Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2013, 01:06 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-3 and FocusTune update

Hi,

I have been having an issue with FocusTune V.2.0 and V. 3.0 Goldbeta not being able to read the OOC JPEG EXIFs from the K-3. I have been in contact with Michael Tapes (of Michael Tapes Design) and he has provided me with an updated cam.dat file. This has solved the issue and the good news is that the next Full Version 3.0 release will be K-3 EXIF compliant. I am sure that, in the interim, anyone who is trying to use the software without the updated cam.dat file could contact Michael and get copy of the file. Alternatively you could PM me and I could pass on a copy.

I intend to calibrate all my lenses over this weekend and will post a comparison of the AFadjustment values needed for my lenses on the K-3 and my K5iis as there seems to be some interest in this subject on the forum.

Last edited by unkipunki; 11-15-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: grammatical error
11-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for that. I've been meaning to use FocusTune to adjust all my lenses, but I've been too busy during the days, so it was on my list for this weekend. I'll give Michael an email shout!
11-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I've been meaning to use FocusTune to adjust all my lenses
You're welcome. I was beginning to think I was the only Focus Tune user with a K-3 (and visa versa).
11-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
You're welcome. I was beginning to think I was the only Focus Tune user with a K-3 (and visa versa).
Just getting ready to use Focus Tune with my lenses - I will get a copy of the file or be back in touch with you. Thanks for posting this.

11-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd never heard of this software before, but I just went to the site and watched the video. I'm intrigued, but before going through all that it requires, I think I'll wait for a firmware update or two for the K-3. Firmware updates for previous bodies have changed what adjustments were needed, and sometimes they've even negated the need for any adjustment at all. I just went through all my lenses the old-fashioned way with the replacement K-3 that I received today and I feel pretty confident about the few AF adjustments I needed, other than with one lens, which I'm still not sure about. Still, glad to know this exists if firmware doesn't end up being a cure-all.
11-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I hadn't heard of it, either. Does one need the Lens Align to use the software?
11-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I hadn't heard of it, either. Does one need the Lens Align to use the software?
Yes - it makes the adjustment calculation automatically - before it was subjective. You also need a new target for the lens alighn.
Check their web site

11-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's the total cost to get started with this ?

Too lazy to go check ...

JP
11-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Yes - it makes the adjustment calculation automatically - before it was subjective. You also need a new target for the lens alighn.
Check their web site
Thanks. I'd done a cursory browse but missed that.
11-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Check their web site
I've used Focus Tune many times with my K-5 and K-5IIs without the LensAlign. I just use the printed target that Michael provides.
11-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
Forum Member

not to be rude but for the love of god people need to make short version of their marketing materials of "what my product does"
it could be great software but I really don't want to spend my saturday trying to find out what it does without guessing and what goes with what and what extra do i need for it.....
i pass till then....
11-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Croc Quote
not to be rude but for the love of god people need to make short version of their marketing materials of "what my product does"
It is a bit of cumbersome route to learn the pros, cons and functions of FocusTune. And it may be time consuming. Personally I'd rather spend time doing that than time wondering why my photos have a highly inconsistent focus accuracy with all the associated frustrations and wasted time actually taking photographs. There is an 8min45sec video of that the upcoming V 3.0 actually does at:

If you can spare 10 minutes it might allow you make a judgment as to whether you might want to go down this route or not. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I think it's brought the best out of my camera body/lens combinations. All I need to do now I have faith in the equipment is to become a vaguely competent photographer.
11-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
It is a bit of cumbersome route to learn the pros, cons and functions of FocusTune. And it may be time consuming. Personally I'd rather spend time doing that than time wondering why my photos have a highly inconsistent focus accuracy with all the associated frustrations and wasted time actually taking photographs. There is an 8min45sec video of that the upcoming V 3.0 actually does at:

If you can spare 10 minutes it might allow you make a judgment as to whether you might want to go down this route or not. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I think it's brought the best out of my camera body/lens combinations. All I need to do now I have faith in the equipment is to become a vaguely competent photographer.
i agree with you 100% about OOF photos and I would give myself a lot of time to learn the whole product line they offering but if it is what i think it is then it wouldn't be hard to make short clip or just half a page with more "to the point" info so I can tell if I'm interested or not....
11-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Croc Quote
I would give myself a lot of time to learn the whole product line they offering but if it is what i think it is then it wouldn't be hard to make short clip or just half a page with more "to the point" info so I can tell if I'm interested or not....
Fair comment. I'm not a sales rep for the product, I just like it. On another note I'm not sure whether the shipping costs I experienced to the UK would be more or less than it would be to the Moon.
11-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I recommend the soon to be announced FocusTune 3.0 system to those interested in accurately setting auto focus fine tuning adjustments on their Pentax cameras.

Just received the final Beta version for FocusTune version 3 that comes with the ability to read Pentax EXIF. I have versions running on both my MacBookPro and Windows 7 system.

So far both versions work flawlessly. The results I have achieved are repeatable, run the test a couple of times and you get the same result. This gives me confidence that the fine focus adjustments for the lenses are pretty good. I can no longer blame anything on front or back focus. Doing this manually in the past the results were not repeatable, too much subjectivity, tired eyes and boring pictures to evaluate. FocusTune 3 is automatic after you set up the system correctly.

There is overhead setting up your auto focus fine adjustments for all your cameras and auto focus lenses. For using the automated version from Michael Tapes you need to buy LensAlighn, FocusTune and a special FocusTune target. I bought LensALighn years ago but I am guessing the cash outlay today for all three items is probably around $125. The real overhead is running the tests carefully for all your lenses, it takes time BUT you only have to do this once for each camera/lens combination. So I'll be doing this on two camera bodies and with 5 lenses.

I did the fine focus adjustment manually years ago with my K-5 and some lenses. Manually is tough since the DOF and focus get blurred in my brain after awhile and it was subjective. Better than nothing, but subjective.

With FocusTune 3 the results are programmatic and repeatable. I keep emphasizing repeatable because in my mind that means it is a result I have faith in being correct.

So if you're concerned about getting the best auto focus fine tune adjustments for your gear I recommend FocusTune 3 which should be available on the web December 10. Yeah you can download some forms, print them, do this manually and save about $125 but if you want confidence in your settings then I strongly recommend FocusTune 3.0.