able to correct for this 'wrongness' but still required a eye straining comparison of actual shots to verify success of the correction. The more I use FocusTune 3.0 the more I trust the recommended AFA value. On top of that I am seeing the effect of being 'non zeroed' on some lenses. FocusTune 3.0 not only reports on the best AFA setting, but the FOCUS CONISTENCY or shots at any given AFadjustment value. This has led me to find that my DA 35mm macro Ltd has excellent focus consistency at AFA '0'. However, it requires an AFA of +6 to be near focusing on the desired subject without back focus. At AFA +5 the focus consistency is poor but centred around the desired subject distance.

So, I now know I have a 'bad' copy of the 35mm Macro Ltd. Now should I sell it on to some poor unsuspecting proto pentaxian? Or should I send it to a Pentax Service Centre with instruction to resolve a +6 back focus issue? Actually I don't yet know, but I have sent the lens away to be adjusted -5 on the K-3 adjustment scale without sending my camera body as well. Let's wait and see how this works out, but my take is that if the focus consistency at AFA '0, remains good and the lens is adjusted -6 AFA I should get a much better 35mm macro Ltd back soon. I'll let y'all know how that goes.

Last edited by unkipunki; 11-30-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Numerical error
11-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The FocusTune Version 3 has not been introduced yet. The Pentax K-3 EXIF may be different than the EXIF versions in prior Pentx cameras. Until a few days ago FocusTune version 3 did not work with the K-3. It does now and the level of automation it provides is excellent see
for an overview
11-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I've been using Focus Tune for almost a year now without the LensAlign. Also Focus Tune has worked with Pentax cameras since v2.0.

As a matter of fact I used it today with a DA 35mm 2.4.

Yes that's the graph of FocusTune 2.0 which only factors in image 'sharpness'. In my experience WB and Exposure variation (cause by lighting variation) can sometimes fool the 2.0 software when only 'sharpness' is used. The upcoming release 3.0 factors in the actual center of focus on the LensAlign ruler combined with image 'sharpness' value. Consequently the results are more robust and have given me a few surprises, especially when it comes to the consistency of performance at a given AFA. No doubt FocusTune 2.0 without a LensAlign is very helpful and leads to more successful Auto Foucus photography, but Version 3.0 with LensAlign is adding to my confidence using all my lenses, or giving me more confidence that certain lenses are not performing as they should. My 35mm macro reported +8 in FT 2.0 on my K5iis. But with the same body it is definitely +7 in FT 3.0 and +6 on the K-3. I am sure this producing better AF results, but as my other recent post pointed out the cosnstency of focus (shot deviation) between +8 and +10 is very poor relative to the back focused + '0'. +1, and +2 which have tighter grouping. I would not have known this without V3.0 reporting. I am currently using the GoldBeta version of 3.0.

Attached Images

11-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
The FocusTune Version 3 has not been introduced yet. The Pentax K-3 EXIF may be different than the EXIF versions in prior Pentx cameras. Until a few days ago FocusTune version 3 did not work with the K-3. It does now and the level of automation it provides is excellent see for an overview

Yes the K-3 |Jpeg EXIF is definitely different to previous bodies (K5xx). I sent a sample Jpeg to Michael Tapes and he has accommodated the new EXIF format for the 3.0 Goldbeta and the upcoming full v.3.0/
11-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Yes that's the graph of FocusTune 2.0 which only factors in image 'sharpness'. In my experience WB and Exposure variation (cause by lighting variation) can sometimes fool the 2.0 software when only 'sharpness' is used. The upcoming release 3.0 factors in the actual center of focus on the LensAlign ruler combined with image 'sharpness' value. Consequently the results are more robust and have given me a few surprises, especially when it comes to the consistency of performance at a given AFA. No doubt FocusTune 2.0 without a LensAlign is very helpful and leads to more successful Auto Foucus photography, but Version 3.0 with LensAlign is adding to my confidence using all my lenses, or giving me more confidence that certain lenses are not performing as they should. My 35mm macro reported +8 in FT 2.0 on my K5iis. But with the same body it is definitely +7 in FT 3.0 and +6 on the K-3. I am sure this producing better AF results, but as my other recent post pointed out the cosnstency of focus (shot deviation) between +8 and +10 is very poor relative to the back focused + '0'. +1, and +2 which have tighter grouping. I would not have known this without V3.0 reporting. I am currently using the GoldBeta version of 3.0.

It's great to hear that Mr. Tapes has taken Focus Tune to the next level.Even when using v2.0 without LensAlign I know I wasn't getting perfect results, but for the time when I needed it worked well enough. I had to prove to myself that my K-5 was exhibiting AF float so to speak and Focus Tune helped me prove that.

When I watched the v3.0 introductory video I can see how he has incorporated the new LensAlign to give even better and more consistent results.

I've learned so much about my own gear from all this and as you say it is such a nice feeling to go out shooting knowing that you have your camera and lenses tuned as perfectly as they can be.