Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K-3 Power-on issue

I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this problem with their K-3. It is not repeatable every time, but happens about 1/3 of the time under the following conditions:

1. D-BG5 grip installed.
2. Pentax D-LI90 batteries installed in both body and grip.
3. "Select Battery" set to 'Grip First'.
4. Flip the power switch on the body to ON position. Nothing happens - camera does not power on.

Switching to OFF position and then ON again will start the camera sometimes.

I thought there was something wrong with the grip, because it didn't happen when the grip was not installed, but I have since switched the "Select Battery" setting to 'Auto', and so far the problem has not repeated itself.

11-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There has been quite a number of threads citing power issues when the grip is used. While such issues have also happened with earlier models, it sounds like Pentax has some instabilities to fix via the K-3's firmware...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rskura Quote
I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this problem with their K-3. It is not repeatable every time, but happens about 1/3 of the time under the following conditions:

1. D-BG5 grip installed.
4. Flip the power switch on the body to ON position. Nothing happens - camera does not power on.

I thought there was something wrong with the grip, because it didn't happen when the grip was not installed, but I have since switched the "Select Battery" setting to 'Auto', and so far the problem has not repeated itself.
Same problem for me, regardless of the Select Battery setting. Only way to avoid it, in my case, is to remove one of the batteries.
Then it never happens. Reports of this bug are rare so I think the camera is operating right at the edge of something and I'm optimistic new firmware can resolve it. Not such a huge problem, once you find a temporary solution, but annoying enough to have me checking the Ricoh site daily.
11-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
Same problem for me, regardless of the Select Battery setting. Only way to avoid it, in my case, is to remove one of the batteries.
Then it never happens. Reports of this bug are rare so I think the camera is operating right at the edge of something and I'm optimistic new firmware can resolve it. Not such a huge problem, once you find a temporary solution, but annoying enough to have me checking the Ricoh site daily.
Thanks, it's good to know it's not just me having the problem. I was thinking of sending my grip back to B&H, but if the problem is experienced by others I'm sure it will be addressed - hopefully with a firmware release.

By the way, it has since happened to me on the AUTO setting as well, so it matches with what you are seeing as well.

11-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, yesterday was my first time using the grip. After attaching the grip I turned on the camera and it froze, the screen remaining the same even if the camera was switched off. I was flabbergasted. And a little nervous as the soccer match I was scheduled to shoot was ten minutes from starting. So I unhitched the grip and removed the battery and life was good. But that's strike one against the camera and Ricoh. They should have rigorously tested stuff like that prior to releasing a product.

M
11-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

1. D-BG5 grip installed.
You don't mention whether the grip itself was switched on. That would seem to be a necessary condition for it to work.
11-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You don't mention whether the grip itself was switched on. That would seem to be a necessary condition for it to work.
The grip was not powered on and it shouldn't have to be. I used my K-7 with D-BG4 grip for years and only turned on the grip if I was shooting in portrait mode. Besides, even if that were the case with the K-3, sometimes it comes on and sometimes it doesn't. It is erratic behavior.

11-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

1. D-BG5 grip installed.

I had the same/similar problem - I thought I also tried taking the grip off and just using the K-3 without the grip.I also tried several battery changes. I sent the camera (Silver Edition) back to B&H and had them send me a replacement (regular K-3) with the Grip on order. I also contacted Pentax support and they recommended sending the unit back. The replacement grip is on back-order so I have the K-3 but no grip at this time.
11-19-2013, 05:26 AM   #9

I have this power on problem with the grip. What I have noticed is, if the camera has been turned off for about 30 minutes or more the problem occurs. When you turn the camera back on and nothing happens, if you leave it turned on for about 20-30 seconds, then turn it off and back on again it powers up correctly.
At the Pentax K3 launch in Sydney today, there was a lady from Ricoh Japan present. Her English was excellent and I managed to demonstrate the problem to her. She told me they were not aware of this problem and thanked me for bringing it too their notice. She will report back about the problem and stated that it will probably just need a firmware update to fix it.

Peter
11-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
She told me they were not aware of this problem
Sigh. Don't Ricoh have a team of people (or some contractors) monitoring the web for user experience and problem reports for Ricoh products, like the K-3 or GR or the latest photocopier? I am disappoint.

People posting their problem reports here kind of assume that Ricoh is listening, and using all their feedback to help improve the product, eg via firmware adjustments (after bug testing and verification by Ricoh labs). Doesn't sound like that assumption is justified.
11-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
I have this power on problem with the grip. What I have noticed is, if the camera has been turned off for about 30 minutes or more the problem occurs. When you turn the camera back on and nothing happens, if you leave it turned on for about 20-30 seconds, then turn it off and back on again it powers up correctly.
At the Pentax K3 launch in Sydney today, there was a lady from Ricoh Japan present. Her English was excellent and I managed to demonstrate the problem to her. She told me they were not aware of this problem and thanked me for bringing it too their notice. She will report back about the problem and stated that it will probably just need a firmware update to fix it.

Peter
Exact issue I had, including the timing issues for turning the power on.
AND
When I called Pentax support they told me to return the camera since it was not working. I returned the Silver edition and received the black K-3 with the grip on back order.

Last edited by RockvilleBob; 11-19-2013 at 08:37 AM.
11-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Exact issue I had, including the timing issues for turning the power on.
AND
When I called Pentax support they told me to return the camera since it was not working. I returned the Silver edition and received the black K-3 with the grip on back order.
I emailed Pentax support regarding this same problem and have yet to get a reply.
If this problem turns out to be common and fixable via a firmware update, Pentax may rethink this approach to resolving the customers' concerns. Besides there be more bugs as people explore the camera's features in the real world. Fixing every issue by returning the camera could get a bit irritating.

The camera has been trouble-free for me otherwise and my workaround of using one battery will suffice while Pentax sorts out all these initial problem(s).
Please let us know here how the replacement works out!
11-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Sigh. Don't Ricoh have a team of people (or some contractors) monitoring the web for user experience and problem reports for Ricoh products, like the K-3 or GR or the latest photocopier? I am disappoint.
That's a bit unreasonable - no one is going to be paid to look around internet forums and look at people's experiences of their products. They might look at reviews done by sites they've sent units to and probably not much else.

In short, if you have an issue, report it to them. This is no different from filling a bug report for some software.

11-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
That's a bit unreasonable
Maybe. But it makes some sense to be where your customers are.

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
no one is going to be paid to look around internet forums and look at people's experiences of their products
These days there are whole industries devoted to exactly that - monitoring web sites and social media like FB, Twitter etc on behalf of companies. It's often called brand management or also reputation management, but it also goes under the heading of customer responsiveness. There are even armies of people paid to shill for certain companies on web forums, Facebook etc, spreading buzz, boosting a brand etc.
11-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

There are even armies of people paid to shill for certain companies on web forums, Facebook etc, spreading buzz, boosting a brand etc.
I'm pretty sure that borders on unethical business practices, if not crossing it, as it can be considered to be in the same vein of paying people to put fake positive reviews on websites - you think you're reading an independent opinion but it's being paid for by the parties involved.

Given that Ricoh is apparently considered to be quite the ethical company, they surely wouldn't be engaging in such practices